Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaws In Space

Doom 2 maps without revenants?

Hi everybody I'm looking for maps from Doom 2 wads that don't feature any Revenants, give me as many examples as you can think of, thanks.

This sounds like something that should be answered by a simple program that goes through your wad folder. We even already have programs like WADWHAT.

if you just skip map no. 20, 1 monster is a whole megawad without Revenants

1 hour ago, Jaws In Space said:

Hi everybody I'm looking for maps from Doom 2 wads that don't feature any Revenants, give me as many examples as you can think of, thanks.

Why don't you want revenants?

11 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Hmm....Doom 64? anyone...?

Part of why I like Doom 64 ^_^

My maps in Shadows of The Nightmare Realm generally used no Revenants since I don't generally like them that well aesthetically.  There's a few in map 03, and there might be a small handfull in map 02 and map 04, but they are far and few between.  Map 01 has none that I remember.

1 minute ago, YukiRaven said:

Map 01 has none that I remember.

I remember archies, PE's and other enemies but no one was agitated in that map.

3 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

My maps in Shadows of The Nightmare Realm generally used no Revenants since I don't generally like them that well aesthetically.  There's a few in map 03, and there might be a small handfull in map 02 and map 04, but they are far and few between.  Map 01 has none that I remember.

I think map 3 had less than 10 revenants overall, probably even less than 5, but I'm not so sure about this at the moment. The only ones I remember at the moment are two near a switch, and another pair in the outside area...

Unless something changed late into the design process, map 02 should have no revenants at all, and I don't remember there being any revenants in map01 at any point in time. So basically your set is almost revenant free. ;-)

Just now, YukiRaven said:

I figured that was the case.  It's not that I dislike how they behave, but I just can't stand the way they look or sound XD

For me it's mostly the sound that gets hard on the ears after extended periods of time. I can take that stuff for a few minutes, but if you have them constantly yelling around at almost full volume because they're nearby it's annoying at some point... One more reason to kill things quickly, though...

map17 from Plutonia is completely devoid of any Revenants.

BTSX E1M15 lacks them if playing on UV and Single Player.

Well, Doom 1 and the megawads designed for that game such as NEIS don't have the revs too...

All maps of MAYhem 2013 (barring MAP10) don't have revenants. Likewise, my MAYhem 1500 map (MAP04) was specifically designed to exclude revenants, and my DMP2016 map (MAP09) is a nasty 1v1 cyberdemon duel. The first five maps of NOVA don't utilize any revenants, MAP02 & 04 of NOVA II don't have any revs, and I suspect there's a whole trove of early mapslots that don't have the bony bastards (MM, TNT, etc.) It's hard to think of later maps (20-30) that specifically exclude only revs and aren't a "boss fight" of some kind, but likewise you aren't going to find a lack of imps, sergeants, and cacos in them either.

So... like Doom 1 maps with a super shotgun added?

7 hours ago, Jaws In Space said:

I'm looking for maps from Doom 2 wads that don't feature any Revenants,

Would you be satisfied by a gameplay mod that (merely) replaces revenants with other (stock) monsters on any map, or that nerfs the revenant missile's threat? You didn't say why you're looking for those maps, so I'm asking just in case the answer would be yes (which it probably won't be, but still).

How about a map with only Chaingunners, Revenants, Pain Elementals and Arch Viles :D

5 hours ago, pcorf said:

How about a map with only Chaingunners, Revenants, Pain Elementals and Arch Viles :D

Sounds like a pretty cool idea actually. Could be fairly cool if done right >:)

On 7/22/2017 at 8:15 AM, pcorf said:

I think that thread is more suited for that request. ;)

Some interesting non-Revenant map suggestions so far; I played STRAIN and didn't realise it had no Revs in it.

^ That's because it replaces the Revenant's homing fireball with... An identical looking, identical sounding, and also homing fireball, fired by a custom monster. The new fireball just moves notably slower than the original one.

Why not write up a small mutator that replaces the Revenant on any normal map with a dummy actor? Boom, no Revenants.

Italo Doom Map07 is an obvious choice here.

Toilet Of The Gods Map04 is another obvious choice.

Edited by Killer5