Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BGE

Freedoom maps in regular Doom?

Is this possible? Would I have to simply take the map files from the Freedoom Phase 1/2 IWADS and put them in their own wad, then load it up with the Doom I/II IWAD since all the resources are essentially the same?

Some maps use textures that don't have counterparts in classic Doom, such as E1M1, these are mostly Aquatech textures, not sure if there's a list of which patches you'd need to copy over.

As far I know, only C1M3 and C4Mx (the original and untouched Double Impact is available on idgames, anyway) use exclusively textures defined by the classic IWADs, so that many textures will be missing if one loads these levels as one PWAD on top of the classic IWADs.

This workaround works for me, more or less...

Extract the maps themselves, TEXTUREx lump and PNAMES lump into a separated wad, fd1levels.wad extracted from freedoom1.wad and fd2levels.wad extracted from freedoom2.wad, for example.

Run your favourite source port so that the classic IWAD is the IWAD, and then load (the order does matter) as PWADs the Freedoom’s one, newly the classic IWAD and, finally, the extracted content.

For example, something like this:

prboom-plus -complevel 3 -iwad doom.wad -file freedoom1.wad doom.wad fd1levels.wad

prboom-plus -complevel 2 -iwad doom2.wad -file freedoom2.wad doom2.wad fd2levels.wad

Using Deutex, I'd run these commands:

deutex -levels -textures -flats -patches -xtract freedoom2.wad mapandgfx.txt

And then

deutex -make mapandgfx.txt fdmapsgfx.wad

Boom, Freedoom maps and textures in a single PWAD.

11 hours ago, Voros said:

Using Deutex, I'd run these commands:

deutex -levels -textures -flats -patches -xtract freedoom2.wad mapandgfx.txt

And then

deutex -make mapandgfx.txt fdmapsgfx.wad

Boom, Freedoom maps and textures in a single PWAD.

Is there a version of that for 64 bit computers?

Obviously I wasn't talking about 4.4.902 when a new and more flexible build is available :)

By regular Doom I understand playing these levels with Doom assets whenever is possible. The commands you are suggesting will create a PWAD which overrides any original texture, flat and patch with the Freedoom replacements. The method I have suggested should add every texture, flat and patch of Freedoom, and then restore the original textures, flats and patches, whenever is possible.

By the way, I would suggest Slade3 as WAD manager for doing simple tasks like this one.

This structure works OK for freedoom phase 1 maps with ultimate doom iwad and therefor all assets (music and levels from phase 1 campaign).

D:\Games\PrBoomUmapinfo\prboom-plus.exe -iwad D:\Games\PrBoomUmapinfo\DOOM.WAD -file FD1_0121.wad freedoom-phase-1-maps-2019.wad -complevel 3

It doesn't work with doom2 and phase 2 campaign. I get all sorts of errors, fucked up textures and so on. Tried with different resources above and load order.

R_TextureNumForName: MFADEMAP not found.

Just  use Beautiful Doom mod in GZDoom. It'll change many decorations and all the monsters over to Doom monsters  If you use the Vanilla gun set then its literally no different than Smooth Doom..

Now if You dont want that but want something then use DHTP or ALTDHTP

Edited by kalensar

Sorry but i do not know what you are talking about. I would like this to run in prboomplus-um like it does with phase 1, that's all.

Ok, nice, but did you even read what i said? I told you that phase 1 is ok with prboom on that load structure and assets, the problem is phase 2. You are giving me phase 1 snapshots. Now i tried to load freedoom phase 2 levels with latest beaut doom and gz 4.6 and the first map is something i never saw. The nomenclature clearly doesn't work properly with this mixing but that map really came from nothing. Does BD have it's own episode or what?

Actually I built my own texture mod so I could play with Doom assets in Freedoom. Its a mixture of different texture packs.

The one you really want is Neural Upscale 2x. It literally has all the textures and sprites.

The problem with Freedoom 2 map01 and Freedoom1 Map E1m1 is that they literally use custom textures that cannot be covered by Doom assets alone. Thats why you keep experiencing a headache. Every other map  is covered by Doom assets. 

thanks, kalensar, gzdoom loads the right map now. I guess these textures only work in gzdoom? I'll see when i make a playthrough of phase 1 with prboom+um how it responds, it loads right with settings i mentioned before. Maybe it'll crash later in i don't know. If it does i'll play phase 1 with gzdoom also.

One thing I've tried is using FreeDoom with BrutalDoom.  Because all of the sprites from the original game were given new animations, movements, and so on, it replaces the characters in FreeDoom.

Pretty cool workaround imo.

6 hours ago, st0jan said:

thanks, kalensar, gzdoom loads the right map now. I guess these textures only work in gzdoom? I'll see when i make a playthrough of phase 1 with prboom+um how it responds, it loads right with settings i mentioned before. Maybe it'll crash later in i don't know. If it does i'll play phase 1 with gzdoom also.

Yer welcome. I was working on a fast projcet to get some things fixed for PrBoom+ dealing with this issue, because it highly interests me, but I'm not a cool enough modder to get it working right. 

The Doom for Freedoom method works good, but I was thinking there was a simpler method, and so far I've been wrong. Its much easier to get these kinds of workarounds working in GZDoom without much effort due to all the resources out there like Neural Upscale and DHTP, but for PrBoom its a bit more tricky since the engine is less advanced for easy asset replacement.

On 7/31/2017 at 2:21 AM, dl_simc said:

Likely For Me About this for Freedoom could work for this original doom textures within this Personally