• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

6 minutes ago, dmg_64 said:

We had a thread like this before and it went to Post Hell

What happened there?

22 minutes ago, Britney_Is_King said:

What's post hell, btw

Sugarcoated answer: It was a read-only subforum that looked like this. Bad threads and derails were moved there, partly to make fun of them. An obnoxious track autoplayed on your browser whenever you went there. It was removed for reasons you can find in this thread

Actual answer: my post here explains it. 

Edited by rdwpa

4 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Sugarcoated answer: It was a subforum that looked like this. Bad threads and derails were moved there, partly to make fun of them. An obnoxious track autoplayed on your browser whenever you went there. It was removed for reasons you can find in this thread

Actual answer: my post here explains it. 

Thanks. So I can't exactly delete the forum on my phone, so I had to add another title with different content. And I think I remember post hell, when someone mentioned the music and orange background. 

Anyways, which post were you referring to? The Rant one or forum rules? Because I figured this was in the Misc. section, I thought it'd be ok to post this. 

(This) Forum Rules. Fixed the title for ya.

I've actually been wondering about the rules too. No FAQ as far as I can tell (at least not anymore) and beyond the stuff that's just plain commonsense, I was curious as to whether or not there are any weird, forum specific rules that places like this usually have.

Are there any more historical records of Post Hell?

Dayum I wanna make a wad about Terminator Marines digging around a cold dead husk of Post Hell.

There used to be a reasonably detailed FAQ, which included a short guide for new members with a few dos and don'ts - e.g., don't post an introduction thread - but I can't see the link any more, I guess since the software update.

Edit: See above!

The forum rules for Everything Else are (of late): don't start topics/posts covering religion or politics. And don't make personal insults on other members regarding their character, habits, lifestyle, or their own politics/religion.

A more serious answer... like the Doom game itself this forum has many secrets and secret areas. It took me 10+ years to discover one of them.

You only have to keep one thing in mind:

Don't be a dick.

And you're all set.

20 minutes ago, geo said:

A more serious answer... like the Doom game itself this forum has many secrets and secret areas. It took me 10+ years to discover one of them.

you didn't know about /blogs/ until 2015?

I didn't know about the Visplane Overflow forum or that secret Doomworld Forums forum until last year IIRC.

There's a heh forum? I was only aware of the heh thread (which I gladly partook in).

5 hours ago, Voros said:

I didn't know about the Visplane Overflow forum or that secret Doomworld Forums forum until last year IIRC.

what?

That's right. Two secret forums. Hell, I didn't even know there was a XWE forum too.

The "Doomworld Forums" forum has always been hidden because it's for forum staff only. The numerous other hidden forums were once normally accessible forums, then decomissioned usually because too few people were posting into them and/or because a broader-scope forum superseded them.

Edited by scifista42

On 7/29/2017 at 4:06 PM, Britney_Is_King said:

What's post hell, btw

It used to be that if you posted a thread that was egregiously stupid, or if there was a thread that devolved into an unsalvageable flamewar, it would be moved to a special forum called "Post Hell". Post Hell had a different (orange) theme, animated GIF flames at the bottom of the screen, and some horrible music would play (the music changed a couple of times over the years, but the last song can be found here). Sometimes parts of threads would be sent there, if an otherwise-good thread got derailed by a flamewar or some other kind of bullshit.

Post Hell was a clone of a similar forum found on the SomethingAwful forums that was called the "Comedy Gas Chamber" - in fact, the original version of Post Hell was green as a nod to it. In terms of its purpose, I guess one description is that it was kind of like a pillory - putting bad behavior on display as a form of public humiliation and deterrent to others to abide by the rules.

It was removed from public display a few months ago after Doomworld switched to new forum software - moderators can still see it, and "bad" threads are still sent there; it's just no longer publicly visible. So when a thread is sent to Post Hell now, the effect is kind of equivalent to it being deleted. I was surprised by the change at first but I've come to see it as a good thing. It brought too much attention and focus on pointless drama, and was kind of a relic of an earlier time (Doomworld has been around a long time).

The counterpart to Post Hell was a forum called "Losers", a kind of time-out pit where people would be sent as "punishment". While "losered", you could only post in the Losers forum. Sometimes it was a halfway-house where you weren't quite banned and could try to argue your case with the moderators. Losers underwent some reforms in the past few years to formalize how it was used, but with the new software it's now been phased out too.

On 7/30/2017 at 3:53 AM, scifista42 said:

The "Doomworld Forums" forum has always been hidden because it's for forum staff only. The numerous other hidden forums were once normally accessible forums, then decomissioned usually because too few people were posting into them and/or because a broader-scope forum superseded them.

There are many levels of hidden forums on Doomworld. There are even forums that moderators and admins can't see! This isn't a joke.

Just now, fraggle said:

There are even forums that moderators and admins can't see! This isn't a joke.

Then what's the point in having them?

4 minutes ago, fraggle said:

There are many levels of hidden forums on Doomworld. There are even forums that moderators and admins can't see! This isn't a joke.

So, mortals like me only scratches iceberg top. This raises a lot of questions for me, but I'm afraid I'll never get answers about it. So, I'll try to forget about dark deep forum side.