Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
playboi carti

coming back after a 3 year hiatus

so i haven't played doom in around 2 or 3 years, and the last thing i really used was GZDoom and i forgot all the wads that are really essential to having a great community experience. its a long shot but can anybody sort of tell me what i missed in these few years? the thing that got me back to doom was the new release (well, new as in most recent obviously). im really itching to get back with the game and all, but i have no clue where to start lol.

2 hours ago, DoomGater said:

Already done the official canon UltimteDoom-Doom2-FinalDoom and the Master Levels?

yes. i finished up the pwads this week.

8 hours ago, Doomkid said:

A few more fantastic wads from the last couple years:

9 hours ago, TacoTurtle said:

A few wads from the last few years that are definitely worth a play :)

9 hours ago, DoomGater said:

...on UV?

thanks guys, appreciate the help. and yes doomgater played on UV. but did uv-fast for doom 1, i played it so many times its easy for me lol.

7 hours ago, TacoTurtle said:

Let us know how you get on :) even if just a line for each wad, I'd be intrigued :)

will do actually! I just got home, and im downloading these wads as we speak

i apologize for double posting, but what source would be best to play modern wads? chocolate doom seems to have an error everytime i run these wads, and i am open to different source ports.

You can also try PrBoom+ for specific Boom wads like Valiant or Sunlust, it does a great job in my opinion and it's the most used for demo-recording. Boom/MBF pwads won't run under Chocolate Doom since this is vanilla-only compatible.  

8 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

You can also try PrBoom+ for specific Boom wads like Valiant or Sunlust, it does a great job in my opinion and it's the most used for demo-recording. Boom/MBF pwads won't run under Chocolate Doom since this is vanilla-only compatible.  

If using PrBoom+ for Boom or MBF wads, be sure to set the appropriate complevel, or it probably won't work correctly. The easiest way is via the in-game menu:

Options

General

(Second Screen)

Default Compatibility Level -> choose the one you want

Then exit, and the next time you start the program, it will behave like whatever you have chosen. Be sure to change it back before playing a vanilla wad.

so after a playthrough of about 10 levels each from ancient aliens, and jpcp. i'm really enjoying the progress of level design that has changed compared to a few years ago. when i last played doom wads, it seemed like authors were more focused on the aesthetics, and how pretty the maps look rather than monster placement (my biggest factor in determining if a mapset is good or not).

then we flash to 2017...

the maps that you guys have provided, (have yet to try the ones you listed fraggle lol apologizes i need to download all of those real quick) were not just really well paced, but shown great usage of traps, monster placement (with hitscanners AND projectile enemies! something i loved) but also focused on aesthetics secondary to the gameplay, something that really makes me happy to see. thank you everyone for reintroducing my interest in this community, you're all awesome

EDIT: did i forget to mention these wads were tough? haha, but yeah along with great gameplay they really humbled my skill quite a bit. I actually needed to play these on HMP because UV was kicking my ass pretty bad. i guess that's what you get for not playing in over 1000 days...

Edited by playboi carti : forgot to add something

48 minutes ago, playboi carti said:

did i forget to mention these wads were tough? haha, but yeah along with great gameplay they really humbled my skill quite a bit. I actually needed to play these on HMP because UV was kicking my ass pretty bad. i guess that's what you get for not playing in over 1000 days...

Welcome to the "Weimar-style hyperinflation" of Doom difficulty (to quote one of my favorite /idgames reviews) where "Instead of wheelbarrows of Reichsmarks, we are given legions of arch-viles." :). But yeah, there's a notable correlation between relative map detail level and general difficulty (one hypothesis being those learned and intent enough to spend such time in the editor have probably also spent considerable time in-game improving at doom). There also seems to be an increase in the proportion of maps geared towards a hardcore/speedrunning crowd (perhaps watching good players systematically demolish your map is a rewarding type of "payment" you can get for your mapping efforts? :D).

But yeah. difficulty settings! For sure.

4 hours ago, Ribbiks said:

There also seems to be an increase in the proportion of maps geared towards a hardcore/speedrunning crowd

i'm glad someone else notices this as well, i noticed how most maps (especially in valiant and aaliens) were fast pasted-somewhat linear levels forcing the player to push forward or get murdered by crowds. when i say crowds i don't necessarily refer to slaughter map tier groups, but just like 4 or 5 imps or shotgunners clustered in packs as an example. difficulty setting do indeed matter haha.

I like using Smooth Doom when running GZDoom with a pwad that doesn't have its own gameplay modifications.

Also, you should try the 3DGE source port with the Doom4Ever mod if you are feeling adventurous. You can find these in the ZDoom forum.

Edit: You can also play the Doom 64 Ex source port. Or as an alternative to that the Retribution mod for GZDoom.