Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaser

[v1.0.0] DamNums - the universal damage numbers mod

I was gonna complain about the shotgun blasts being one number instead of the volley but then I saw the option to switch for it. You really thought of everything!

(I take it for the BFG, the red number is for the projectile and the green is for the tracers?)

This is a good tool for helping hone one's technique. I suspect it would be very useful for deathmatch too. 

Thanks all! Glad folks are enjoying this silly thingo.

@Magnusblitz : The green colorization you're seeing is damagetype coloration. There's a bunch of pre-defined colors for damagetypes so games and mods that use things like "Fire" and "Ice" damage will toss up orange and blue numbers (the BFG spray is the only one that exists in Doom). The system's also easily extensible: mods can define their own damagetype->color mappings via LANGUAGE and have things Just WorkTM if DamNums is loaded alongside it. I should probably make some official documentation on this at some point.

Also, the "shotgun spray" option mainly exists because that was the only mode in the super-earliest version of the mod. After figuring out how to consolidate the numbers, I figured I'd leave it in as an option just in case someone was keen on seeing it, and lo and behold! Glad to hear it's still useful. :P

The mod is written in ZScript so it isn't compatible with legacy ZDoom, unfortunately. If your troubles with GZD are all GL-renderer-related, you can switch back to Software by dropping the console, typing "vid_renderer 0", and restarting -- though apologies if you know this and I'm being a preachy idiot. :P

Oh wow, this looks pretty cool.  I could use this for balance testing.  Thanks for creating this, Xaser!

3 hours ago, Xaser said:

The mod is written in ZScript so it isn't compatible with legacy ZDoom, unfortunately. If your troubles with GZD are all GL-renderer-related, you can switch back to Software by dropping the console, typing "vid_renderer 0", and restarting -- though apologies if you know this and I'm being a preachy idiot. :P

Isn't QZDoom just a continuation of the classic ZDoom?

4 hours ago, Xaser said:

Not sure about NT, but I found this helpful, as I have been holding onto using regular ZDoom because I don't like the GL look. Now how do I get the sound back to normal (old ZDoom) style? :)

17 hours ago, Xaser said:

what mod is that? i like those alien looking creatures.

oh and both thumbs up for your mod, xaser. really nice for 2-shotting cybs, punching stuff and whatever.

2 hours ago, Matt534Dog said:

Isn't QZDoom just a continuation of the classic ZDoom?

No. It's an experimental playground for developers. The continuation of classic ZDoom is, well, GZDoom. Yes it still has a software renderer.

cool, thanks.

reminds of silent hill with this chair room and the mouthless creatures btw.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

No. It's an experimental playground for developers. The continuation of classic ZDoom is, well, GZDoom. Yes it still has a software renderer.

Oooh, I didn't know that. Thanks for clearing that up.

this is really cool. i'd just want to mention that this mod doesn't seem to work with 2.4 as listed though, i get a bunch of decorate errors using that version and GZDoom refuses to start up. i don't know what version is the cut-off date needed to run this mod, but the latest stable release works fine.

Added this to autoload, but I'd like to mention that GZdoom (x64-3.2pre392) conks out when trying to use Delaweare, Rise of the Wool Ball, or Blade of Agony as the iwad with a gamedefaults.txt not found error. Loading these as pwads with doom2.wad works for the first two but not BoA (game seems to work fine, just no nums.) It does seems to just work with every other game in iwadinfo however.

Huh, interesting -- thanks for the report! I didn't think to include a "fallback" gamedefaults.txt in case the IWAD was unknown, so I'll sneak that into the next release.

There Will Be BugsTM. :P

Aside from that, super-glad folks are getting a kick out of this!