Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Creating the Perfect Game

What kind of elements create the perfect gaming experience?  Discuss it here.

For me, a game needs to have multiple methods of execution.  I enjoy being able to choose between slaughtering everything in sight or killing absolutely nothing.  So a game needs to give me power over my domain.  I also think that a great atmospheric soundtrack is essential for perfection.  Finally, replay value.  I don't want to buy a game just to play it once and then shelf it forever.  I want something that years down the road I can say, "Man, I haven't played that one in a while." and then have a blast doing it all over again.

I don't really know but my first thought was that it has to maintain a perfect balance between struggle and reward. I want to have an occasional frustrating part that I can overcome and then feel happy about it, otherwise things get stale after a while.

Whatever the game may be, it has to be reward me with intravenous fentanyl whenever I complete a sidequest. Now THAT is what you call an attribute contributing to replayability. Also the game needs to have an enemy I can kill comfortably and consistently with a single shotgun shell. Like an imp or zombieman.

It's simply impossible. There are so many games that I love for completely different reasons. I feel like sticking everything I love into one game would feel like a frankenstein of a game, and wouldn't work as well as those things isolated. For instance, I love Rainbow Six Siege, and I like Doom just as much but there are too many clashing game design decisions for the things I like about both to fit together. This becomes an even bigger issue if I consider other genres, elements of XCOM wouldn't fit very well with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. Because of this divide, a game can only perfectly execute it's genre, and even then another game can perfectly execute the same genre in a completely different way. This all comes down to personal taste, I suppose, and I can't make up my mind. I like most genres and I don't have much of a criteria for a game being "perfect" other than it being fun or a great experience.

For me, just a modernized classic Doom game would be just fine :)

1 hour ago, Tracer said:

While I will acknowledge that not all Black Lives Matter activists are criminals,

Yes

A perfect game would really depend on the individual and where they're at in life.  For me, at this time in my life, Quake is just damn near perfect.  Ask me 10 years ago and I'd have said it was Doom.  Ask me 20 years ago and I'd.. well I'd say it was Doom then, too.

Speaking more universally, Tetris, Robotron, and Asteroids all get pretty close IMO.  They feel like the distilled essences of gameplay.  But "perfect" doesn't have to be the same as "favorite", either.

You'd need a time machine to make Doom. Much the same reason why John Carmack keeps pushing the limits of technology because he will discover time travel to go back in time to give himself the source code for DOOM. (completely ignoring those other games.)

The perfect game would be the one that absolutely no one in the world can complain, like graphics or gameplay or gimmicks or the characters or anything.

But it only depends of each person to decide which game is "perfect".

Perfection is subject to the eye of the beholder. For me personally, it will be pretty much impossible to beat DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu, Mushihimesama, or Crimzon clover : World Ignition in terms of how close these are to being the perfect shmup in some way shape or form.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a perfect game. If it had existed everyone who's played it will play only it because it is "Perfect" and by definition all other games will be objectively worse than it in every way. Since different genres exist, this is pretty much impossible. Even if you think about a perfect game for a specific genre, even then it's impossible because People like different things in the end.

Now, if you think of a game that has no flaws whatsoever as he perfect game, it still won't be perfect because being flawless doesn't necessarily mean fun. It may become boring. And if you're not having fun playing a game, what's even the point?

Now if we're talking about a person specific perfect game, that's a different story. Then everyone has their own opinions. I guess it would just boil down to their favorite game.

Well, I mean, I enjoy a wide variety of genres. Real time and turn based strategy games, first person and third person shooters, open world, stealth, survival horror, arcade shoot 'em ups, fighters, beat 'em ups and hack 'n' slash, puzzle games, role playing games, dungeon crawlers, point and click adventure games...

It completely depends on the genre. One thing they all universally need for me to remember them for years to come though, is polish, and a sense that a lot of passion went into the project. I also don't ever want to think about playing a game again, but then have the thought "oh, but then I'll have to deal with [x] again...", if your game has a bullshit segment, or multiple bullshit segments sprinkled about, or something about the mechanics feels really off and it's killing me or making progress difficult, I'll probably shelf it after one or two playthroughs.

1. Atmosphere: the game should have a world where the player is totally immersed. The story, the gameplay, the design. It all has to create an impact on the player.

I hear Marathon has very interesting story, and people still go gaga over just.

2. Simplicity: the game should not become some full blown simulator, unless that's the objective. Players should only have to deal with a select few necessary options rather than dozens of them.

In Doom, you have a 9 weapons, each with purpose (except the pistol, I suppose) and the enemies each with different tactics. "You shoot at it until it dies" is the basic objective, the player chooses how to execute it. If a game has lots of weapons, and most are variations, then what's the point?. I use less than 5% of the weapons when playing them. If you're going to add 58 enemies, make them unique without being OP or annoying. Respect the balance of gameplay.

3: Extensibility: the game should have some form of modding capabilities available, be it small or big (I prefer big-ish), and easy enough for players that aren't tech savvy.

Isn't that why games like Doom and Quake still live, even after 2 decades?

Is there a version of Tetris with no speed up? I still like to play it sometimes just to relax, but then stuff starts falling fast and I get the opposite effect.

I will have to agree with Tracer and Voros on the perfect game for me.

In a game that I enjoy, having great atmosphere, the ideal soundtrack that goes with that atmosphere and exceptional gameplay (either enjoyable simplistic gameplay or many ways of completing the given task) are essential.

It is not random that my favourite games are Doom, Deus Ex and Daggerfall.

Doom qualifies for its nice simple gameplay and overall immersion I get from it, Deus Ex has an excellent story combined with cool music and many ways of approaching your target each time and with Daggerfall I get immersed in its huge medieval world with many creepy dungeons and some great tracks playing during my adventures.

It already exists to me. And its name is Ori and the Blind Forest.

Doom Deathmatch has been around since 1993, just had a few rounds like 5 minutes ago, can confirm it's still perfect

The perfect games were made by Team Silent circa 1999-2003 with the best video game OST of all time courtesy of Akira Yamaoka.

So yeah I'm picky nowadays. Another perfect game to me was the first Deus Ex. Great atmosphere, music, and high replay value. I guess ultimately what I'm looking for is high replay value. I wanna have fun, don't hurt me plenty because I'm somewhat of a casual. I go to games to escape, and it's nice to be able to revisit a single game every now and then over the course of 10+ years (like Max Payne 2).

For me, a perfect game needs to:

-Provide the right type and amount of challenge.

-Not force me to spend time on its unfun parts in order to get to its fun parts.

-Support custom modifications complex-enough that they could never run out of fresh interesting ideas.

Of all games I've ever played, Doom comes the closest to this.

17 hours ago, dmg_64 said:

No one is perfect, so no one can create something perfect :)

Tony Iommi.

On 7/20/2017 at 9:12 PM, Tracer said:

What kind of elements create the perfect gaming experience?  Discuss it here.

For me, a game needs to have multiple methods of execution.  I enjoy being able to choose between slaughtering everything in sight or killing absolutely nothing.  So a game needs to give me power over my domain.  I also think that a great atmospheric soundtrack is essential for perfection.  Finally, replay value.  I don't want to buy a game just to play it once and then shelf it forever.  I want something that years down the road I can say, "Man, I haven't played that one in a while." and then have a blast doing it all over again.

Metal Gear Solid is one of my top fav series, and it's big on this, especially from MGS3 onward. You can be stealthy, you can be a bit messy and kill everybody, lots of options.

That said, a perfect game for me doesn't need to allow that, if it does what it sets out to do and it appeals to me, I'm a fan. I don't know if I can stealth through Doom 2016 (I know there are pacifist speed runs for some action games - this one locks you in arenas though), but I love that one too.

A perfect game for me, generally would have gameplay that is a lot of fun and engaging, engrossing environment and clever level design, characters I like, maybe some good writing and dialogue if we're going crazy, but keeping it fast-paced, I dunno, mixing things up, defying expectations, stuff like that.

We already have the perfect game, Doom. The never-ending quest is to find the perfect maps for it.

In order of importance (everything is important though):

1. fun gameplay first and foremost. Nobody cares about the story, graphics, secrets, music if the gameplay is awful

2. easy to mod so the community stays alive and also multiplayer option, replayability... I guess make sure it's still alive after launch ?

3. simple, like ace of spades classic; 2 teams, 3 guns, that's it

4. Rewarding, something like par times in doom. Coins, secrets, statistics ( I like to replay L4D2 maps just to do high percent shooting accuracy runs )

5. good atmosphere, mafia 1 had a very good atmosphere and made me download the whole soundtrack, really nice

6. good characters but without too much dialogue

7. option to kill anybody you want, crucial npc's, the guy who gives you quests, guards, hostages whatever, if the hostages can't die I won't feel rewarded for saving them. In half life 1 I liked just getting guards to go with me and making sure they don't die. I wouldn't do that If they couldn't be killed because that would be just boring

8. If you're making a story based game give the player a free roam option or something like that

9. NO EARLY ACCES 

10. NO DLC's

well of course im no expert, I played very very few "perfect" games so it's all my opinion. Also it depends on what type of game it is so I guess only points 1-5 are universal

One word: performance.

I can't stand laggy, stuttery, glitchy games. I'd rather play Doom flawlessly at 60 FPS with no lag than play a brand new AAA title that ends up being a lag and glitch fest. I don't care if that new game is Fallout 5, I'd take Doom because it actually runs.