Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Pour one out for MS Paint

That's kind of sad. Even though it wasn't capable of much, it was great for doing quick doodles.

Finally. Now they won't waste time on a tool most artists replace the moment they install windows. 

Edit : what the hell with killing reader though lol. 

Looks like SLADE got (very) basic pixel editing tools just in time! :p

23 hours ago, Vorpal said:

heh do you know what a scanner is?

I thought you meant extracting images from a pdf or doc oh well :P.

17 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

I still use it if I want to rapidly scan a document and save a jpeg

Friendly heads-up: you shouldn't really ever use JPEG for anything apart from photos.

At the same time OS X still bizarrely lacks a mid range paint tool. I guess everyone uses photoshop.

MSPaint will always be remembered, from joke pics to quick doodles born of boredom it was a nice and easy tool to use to mess around with.

R.I.P

9 minutes ago, Jon said:

At the same time OS X still bizarrely lacks a mid range paint tool. I guess everyone uses photoshop.

Preview.app has a bunch of MSPaint-style basic editing features built into it. You can do a surprising amount with it.

Too bad. I find other tools way too complex, and Paint has been filling the very low end area. I use it to paste and save pictures made with the "print screen" key.

Weren't Microsoft showing off a 3D version of Paint for Windows 10? What happened to it?

2 hours ago, fraggle said:

Preview.app has a bunch of MSPaint-style basic editing features built into it. You can do a surprising amount with it.

Even better, for macOS there's an open source app called Paintbrush (same name as the Windows 3.1 version of Paint). Preview seems to be more of a general purpose viewer, annotator and picture clipper. Doesn't look like it has much creative power. 

Hopefully something open source will become popular for Windows to replace Paint, so we're not stuck with Paint.NET for very basic stuff.

Fortunately, the ribbon interface was unpopular enough that you can find plenty of results for "vista paint.exe download".

What a creative update. 

With previous Windows versions there usually has been no troubles of copying the Windows basic tools (paint, notepad, wordpad, calc, clipbrd, winmine) from an earlier version to the newer one. (...)

This is ridiculous, they kill off a good app but keep trying to bring back Internet Explorer/Edge/Whatever when people only use it to download Chrome.

People (even myself) have been able to create some pretty cool art in mspaint. I don't know what Microsoft is thinking, I'm actually getting tired of them but no way am I switching to Mac and I ain't got time to mess with Linux. Guess I'll stop using computers altogether :P

I hardly use MS Paint now as I use Paint.net more often, but this is still some sad news. I remember in the good old days when I used MS Paint to make simple drawings as well as to mess with pictures. They removed Windows Essentials (which included Windows Movie Maker), and now this.

There has got to be a GNU Licensed program that is similar to mspaint.(?)

...and I mean something a little less silly than Tux Paint.

Addendum: It looks like there's program called mtPaint.
 https://sourceforge.net/projects/mtpaint/

Spoiler

I haven't tried it, but it looks pretty similar in the video.

I have such fond memories of windows 98 mspaint. I wish I still had some of the sprites that I made way back when. None of them had angles, but some of them would have been fun to animate.

Edited by everennui