Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloxxer23

What the heck happened to Doom Touch/D Touch??

3 hours ago, beloko said:

Doom Retro? Didnt expect that. But its looking pretty sweet there!

But did you manage to fix that bug in PrBoom+'s OpenGL renderer, where midtex(?) textures dont look right (Doom 2 map01, the chainsaw area)?

3 hours ago, Litrivin said:

Is that bug of the bundled Chocolate Doom fixed? I mean, screenblocks setting will not stick and will revert to the default value, even if the user edits directly the DEFAULT.CFG file to change it.

Actually the whole CFG reverts to the default values not just screenblocks. 

10 hours ago, Litrivin said:

Is that bug of the bundled Chocolate Doom fixed? I mean, screenblocks setting will not stick and will revert to the default value, even if the user edits directly the DEFAULT.CFG file to change it.

This will be fixed (if it's not already)

9 hours ago, DoodGuy said:

So is this gonna be a new app or just a big update?

New app on Google Play, and update to Amazon.

7 hours ago, Voros said:

Doom Retro? Didnt expect that. But its looking pretty sweet there!

But did you manage to fix that bug in PrBoom+'s OpenGL renderer, where midtex(?) textures dont look right (Doom 2 map01, the chainsaw area)?

Actually the whole CFG reverts to the default values not just screenblocks. 

The video shows PrBoom in software mode, I'm redoing the opengl mode so it should fix that issue.

Hey Beloko, mid game sometimes my screen spins randomly, is it because I have a curved screen or is it something else?

I was just visiting this topic to ask if you were interested in adding other source ports eventually! Any chance on Eternity or 3DGE by chance?

11 hours ago, DoodGuy said:

Hey Beloko, mid game sometimes my screen spins randomly, is it because I have a curved screen or is it something else?

Yes I have noticed this sometimes, what's happening is the left thumb sometimes registers as a touch on the right side of the screen, so your left thumb starts controlling the pan/yaw motion. When I looked into it last time it seems like a bug in the touch screen driver however the problem still occurs so could be something in my code. I will look again and find a fix or workaround.

Edited by beloko

Beloko, a question about Q3Touch, when I put the baseq3 folder, it asks to download some pk3 files that I already have. But when I click download it says it cannot connect to the servers.

What the hell is wrong with Google? They remove all sorts of things from the Play store that weren't harming anyone, seemingly at random.

Thanks Google, for taking my money and running with it! Bastards.

On this same note I'd like to mention that I cannot figure out how to download an updated version from the amazon store... (though I know the most recent version isn't complete yet, I'm fairly sure I have an out-of-date version). I'd like to wait to submit bug/crash reports until after my copy is up-to-date, though my current version has crashed in GlBoom+ on more than a few maps, including some TNT: Revilution ones, which are vanilla.

8 hours ago, Fonze said:

On this same note I'd like to mention that I cannot figure out how to download an updated version from the amazon store... (though I know the most recent version isn't complete yet, I'm fairly sure I have an out-of-date version). I'd like to wait to submit bug/crash reports until after my copy is up-to-date, though my current version has crashed in GlBoom+ on more than a few maps, including some TNT: Revilution ones, which are vanilla.

Yes honestly no point in issuing any bug reports for the version you have, it's very old. The new version is a huge overhaul of the code which may fix bugs (and introduce new ones :)

Edited by beloko

Anyone knows if this is still being developed?

Is it worth paying for it or it's an abandoned project? I can't for some reason buy with with the phone so I would need to buy it on the computer and then get the apk on the phone. He said he will get it back to the Play Store in the next update so I would be able to keep it updated without having to go throught the computer (again for some reason the Amazon app doesn't let me buy the app and tells me to buy it on the computer)

This port looks like the best Android port and has gamepad support, I may buy a gamepad so this is actually playable. You definitely need trigger buttons above to strafe in a game like this to enjoy it.

I may buy it because he said at least if you bought it on Amazon you will get a free update for the new version..

He is still developing it to my knowledge; it wasn't long ago that he made the update in the works known. You can buy it on Amazon's website on the phone; idk about the app... check their actual website. 

D-Touch is absolutely something every Doomer should buy; it is the only one with the things the community values at heart: multiple ports that are true to their name and the ability to play pWads. The control schemes are totally customizable and intuitive, though of course touch-pad isn't the best or a smart way to play Doom, except on maybe HNTR/ITYTD, heh. 

Literally the only 2 downsides to D-Touch are that it isn't in the playstore, so phone's don't "want" you to install it without a serious-sounding warning, and that it does unfortunately crash in some places (especially highly-detailed areas) in some wads in glboom+. But not a problem in prboom+, choco, or gzdoom. It also uses fairly recent-ish versions for each port, which are all supposed to be updated to newer versions in the next D-Touch version.

Tldr: buy it :)

6 minutes ago, Fonze said:

He is still developing it to my knowledge; it wasn't long ago that he made the update in the works known. You can buy it on Amazon's website on the phone; idk about the app... check their actual website. 

D-Touch is absolutely something every Doomer should buy; it is the only one with the things the community values at heart: multiple ports that are true to their name and the ability to play pWads. The control schemes are totally customizable and intuitive, though of course touch-pad isn't the best or a smart way to play Doom, except on maybe HNTR/ITYTD, heh. 

Literally the only 2 downsides to D-Touch are that it isn't in the playstore, so phone's don't "want" you to install it without a serious-sounding warning, and that it does unfortunately crash in some places (especially highly-detailed areas) in some wads in glboom+. But not a problem in prboom+, choco, or gzdoom. It also uses fairly recent-ish versions for each port, which are all supposed to be updated to newer versions in the next D-Touch version.

Tldr: buy it :)

Right, I will buy it tomorrow. Do you recommend any gamepads for s7? there's this "Gamevice" one that looks good because it's PSP style with the controls on the sides of the screen but it appears to be unreleased:

It's a bit scary tho... the phone may bend if you get too excited.

Ah yeah I wouldn't want a gamepad that didn't keep the phone secure and safe. Unfortunately I have never actually used a gamelan with D-Touch on account of previous phones being incompatible with most pads. I now have an s8 though and need to look into pads again, if you find a good one let me know :)

I use one original PS3 gamepad attached via USB, it just works flawlessly as long as the handheld device supports OTG (obvious cons: I cannot recharge the device and play simultaneously). I can assign every button except for the Start one. And both analog and digital direction controls do work.

Disclaimer: your mileage may vary.

Edited by Litrivin : Add the disclaimer, just in case.

3 hours ago, qweqioweuo123 said:

Looks like Nvdia shield are compatible but any pad should be compatible

Has anyone tried these Moga ones

That's cool I'm adding a multiplayer launcher so it will be easier to setup the MP game in future. Also big update for better gamepad support with option for long-press actions and allow the launch screen to be navigatable with a pad.

The app will be coming back to Google Play soon.

4 minutes ago, beloko said:

[...]

What about proper support for physical mice, if one attaches one physical mouse? While I know physical keyboards are supported, physical mice are not supported as a proper input device. As reference, certain ports of DosBox for Android do allow a proper WASD + mouse combination for Dooming, slow as hell though.

1 hour ago, Litrivin said:

What about proper support for physical mice, if one attaches one physical mouse? While I know physical keyboards are supported, physical mice are not supported as a proper input device. As reference, certain ports of DosBox for Android do allow a proper WASD + mouse combination for Dooming, slow as hell though.

Last I looked Android did not properly support mouse input - it would only give you absolute coordinates and would stop at the edge of the screen. Does DosBox actually hide the mouse and let you play as you would on a PC? If so I will check it out and see how it's done.

There is a way to access the device at a very low level, but his requires root to access the dev.

aFreeBox allows me a proper keyboard and mouse combo for Dooming for a, more or less, desktop-like experience, even if it does not hide the cursor. My tablet is not rooted, by the way. And the source port I run on that x86 emulator is Boom 2.02.

5 hours ago, beloko said:

That's cool I'm adding a multiplayer launcher so it will be easier to setup the MP game in future. Also big update for better gamepad support with option for long-press actions and allow the launch screen to be navigatable with a pad.

The app will be coming back to Google Play soon.

Nice. But in the case I buy it now in the Amazon app store, I will still get lifetime updates that happen on Google store from now on? will the updates be listed in Amazon too?

Also since for some reason I can't buy apps and games from the Amazon app in the phone and I need to download it in the computer then send the apk into the phone and install it, will I still get prompted for updates?

1 hour ago, qweqioweuo123 said:

Also since for some reason I can't buy apps and games from the Amazon app in the phone and I need to download it in the computer then send the apk into the phone and install it,

Again, dont use the app, use the website.

SvXefw3.png

https://www.amazon.com/Beloko-Games-D-Touch-Port-Doom/dp/B00ZV118YK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500338834&sr=8-1&keywords=d-touch

However, it would be nice to know about how updates between stores will be handled; I cannot update my D-Touch through Amazon, as previously reported, and its a major shame that releasing the apk's for free, even if just to help a paying customer update their stuff, costs additional customers.

I think im going to wait for him to finish the work and upload into the Google Store. I hope it doesn't take forever for him to finish because I want to play Doom on my new phone asap. I also hope that the APP doesn't get taken off from Google Store again. Why did it get taken off last time?

Why did it get taken off last time?

Google got paranoid over the app icons of JK3 and Chocolate Strife IIRC.

4 hours ago, Voros said:

Google got paranoid over the app icons of JK3 and Chocolate Strife IIRC.

That's insane. What's JK3 anyway?

Just get some generic Icons, don't risk all of your hard work on that next time. Let's see how they react.

17 hours ago, Litrivin said:

aFreeBox allows me a proper keyboard and mouse combo for Dooming for a, more or less, desktop-like experience, even if it does not hide the cursor. My tablet is not rooted, by the way. And the source port I run on that x86 emulator is Boom 2.02.

There is a new unofficial version of MBF for DOS, you could try that, maybe it runs faster. It is on the Vogons forum.

Anyway yeah, Android has shit mouse support. Maybe on purpose.

I just tried D-GLES on my S7 and it's a disaster. The touch controls are so bad. I hope Beloko's Port touch controls are any better I doubt it's possible to enjoy doom with touch controls, im going to need a gamepad. I wish someone made something like the Bladepad or the Razer Junglecat but for Android phones.

D-Touch touch controls are as good as they can be. Nothing beats a keyboard+mouse or a controller of course.

Yup, they are fine for a quick go while waiting for the bus or something. I use one of the Ipega pads, it's fine but the bluetooth connection adds some lag and connecting is a slight hassle. Gotta check how the USB OTG connection will work.

On 7/28/2017 at 5:54 AM, beloko said:

Last I looked Android did not properly support mouse input - it would only give you absolute coordinates and would stop at the edge of the screen. Does DosBox actually hide the mouse and let you play as you would on a PC? If so I will check it out and see how it's done.

There is a way to access the device at a very low level, but his requires root to access the dev.

There are Chromebooks nowadays that are able to run Android apps, so that could probably be a solution for testing mouse/keyboard.

I have an idea: Allow volume keys to be bindable, so you can bind the volume down to strafing left and volume up to strafing right (you may need to add being able to flip the screen so the volume keys are sitting on top so you can use your index finger to push them)

This way, you can strafe with your index right finger, shot with your right tumb, and turn with your left thumb. Ideally, you would want the strafing buttons to be separated, but a phone doesn't usually have another button in the same side as the volume buttons side on the other corner. If I were to design a phone I would put another button at the right distance so you would be able to use them as the L-R trigger upper buttons in gamepads:

psp-close-up-look-20040614001233819.jpg

We can't do this so we have to work with what we have, and we have 2 volume buttons that could be configured to do that. It may be a bit weird using the same finger to strafe left and right, but it's definitely better than nothing, because you can shoot at the same time as you strafe with the same hand, and turn with the other hand.

I hope this idea makes sense. I have tested it already with this Quake port that allows you to do just that:

http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/FTEDroid

With Doom, it's even better because you don't need to look up and down, so it's pretty playable with gamepads. I used to play Doom on PSX and it was good. I also had the Gameboy Advance one. The key to gameplay is the trigger buttons, without the strafing upper buttons, it's impossible to enjoy it.

This is how the layout would look like:

s7controls.png

I use a case for protection that makes a bit thicker so it as a better hold imo. Anyway that is the idea. It's far from ideal, but nothing is unless you buy a gamepad.

Edited by qweqioweuo123