Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TootsyBowl

First megawad you ever played/beat

Not sure, but maybe BF_Thud!, with NJDoom2 (an early version - labelled 'h') probably second. Though neither are true megawads, as they don't really replace all 32 maps. I don't recall what was next - maybe H2H-Xmas.

Edited by Grazza

Chances are it was something before Scythe, but Scythe.

First megawad I beat was BTSX E1.

First megawad I ever played was Going Down, I think (like 2 maps and then I quit, because I hadn't played Doom 2 yet). I have to play more of it in the future.

My first was scythe 2 and the first i beat was scythe 2 XD (only the first 2-3 episodes were fun and the "warden warfare" ones were alright though i still preffer the first over 2)

FULL SCYTHE X WHEN?!!?

Maybe this should be in the confessional booth, but I've never legitimately beaten any megawads. I've gotten pretty far in Scythe, Scythe II, Ancient Aliens, Soul Crusher, Unloved and a few others, but I haven't beaten the whole things yet. :/

I think the first MegaWAD I beat was Memento Mori. I wasn't a part of the Doom community by then, so I kinda just went with the first thing I found. I don't regret it at all, though.

I want to say STRAIN, but that was years upon years ago.

4 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Memento Mori.

This might very well have been among the first megawads I played. However, prior to that I had made the colossal mistake of buying the DZone! and DZone2! CDs, which probably had some megawads. If I were to guess, I played them; but they were clearly unmemorable. Hence my early recollection regarding Memento Mori. 

5 minutes ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

Requiem

I was just thinking back and I think this one was my first too, not STRAIN.

Played = WolfenDoom : The 2nd Encounter

Beat = Alien Vendetta

5 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

first one I finished was Momento Mori 2.

Halfway through MM2, I lost my saved game through stupid file mismanagement, and pistol starting level 17 or 18 was not easy for my past, unskilled self. So now it's one of only 2 megaWADs that I started but didn't finish. I'll have to revisit it someday...

Played and beat each of these before moving on to the next, but if I recall correctly, these were my first three WADs:

1. 2002: A Doom Odyssey (I got back into Doom in 2002, so this was big then)
  2. Memento Mori II
  3. STRAIN (once I figured out how to get dehs to work)

1. I have vague 90s memories of BF_THUD! Mainly just awe at the idea that someone had replaced (almost) all the maps, since I pretty much thought of extra Doom levels as one-offs you downloaded from AOL's Doom WAD section.

2. Almost beat Scythe legitimately in college. But once I got to those last few levels I was like lol nope. Actually I assumed that they were bizarro jokes, b/c I didn't imagine anyone being able to complete them. Going Down is the first 32-map megawad I remember beating legitimately, though it probably wasn't the first. That one got me seriously interested in the Doom community and exploring mapping again, though, and remains my favorite Doom add-on of all time.

52 minutes ago, CzechMate29200 said:

1. Hell on Earth: Starter Pack (yep)

2. Scythe

i haven't legitimately beaten any of these yet

I was playing through the Hell on Earth Starter Pack with Project Brutality, and was having a blast.

Then Map 28 happened.

Then a Flesh Wizard happened.

I quit and never looked back.

The first megawad I beat on a full playthough without skipping levels would be Good Morning Phobos... I think.

My first exposure to wads was Youtube, DeimosComaBlack's Crap wads and videos of the famous Aliens TC specifically, from there I picked up Aliens TC but that is hardly a megawad so...

My second exposure to wads was DoomWadStation, I knew nothing of Doomworld's /idgames (yet I lurked here for a while) and only knew wads featured on DoomWadStation.

My first megawad was that notorious shitshow Nazi Auferstehung, DoomWadStation being my only exposure to wads meant that I had no idea what it was...

God damn it, it left me with quite the poor first impression, absolutely polar opposite to the second I played (Icarus), which restored my hope in megawads.

And yes, much to my dismay I actually beat Nazi Auferstehung.