Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Freedoom v0.11 Emerges

It is time yet again for Freedoom to bump its version number, now measuring a hefty 0.11. Freedoom has been fully tested to be limit-removing, with almost all maps vanilla compatible. Things you'll see:

• Over 200 new textures by jmickle
  • A new C1M1 by YukiHerz, and it uses the new textures
  • Chapter 3's music now replaced with Blueworrior's excellent music
  • Various music replacements in Phase 2 and FreeDM; thanks to KevinHEZ, Blueworrior, bytebeats, Viscra Maelstrom and Blastfrog AKA Sodaholic
  • A new intermission picture by Blastfrog
  • Speaking of Blastfrog, there's a new pistol too
  • New logo for the game and website, thanks to Jewellds
  • New Plutonia patches too, by Jewellds once again
  • Freedoomguy now dies with dignity, with some fresh death screams from SeventhSentinel
  • Did I forget to mention, there are new maps too? Big thanks to Jayextee
  • And BIG applause to Catoptromancy, Amarande and Xindage AKA Protox for cleaning up Freedoom's maps
  • Best of all, they're all limit-removing, so load up a port like Crispy Doom and play!
There are even more changes, so grab a fresh copy today!

I waited a little over a year for this moment.

Downloaded for the new maps.

VVVVV - I'm replaying the whole thing from E1M1 to MAP30. There are a couple quirks here and there, but overall it is a massive improvement over 0.10.1. Also, it's like you're getting two megawads for the price of $0.00. And for an unspecified amount of time (if Freedoom still exists as a thing a century or so from now, I'll be really impressed), you also get free updates!

Honestly a huge upgrade over prior versions. Still some sprite work to be done but this is starting to look a lot more like a cohesive game than a crock pot of unrelated resources. Great work to all involved

Ralphis said:

Honestly a huge upgrade over prior versions. Still some sprite work to be done but this is starting to look a lot more like a cohesive game than a crock pot of unrelated resources. Great work to all involved

I agree. I played a self pre-release a few weeks ago and found myself thoroughly impressed.

Voros said:

• Did I forget to mention, there are new maps too? Big thanks to Jayextee

• Ah, yes. Some of those 'weird' large doors in Nex Credo? They look great with the FreeDoom textures, because I actually designed the maps with it. The truth comes out! (Actually, I think I may have mentioned that before. Once, maybe. :P)

By far the best version to date, massive improvements in map design and the resources are starting to look much more cohesive. Good stuff!

i would like it if next time i was informed before something of mine is added, specially if it's a submission that isn't ready yet

The screenshot on the homepage is misleading, if you get what I mean. The intermission texts were revamped too.

This is the first time I realised how big the Pestmeisters really are.

they are the same height as the baron (maybe a pixel taller) they look bigger because of the hunchback posture :)

anyways what i meant is that no one told me anyone was submitting it to the repo, i would like to be told from now on.

I must apologize for that. It came through as a GitHub pull request and I didn't realize you hadn't given the go ahead.

raymoohawk said:

they are the same height as the baron (maybe a pixel taller) they look bigger because of the hunchback posture :)

Still, I didn't expect them to look so intimidating in game. I'm genuinely happy with this, as Doom's Baron also delivers the same feeling of "I just crapped my pants and I'm loving it". Freedoom's progressing real well atm :D

I'll check out the latest build at some point soon. I'll probably do so on a stream, so I can supply VODs with my opinions on each level, the sprites, textures, etc.

If I thought a map could be improved quite quickly, would it be okay for me to make quick updates and send them for review?

Dragonfly said:

If I thought a map could be improved quite quickly, would it be okay for me to make quick updates and send them for review?

Why not, right?

Fair enough. :P

This is no way a promise I'll be making any changes btw :P

I'll try to remember to drop a post here when I'm about to stream. :)

Dumb question, can this be played under classic Doom or Doom 2 if all graphics and sound FX resources were stripped out?

Glaice said:

Dumb question, can this be played under classic Doom or Doom 2 if all graphics and sound FX resources were stripped out?

No, for two reasons:

• At present, some of Freedoom's maps will crash the original Doom executable because they exceed the 128 simultaneous visplanes limit.
    • Freedoom uses textures that don't exist in any of the id-published IWADs (Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Evilution, Plutonia).

I think I meant limit removing, my bad.

Also it definitely works if I strip only the spritses out but otherwise works. Good if I want to play through it with my RDND mod.

Glaice said:

Freedoom1 Episodes 1, 3, and 4 will work. Freedoom2 will start crashing out at MAP12. Not sure why anything needs stripped.

Freedoom v0.11.2 is out, giving you a more realistic titlepic, fixes some map issues and other stuff you don't really care about (Phase 1 par times, for an example). Go check it out.

The development build at http://freedoom.soulsphere.org has tons of new things though, such as two new FreeDM tracks, a (hopefully) better shotgun sound, sprites.

Edited by Voros

I tried it out, played a few levels of freedoom 1. much improvement. I like the shotgun sound mostely. I'll check it more out tomarrow.

Freedoom 0.11.3 has been released, but this version has nothing new that isn't in 0.11.2. For details, see this: https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/releases/tag/v0.11.3