Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cadman

Age of people playing Doom these days!

OMG, some (most) of you are so young you wouldn't have seen Star Wars in the cinema first time round!! Now that is young! :)

Russell_P said:

OMG, some (most) of you are so young you wouldn't have seen Star Wars in the cinema first time round!! Now that is young! :)

...Meh, Im not a Star Wars fan anyways, I've only seen like 2 of 'em anyways...so it doesnt affect me that I am too young to be around at that time :P

Ravage. No, i didn't mean it like that at all. It's just one of those 'collective experience' things some of my friends talk about.

Anomaly, Ravage: not a bad thing at all to be young.
I'd wish I could go back and live those years the correct way. =(
life is rough when you make the wrong choices. stupidity cannot be... avoided, I guess.

One thing that DOES surprise me is that someone so young would find such an earnest interest in DOOM. It is the best pc game, IMO.(duh) but it hardly looks that way compared to UT2003 or something...

Opulent said:

I'd wish I could go back and live those years the correct way. =(
life is rough when you make the wrong choices. stupidity cannot be... avoided, I guess.

I know that feeling well. I don't know if it's indicative of our age group, but I do find myself thinking alot recently about the 'what if's' and at times cringing at my own stupidity. Hindsight is such a pain in the arse at times.

Opulent said:

One thing that DOES surprise me is that someone so young would find such an earnest interest in DOOM. It is the best pc game, IMO.(duh) but it hardly looks that way compared to UT2003 or something...

Well..

I've been playing doom since I was 6 (well actually 5 but it was almost my birthday) and I'm not gunna stop playing my fav. game just cuz the graphics aren't as spiffy as the games that are being released these days. I am a Doomer and that has been for many years and perhaps always will be. Plus, Im good at Dooming, I like sumthing that Im good at but yet still gives me a good challenge to test out my dooming skills.

Hey we get views from all every perspective, which makes everyone wiser. Heh, words of wisdom from a complete moron.

Cool, huh?

Opulent said:
One thing that DOES surprise me is that someone so young would find such an earnest interest in DOOM. It is the best pc game, IMO.(duh) but it hardly looks that way compared to UT2003 or something... [/B]

I'll admit, I do like the feel of games with great graphics, but what keeps me coming back to Doom is variety and creation.

I love games so much that I decided I'm going to develop games when I grow up, and so I like to create, and Doom allows that more than other games. I'm not particularly good at Doom editing, because I never can find the time, but I like looking at what other people can do. You can tell alot about a person by the Doom levels they create. I would never show mine, because everyone would know what kind of person I am right away. Not only that, but you can't just go and get new levels for other games so easily as Doom, and so you're often stuck with the same levels over and over. But not so in Doom.

ravage said:

You say it like we never ever saw Star Wars. The originals owned all tho.

OK, I know this comment has already been dealt with, but there is a big difference between seeing SW on a network broadcast or home video 20 years after its release and going "hey yeah, that's Okay, but the special effects are a bit crappy" and sitting in a darkened cinema in 1977 with your mates and going "OMG that's not possible, how did they do that, did you see the size of that space ship, cool light sabres, look at the storm troopers, all those aliens, Aieeeee the trench run...".

I was there. :-)

scorpion said:

Well, my mom (!) likes it when I build a PWAD for her with fewer monsters in it and more to 'puzzle'. Maybe not your average doom player, but a doom player none the less! She's close to 55. :-P

My mum used to be a Wold3d fanatic about four years back. I believe there isn't a wall square in all 60 levels that she hasn't checked for a secret wall. She also took a sinister pleasure in blowing away the dogs.

Trasher][ said:
My mum used to be a Wold3d fanatic about four years back. I believe there isn't a wall square in all 60 levels that she hasn't checked for a secret wall. She also took a sinister pleasure in blowing away the dogs.

I take it your mum doesn't take kind to dogs...? I let my mum read this thread and her only reaction was, like: "...some people..."

Enjay said:

OK, I know this comment has already been dealt with, but there is a big difference between seeing SW on a network broadcast or home video 20 years after its release and going "hey yeah, that's Okay, but the special effects are a bit crappy" and sitting in a darkened cinema in 1977 with your mates and going "OMG that's not possible, how did they do that, did you see the size of that space ship, cool light sabres, look at the storm troopers, all those aliens, Aieeeee the trench run...".

I was there. :-)

I saw RotJ at a drive-in when it first came out :) I don't remember much of it, though, since I was 5 at the time.

DOOM Anomaly said:

...Meh, Im not a Star Wars fan anyways, I've only seen like 2 of 'em anyways...so it doesnt affect me that I am too young to be around at that time :P

HERETIC! BURN THE HERETIC!

42 years young here!! Played all the new stuff out there, still love my Doom..ya never forget your first encounter ya know!! heheh