Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spectre01

Preferred sector light mode in GLBoom+?

Which lighting mode do you folks like using in GLBoom+ for a good combination of atmosphere and visibility? The regular GLBoom lighting mode looks a little flat, while Fog Based and Shaders has that cool effect with light radiating around you, but at the expense of enemies and items becoming obscured some distance away. i.e. I wasn't able to see a Baron a few meters down the stairs in Scythe map30 and ran right into him. I'm currently using GZDoom as the sector light mode which has some form of lighting difference based on your position but what do y'all prefer? And don't answer with software mode in PRBoom+!

The default, it looks pretty good, but because I don't know how the other options differ from each others. Shaders is not available in my case, so what does Fog Based and GZDoom have that GlBoom doesn't? 

is it at all possible to have nice vanilla lighting in glboom+ because i would frickin love having really smooth gameplay without the meme lighting and stuff

I like using the GZDoom one. The standard lighting allows the player to easily see in sectors that should be pitch black.

I use 'shaders' at gamma 0, which seems to emulate software rendering very closely.

12 minutes ago, Urthar said:

I use 'shaders' at gamma 0, which seems to emulate software rendering very closely.

That's what I liked using, but one major difference in GL rendering makes it impractical. In software mode, you can still see grey-ish highlights on monsters in dark sectors, where as in GL mode they are completely black and obscured. It's not a huge deal breaker for casual play, but having a Chaingunner or Cyber catch you with your pants down out of the void is not fun.

Is there a way to adjust the distance and/or amount of darkening that the shaders mode does? As an example:

The rock walls at the back sides of the teleporter have a brightness of 112 and look fine here.

93CC297A3AA817BBC7E2180933B8644EFD7AF889

If I take some steps back, they nearly turn pitch-black.

04C0D2CB15395CF2547B641E6FFC2CDC8982E4C1

Not a huge deal for a large and bright outdoor map, but much more noticeable in indoor levels that already have lower light levels.