Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maisth

Best Format to edit?

Hi everyone im Maisth, GZDoom Format For UDMF has been the one that i have been utilizing for a long time, But main problem is most of the feature's are GZDoom Exclusive and won't work in other source ports, so my question is

Which format is better to work with considering Both Single Player and Multiplayer maps

If you're trying to target more than one source port, right now Boom format's pretty much your most-advanced choice. There's an effort to expand that feature set going on in the Source Ports subforum, though (in the Boom+ format/UMAPINFO threads).

zdoom doom in hexen is supported by zdoom, gzdoom, other ports nobody cares about, zandronum, zdaemon, odamex, and seemingly some bits of eternity while still giving you lots of play room without going back to fossil formats

You might note those are all just ZDoom derivatives (except Eternity, but I expect support is limited there), and the OP stated they were trying to expand beyond ZDoom.

...Well, beyond GZDoom, specifically, but I suspect they meant support for things like PrBoom+ and such; unless you were using fairly-new features or hardware-renderer-specific features, odds are your GZDoom map was already supported by many of those ZDoom derivatives.

It depends what you're looking for. I mapped for boom, and I found it a lot harder to get the effects I wanted due to the lower amount of linedef functions. Gzdoom in UDMF is the most advanced one out there. My maps would technically be boom compatible if I made it in that port, there are ways to do everything I do in boom format, but I find it easier in UDMF.

Vanilla = maximum compatibility, minimum features. UDMF = minimum compatibility, maximum features. Others = something in between in regards to both compatibility and features. It's a tradeoff. Neither one is objectively the best at everything. What you consider the best depends on your goal.

UDMF. You can do simple things that are impossible in Vanilla and somewhat convoluted things from Boom becomes as easy as a checkbox. UDMF is very user friendly and will allow for much more detailed sector work. If you're new to mapping I would recommend this as it's the easiest to modify as well. Adding textures, sprites  and other things is far easier. UDMF is a format that has been created to make mapping as easy as possible, and unless you're going nuts with sloped 3D Floors and a few other things, your map will work fine with ZDoom, GZDoom and Eternity. Maybe 3DGE supports it as well.

If you just want to make maps and you want the best investment for time UDMF is unquestionably the best format. 

Other formats are great and have their appeal, but you'll likely learn more as you map. I really like Boom, but some otherwise simple things take a bit more time and that adds up.

Check them all out, but as you learn UDMF will allow endless possibilities, or a map that could be confused for Vanilla.

Some people will, for whatever reason, lose their shit if you don't use advanced features, but even if you just use one key locked switch you'll have done something not intuitively possible in other ports. For example, in Boom you'd need to create a dummy sector with a scrolling floor and use an additional player start point (voodoo doll) to activate walker triggers. You can do a lot with these.

A lot of people prefer Boom because it is all but guaranteed to keep a Pure Vanilla feel, but ZDoom etc. will also retain classic feel (barring some slight physics changes) unless you go out of your way to change it. GZDoom etc. actually allows you to use Boom compatibility so you can get a very nice vanilla feel.

1 minute ago, Maisth said:

Its ZDoom on UDMF still viable?

Yes, it won't go away. I hope.