Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Impie

Ghoul School 3D (For Heretic)

I guess I forgot to post this on Doomworld.

DOWNLOAD

GHOUL SCHOOL 3D (FOR HERETIC/GZDOOM)

Playtest time for this 3D remake of an obscure NES game of the same name. It's a first-person action-puzzle-adventure-thing spanning four inter-connected maps. It tries to better capture the idea Scott Marshall was originally going for about ghouls living on campus and Spike having to deal with them. I think. I hope.

The school is overrun with undead the week before prom. Most of these undead are jerks, but a few seem helpful enough to give you hints rather than zombify you. Get to the bottom of the cause of the undead uprising and save your prom date (who may or may not even like you).

Shoot bad monsters. Talk to humans and good monsters. Solve puzzles and navigate spooky mazes. Try not to kill or piss off NPCs or they won't help you. Try not to let everyone at school become zombified or you'll be up to your ears in ghouls. Make dumb announcements on the school intercom. Doowutchalike.

Jumping and crouching are required.

For a walkthrough, check the wiki articles.

Edited by Impie

8 minutes ago, Xyzzy01 said:

Aww yes! Cant wait to get my hands on the Gamma Gun!

lol It's not in this version unfortunately. I'll probably add it and the Deweytron in the "full version" though, as the plasmagun and bfg equivalents. I for sure want to bring in the eye guys at some point.

Add dat towel weapon muh boi

Well i would like it if you could add death animations to the people that can transform into ghouls so that they die,fall to the ground,turn into a demon death sprite and gets revived "archvile style" (or maybe its just a bit to much to add onto some one map npcs)

17 minutes ago, Impie said:

lol It's not in this version unfortunately. I'll probably add it and the Deweytron in the "full version" though, as the plasmagun and bfg equivalents. I for sure want to bring in the eye guys at some point.

Haha, I remember this game. Wasn't there a corpse that killed you instantly if you touch it as well?

Guest Unregistered account

There are good monsters? See, that "Doom would be better if you could reason with the monsters" article was right after all!

1 minute ago, Kapanyo said:

There are good monsters? See, that "Doom would be better if you could reason with the monsters" article was right after all!

Yes but most are humans that turn into evil monsters if you kill them

3 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

Dayum, I never played the original game

Good,you shouldn't because its BAD

8 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

but boy DO I want to play this port. I can tell it is going to be a kickass game :D

Its really cool and it gets only better with updates :)

33 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

Dayum, I never played the original game, but boy DO I want to play this port. I can tell it is going to be a kickass game :D

Well there's about an hour's worth of playable material right now (if you know what you're doing: some people were playing it for days before they beat it). Just remember it's for Heretic, not Doom.

52 minutes ago, SOSU said:

Add dat towel weapon muh boi

Well i would like it if you could add death animations to the people that can transform into ghouls so that they die,fall to the ground,turn into a demon death sprite and gets revived "archvile style" (or maybe its just a bit to much to add onto some one map npcs)

It was just easier to have them snap into ghoul mode. The sprites I used for the humans don't have death or pain frames so it'd be a lot of custom sprite work that I didn't think was necessary.

24 minutes ago, MrSkeltal said:

I thought this would be a mod based off the hit movie.

Maybe Impie will add levels based on the movie later on XD

1 minute ago, Xyzzy01 said:

Or Monster University

If you want to get sued by pixar then yes.

Haha joke's on Pixar, Nickelodeon's just waiting to sue them for stealing the premise of Aaah Real Monsters.

1 minute ago, Impie said:

Haha joke's on Pixar, Nickelodeon's just waiting to sue them for stealing the premise of Aaah Real Monsters.

Well the idea of a bunch of monsters in a school isn't all that new really.Remembers the 3D casper movie and cartoon were he goes to monster school

24 minutes ago, SOSU said:

Well the idea of a bunch of monsters in a school isn't all that new really.Remembers the 3D casper movie and cartoon were he goes to monster school

I was referring more to the whole "world where closet monsters are organized and it's their job to scare people" thing.

Except Nickelodeon actually made them believably creepy. There's not a single monster in Monsters Inc that's anything but adorable. I call bullshit.

Anyway to answer your question from earlier, the Medusa was the monster that insta-killed you. I was thinking she'd be the villain of episode 2 if I get around to making one.

14 minutes ago, Impie said:

Except Nickelodeon actually made them believably creepy.

I don't think they even tried making them creepy looking at some of the early to late 90s nick cartoons lol.

Edited by SOSU

Noobface Review!

Great and interesting mod! Setting and atmosphere is a bit cheesy, but after I did some research I figured out it was supposed to be so, so great atmosphere capture!

Took me a while to figure out that ghosts revive all the zombies ghouls, but I had enjoyed fightning and making sure I don't hit any of the friendlier NPCs.

The puzzle in the lab screwed me over and over and I bet I had spent at least 35% of my gameplay at this part.

Question: Did you really had to use Heretic to make this? Is it possible to use Doom2 stuff at all? Was it the textures, or the inventory?

All in all, transferring the entire game into a "3D" realm instead of keeping it a linear scroller is what takes the cake here, I presume. This is why I like all (okay, not all) game ports and independent games made like this. With a extra dimension in play, tons of stuff opens up to use, and play with. Great job, 9/10 (because of the damn puzzle >:( ).

6 hours ago, Gez said:

The name of MAP05 kinda bugs me because Albuquerque is spelled with an 'u'.

Goddammit I was sure I spelled it right...Guess I'll fix that with the next update.

lol And now the wiki mods will have to fix it too.

7 hours ago, Battle_Kirby said:

Question: Did you really had to use Heretic to make this? Is it possible to use Doom2 stuff at all? Was it the textures, or the inventory?

The other option was to use Doom 2 and then painstakingly figure out how to transfer ALLLLL of the default graphics, sounds, items, mechanics, etc. I woulda spent more time doing that than making the damn thing.

EDIT: Dammit, I double posted...

Updated the download so Albuquerque is spelled right, and also the windows at the school are translucent.

On 8/3/2017 at 1:34 PM, Xyzzy01 said:

Aww yes! Cant wait to get my hands on the Gamma Gun!

Woohoo! :D

gg.png.150721e33fbb21df55ba04ba41cf465e.png

Hmm, decisions, decisions... You would think a bat would be be more effective than a towel...