Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Man of Doom

DOOM Update 6.66 (Multiplayer Only)

https://bethesda.net/en/article/3lw31bjKOsagegSyIYWIEg/the-ultimate-doom-update-6-66-all-dlc-unlocked-free-weekends?utm_campaign=DOOM6.66&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter

In case you're wondering, this is not an update for the campaign or SnapMap. 

So if you're excited for the multiplayer, though:

-All DLC has been unlocked and made available to those who didn't buy the DLC or Season Pass

-Visual overhauls to the lobby, the menu, and the HUD

-All ranks have been reset to 0, and you either have the option to reset your gear as well, or keep it

-Those previously at maximum ranking will have a special badge assigned

-Challenges and unlocks have been completely overhauled, meaning you now have to complete specific challenges to unlock gear, demons, weapons, camos, etc. 

-Hack Modules have now been replaced with Runes, these are meant to act like the Runes from the Campaign

I'm pretty sure they're saving a bigger announcement for later, maybe QuakeCon. After all, it IS called update 6.66. 

Thoughts?

Ah, interesting. A lot of folks had guessed that the DLC would either be made free after they were removed from the store, or return as a GOTY edition+paid upgrade. It's good they chose the former option, as it seemed like the wiser move from a PR standpoint.

The rune system sounds... interesting. I'm curious exactly what the effects they provide are (hoping increased air control is one of them). At a glance, they'll probably be a lot more interesting in terms of use than the hack modules ever were. To be honest I completely forgot they were even in the game, I just put them onto auto-use and never looked back.

Now there actually are a few minor updates to Snapmap in this, like being able to remove the network limitation on single player only maps, and numerous visual/collision/network/crash bugfixes.

Don't give a #$@! about it, I bought Season Pass from release and I got everything from months ago. No problem at all.

I really don't play MP mode much, so this won't affect me a whole lot. Still, it's cool that they're doing this. Might sit down with MP mode sometime this weekend and check out the DLC that I previously couldn't afford.

Lots of people complaining about the now even more bloated size of the game.

It's only going to go up, folks. Soon enough, 100GB will be the new "eh, that's not that big!"

3 minutes ago, CARRiON said:

That and hard drive space will continue to get cheaper.

Exactly. 1 TB HDDs are abundant and cheap these days, and that trend will only continue.  And when you throw in things like SSDs and cloud storage, it becomes even less of a concern.  

Dang, that's pretty sweet.  I mean, I got nothing against Doom's multiplayer, but it's more of a fun add-on feature to a primarily single-player game.  While it's a fun diversion, I just couldn't believe that they had the audacity to try to sell multiplayer-only DLC for a game whose focus isn't really multiplayer.

6 minutes ago, geekmarine said:

While it's a fun diversion, I just couldn't believe that they had the audacity to try to sell multiplayer-only DLC for a game whose focus isn't really multiplayer.

The names would've made for cool SP DLC. Hell Followed and Unto the Evil especially. Oh well.

2 hours ago, CARRiON said:

Count me in.

No matter how you slice it, the size of this update is fucking absurd.  Nearly 35 gigs on PC, and 60 (!) gigs on XB1.

This really makes me wish the MP was somehow stand-alone, that way we could opt out of it completely.  Just think of how many gigs of space we'd save by doing that.

Edited by chubz

37 minutes ago, chubz said:

Count me in.

No matter how you slice it, the size of this update is fucking absurd.  Nearly 35 gigs on PC, and 60 (!) gigs on XB1.

This really makes me wish the MP was somehow stand-alone, that way we could opt out of it completely.  Just think of how many gigs of space we'd save by doing that.

Well, didn't Gears of War 4 have a 248GB patch or something like that? Nothing can beat that! :D

My copy of DOOM finished updating, and it actually went from 82GB to 71GB, so they must have compressed some things.

Good reason to throw the disc back in my PS4 I guess. I'm not at all salty about having bought the season pass, as this is one of those games and companies I don't mind throwing money at (I did buy two copies of the CE ((one PC and one PS4)) and a standard edition at full price ((because in order to play with my ex-wife, we both had to have a copy plus our own PS4 plus our own PS+ subscription...man, console gaming is the worst these days but meh))). Anyway, interested to see the changes to the MP but otherwise I'll probably stick with Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 for MP, and that's actually pretty cool they're giving the DLC away for free; may encourage more people to get on and breath life into what I honestly can say was my second favorite MP from last year, until they started changing the beta with the weekly weapon balancing that kept throwing things out of whack. I miss the alpha, when scrubs didn't know how to play and I constantly topped the leaderboards. That changed quickly upon release.

EDIT: I'm central time US and I don't have to work in the morning, so if anybody wants to smash through some MP on PS4 I'd be glad to squad up. I honestly don't like playing MP solo, I'm not in it for the glory, I'm in it for the thrill. Plus, I lose less working with people, heh. PSN ID Johnny_Nebulous (need to request a name change here.)

Edited by Johnatone

Fucking finally, even tho it's just a multiplayer update at least they haven't forgotten about this game hopefully they announce new stuff on Quakecon

DOOM's FB page also announced in their latest post (about 5 hours ago) that the update includes more Snapmap content.

'Play and create even more #DOOM content. Update 6.66 brings fixes and improvements to SnapMap, available now!'

Excellent. More content to grind my modding teeth on.

14 hours ago, Doom64hunter said:

This is actually pretty huge, and an extremely positive step to improve the longevity of the multiplayer.

Really? Because to me, it sounds more like a desperate attempt to revive the multiplayer. Then again, I'm only speculating here, and I'm not claiming to be right in my assumption, but I'd imagine it only has an audience of a select few dedicated people playing it at this point.

Doom 2016 Multiplayer is basically dead in Australia. But a free weekend with this stunt and coverage could get me a few games this weekend.

I do hope they are just trying to put Doom back in the Radar for something bigger.

EDIT: Since my post devolved into complaining about the multiplayer... The rune change was nice, letting me keep my unlocks was cool, I appreciate they released the DLC for free so I have another selling point to the few people I know haven't played the game yet, I'm glad id is still supporting the game, and I feel beyond SnapMap this may be the last major update to the game as the company is probably working on something new; here's hoping for an SP DLC announcement anyway, or a sequel (or, long shot, RAGE 2. Pmsl, I'll never get that pipe dream. Sad face.)

So runes are basically hack modules without timers. Honestly prefer this change; the only ones I ever used were the ones that gave me XP boosts as I felt everything else was kind of cheap, but now that there's a permanent consistency it feels more in tune with the loadout system. I'll have to play around with them more. Played about an hour an a half last night, but other than cleaning up trophies I quickly lost interest again. Weapons have been balanced to hell, I generally suck to begin with (only game I got worse and worse at the more I played - see constant weapon balancing), it feels like some of these guys are using the XIM - which, TBH, I wish Sony would fucking ban in a software update (if I want to get my ass handed to me by mouse/WSAD I'll go back to PC multiplayer. My Battlefield 1 platoon keeps running into these XIM assholes in our clan matches and it's beyond infuriating), there were literally ZERO people on the FFA and Deathmatch playlists on PS4, and I really don't like the lack of controller customization (I have to use the PS4's accessibility option to remap controls. Why the hell developers can't let me customize my buttons as I see fit is beyond me; both "bumper jumper" variants are inadequate, leaving the L3 button completely unused and still forcing you to take your thumbs off the sticks, which defeats the whole damn purpose.) For the most part though, I'm going to chalk it up to "I suck and need to get good." I really do, my playing was abysmal (though I was fighting getting used to those damn controls again; nothing felt right at all.)

12 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

DOOM's FB page also announced in their latest post (about 5 hours ago) that the update includes more Snapmap content.

'Play and create even more #DOOM content. Update 6.66 brings fixes and improvements to SnapMap, available now!'

Excellent. More content to grind my modding teeth on.

Nope, nothing new in SnapMap besides bug fixes and a couple new features (ability to rotate objects separately on X, Y, and Z axis and ability to mark maps as SP-only, which completely removes all Network limits).

Yo if I decide to go with option A: decide to keep my current rank, unlocked items, and purchased items, will I be able to reset it later in the options menu?

1 minute ago, MrInternational said:

Yo if I decide to go with option A: decide to keep my current rank, unlocked items, and purchased items, will I be able to reset it later in the options menu?

Yes, it's under Profile > Reset Profile.

20+ years of Doom 2, and I'd prefer that game over Doom 2016.

I think Doom 2016 single player was awesome... I'm in the process of (slowly) getting 100% on it.

2 hours ago, chubz said:

Nope, nothing new in SnapMap besides bug fixes and a couple new features (ability to rotate objects separately on X, Y, and Z axis and ability to mark maps as SP-only, which completely removes all Network limits).

Those are both pretty damn beneficial. Especially the second one.

Okay. Now I'm kind of annoyed, because whatever updates they made to Snapmap also caused some weird positional offset to certain items in custom maps, namely armor, health pickups, and weapons. When I play the map I just released for instance, all the affected pickups (which I had flagged so they would rest on the floor instead of bobbing and rotating) are 16-32 units directly above where they appear to be in the editor, so now they have this stupid-looking look of being frozen in midair.

Oh, and the update seems to somehow have disabled the pickup from one of the upgrade drones I placed in the map, which will make it a hell of a lot harder to complete. Fucking great.