Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

Valiant + Sawdust demos [-complevel 11]

Thanks, the va10 can be like 6:xx; that one isn't too hard-worked. I also think my mouse movement looks kludgy, although part of that is my insistence on playing on a surface that can be very variable in friction (or was, I'm planning on not doing that anymore). I also don't think the appearance of mouse movement indicates much at all for player skill, but recording with effectively a different sens from session to session is not ideal, to say the least.

Edited by rdwpa

Found a few tricks to improve the current 3:53 MAP08 WR by Nevanos. Most of what you see here is impossible to replicate in actual Doom, improvements that should be are explained in the video description.

1 hour ago, tchkb said:

Found a few tricks to improve the current 3:53 MAP08 WR by Nevanos. Most of what you see here is impossible to replicate in actual Doom, improvements that should be are explained in the video description.

well played, but not necessarily valid, since your GZDoom config doesn't match the conditions under which the maps are being run when played in PrBoom+. Freelook/aim and infinite height disabled (in your case) would be the worst offenders to the aforementioned conditions, and then there's also things like autoaim that factors into this as well. If you can validate your run by pulling it off in Prboom+ 2.5.1.5 (or 2.5.1.4-k), using complevel 11, then you have a baseline from which your run can be put into a competitive perspective.

EDIT: Not saying Nevanos's run can't be improved on, but doing improvements under the same conditions would probably be a good way to do it.

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

I haven't played vanilla Doom in 8 years and my skill level without vertical mouselook is much lower than with. There's no point in me spending a few months relearning Doom followed by trying to recreate that run when there are a lot of players way better than me (pretty much everyone in this thread) that can get much better times than I ever could. Never implied I'm pretending to submit something, just posted footage of an improved strategy that should work unless Cacodemons climb up much slower in PrBoom than ZDoom.

I'll tackle MAP06 next, the current route for 11:32* looks suboptimal.

Edited by tchkb : *

8 minutes ago, tchkb said:

There's no point in me spending a few months relearning Doom followed by trying to recreate that run when there are a lot of players way better than me (pretty much everyone in this thread) that can get much better times than I ever could.

Not necessarily agree with this. It's nice to show your thoughts, so time doesn't always mean something. Yeah, probably people would think why submit a slower run than the existed record... but what's the point beating the current record with mouse look? It doesn't make sense to me either. 

1 hour ago, tchkb said:

I haven't played vanilla Doom in 8 years and my skill level without vertical mouselook is much lower than with. There's no point in me spending a few months relearning Doom followed by trying to recreate that run when there are a lot of players way better than me (pretty much everyone in this thread) that can get much better times than I ever could.

Based on the footage you kindly provided, I think you have some serious gameplay prowess. I would really like to encourage you to at least consider trying it.

Got this after two days of grinding. Still improvable, but 35fps is awful when it comes to precise turning and I'll never be able to match my ZDoom performance in vanilla, plus the RNG I got here was ridiculous to the point almost none of my errors cost any time.

Also my first Doom demo. Thanks for encouraging me to do this.

VAL08UVM-340.zip

1 hour ago, tchkb said:

Thanks for encouraging me to do this.

If you record in PrBoom+, you should be able to play with an uncapped framerate. Also congratulations on your first doom demo. If you had fun doing this, keep at it. :-)

6 hours ago, tchkb said:

Got this after two days of grinding. Still improvable, but 35fps is awful when it comes to precise turning and I'll never be able to match my ZDoom performance in vanilla, plus the RNG I got here was ridiculous to the point almost none of my errors cost any time.

It's not the FPS; it's that turning resolution is lowered when recording demos. Here's a Doomworld thread with some useful info.

5 hours ago, rdwpa said:

(about shorttics)

Oh, when I saw this, I know you're talking about shorttics, but somehow I didn't relate shorttics to this turning problems, so it's nice to correct something that I misunderstand. Yeah, I also notices this, and sometimes I need to use small movements instead of turning to shoot a far away switch with the pistol or something like that.

20 hours ago, tchkb said:

Also my first Doom demo. Thanks for encouraging me to do this.

VAL08UVM-340.zip

Nice work! My first demos were actually from Valiant as well

Map 06 UV-Max in 7:43, PrBoom+ v2.5.1.5

New route compared to an old 11:32 demo. Execution still leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm too busy IRL to grind it more.

va06-743.zip