Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ermin

Solace Dreams - (Version 1.6.4) SOME progress.

I'm not going to lie - this looks interesting. There's definitely a DS/SH vibe coming through. Some people may prefer polygons but I like the gritty style of voxels. 

Version 0.45 Update
-School stage complete.
-New enemy added. (Child)
-Lee Boss fight complete.
-Minor Fixes to previous stages.

Version 0.5 Update COMING SOON!!
Anybody remember the Rootpain mod i made years back?
Well thats being remastered and being used for one of the stages in Solace Dreams. Heres what to expect...

-New stage Rootpain based entirely in the Womb.
-Blood cells enemies.
-Giant Fetus boss fight.
-New music and sounds.
-Fixes

.est of update completion - mid July

Edited by Ermin

Hi all, please read carefully through this post before downloading...
DETAILS & DOWNLOAD
i have just uploaded the latest version of the mod.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvtjbfe432h3tfn/ErminMod.7z?dl=0 (VERSION 0.4.5)

Spoiler

Here is a list of updated features...
-3 new stages 1 of which is currently in development.
-Compressed every sprite, sound and music in the game to the lowest and smallest quality possible.
-addressed and fixed all minor bugs in previous stages.

This current version is mainly to those of you that are helping me test the mod out for bugs and quality control.

Spoiler

This spoiler is addressed to those testers...
Please replay the game from start to finish making notes on any part that causes serious lag or constant stuttering, i would also like some notes on your opinion on gameplay, design and overall quality so i can make the necessary changes. Im quite aware that most if not all players might not be able to even start level MAP_4-LAURA_THEMEPARK (map04) so for the time being ignore it an move on.
IDCLEV also works now and you can warp to any of the completed stages although this method brakes hub warping,saving and balance, more details on this later.
Please inbox me all the notes you have made so i can contemplate the necessary changes, i would prefer to leave this thread for update info and reviews on completion when its done thanks.

For those of you who want to play this mod genuinely please wait for completion. Thanks.

TECHNICAL ISSUES
Im sure by now most people are aware the problem this mod faces, and im currently working on it.
For those of you who dont, the in game voxels are causing serious performance issues in Gzdoom. Im speaking mainly to those poeple with lower to mid range machines, i have taken this into account and will be re-releasing the mod again. The Re-release will only be available on completion of the mod and can be downloaded along side the original for those of us with high end computers, the "LITE" version will reduce voxel and dynamic lighting by 80% for every level and strategically place whats left to make it look less basic. So although i have not eliminated the problem, im hoping it will still be playable. Thanks for understanding.

COMMUNITY
To those of you who do like the mod and would love to make custom levels for it, then i will be making this possible as of now. By adding another "Door" to the starting HUB of the game reserved solely for community made levels, players can skip the main game entirely and play user generated levels instead. BUT...

Spoiler

HOUSE RULES
-The mod must use custom based textures & Sprites of your creation, or at least close to something original.
-Voxels are allowed too.
-Custom music would be nice, but not nessasry. (Sadly i have been unable to make my own custom music due to Propellerhead reason not working with W8.1)
-Your level must be at least 10/20min long in gameplay.
-The theme and story must follow the main games style. (A story isnt necessary but would be nice)
-Im giving your wad a 20/40mb limit.
-When placing item pickups in your level use, stim, medkits, pistol clip, chaingun ammo and shells so i can make the changes when importing your mod, use berserk packs for the save camera.
-Thing Tag 14 is reserved solely for the player pawn necessary for saving and other events in game.

Once you have your level designed inbox me the download link and it will be tested and evaluated. i will assign a custom school desk to the community hub so players can access your level through my mod, once the mod has finally reached end of development your custom levels will be available to play at start and you will be fully credited for your time and effort. For those of you who make more than 4 levels you will be assigned a special "Hub door" purely for your own creations. To the first developer that does put a good amount of time an effort into making at least 4 decent levels will be rewarded with a donation from me of £20, have fun. and thanks for reading.

Edited by Ermin

FLESH.png.e03266755615bd60cc72eaf967b0decc.png
Progress so far on rootpain/Hospital Ward stage, sorry for bad quality had to cut resolution by 2/3rds.
(This sample has had a brightness increase and does not represent the in game image, for people with darker screens)
The entire level is made of flesh chunks, the stage also pulses to simulate blood pumping that also follows a background heart beat sfx.
The main code an level design is compete, just working on monsters and boss fight.

Here is a development process image of the up coming boss fight in the rootpain stage.
probably the most sophisticated boss fight yet in the game with multiple parts to kill. (head, hand, intestines, other)

this boss will pay homage to the famous anime akira having a grand entrance of a baby like monster.
5961020f76fe4_ROOTPAINBOSS.png.d64041815681f0289ea993ffff6058e4.png

There will be no more reveals until release of this stage. thanks for viewing.

I found a small solution that may fix lag/stuttering for some users.
At the start of each stage there will be a loading screen (waiting time will vary for each level), during this process a thing is spawned in front of the player. This "thing" cycles through all the animated voxels for that particular level and puts it into memory, so during the actual game it plays smooth with no stuttering.
This is similar to GZdoom gltexture caching, im not to pleased to use this method but to ensure smooth gameplay it may need to be put in place.

Edited by Ermin : some changes to script

Idk why but this feels a lot similar to this game (with the exception of the Horror you put in)

UPDATE 0.5 Half way there !!!
-Hospital Ward Complete.
-New enemies added
-New boss fight added.
-New item summon added.
-Updates & fixes to previous stages.
-Strategy guide info added (contains spoilers)
-New loading screens added on each stage. (Each loading screen time will vary for each level, resulting in Smoother gameplay)

Edited by Ermin : update

MINOR UPDATE 0.5.1 (this update addresses all previous levels)
-All SFX have been tested and leveled to play comfortably with headphones. (as intended)
-Map 3 (Dungeon) and Map 4 (Theme park) has had 90% of trees(voxel) replaced with textures(line).
-50% of dynamic lighting from Map 4 (Theme park) has been removed.
-secret 1 (dungeon keeper) has been update. (a mistress can now be recruited)
-all in game dialog/notes have been updated
-enemy changes(possessed armor attack frames increased, not so hard to fight now)
-fixed infinite shotgun shells bug
-strategy guide update

UPCOMING UPDATE
-Upon completing a stage, it WILL now possible to back track and open previously locked doors to regain some lost ammo and health.
 (this is probably the most important update yet, some previous bosses were almost impossible to beat with little to no ammo remaining)

HELP WANTED!

-A decent artist to make the title screen, credits & info page art.
-A tester to share there opinions on current development and future plans

Edited by Ermin

5970ba18dbec2_spidersnest.png.3d9eda43e4ec12aeb212a27a2317fc08.png

UPDATE 0.6
-Welcome to the spider queens lair. Here you will face the creature surrounded by egg sacks when approached hatch into spiderlings.
-Knife now has a altfire that lunges player forward.
-new spider enemies and boss.

-all previous stages updated. (more ammo and health has been placed everywhere)

Theater stage has been put on halt for the time being.

I'll be honest: I have no idea how to get this mess running. I downloaded the latest version you provided (near the top of this page), but it's just one big mess of files with nothing to indicate on how to run it all.

If you insist on bundling your game / mod with GZDoom, you should set it up to where you put all the game and engine files in one folder with a shortcut to ensure that GZDoom is running your game as an IWAD. Speaking of WADs... Why are you not using a PK3?

I don't usually play GZDoom mods that aren't Doom but this looks interesting and I love voxels :D

Noone has left a review in this thread, though? Has anyone played it on Youtube, so I can see it in action?

45 minutes ago, Agentbromsnor said:

I'll be honest: I have no idea how to get this mess running. I downloaded the latest version you provided (near the top of this page), but it's just one big mess of files with nothing to indicate on how to run it all.

If you insist on bundling your game / mod with GZDoom, you should set it up to where you put all the game and engine files in one folder with a shortcut to ensure that GZDoom is running your game as an IWAD. Speaking of WADs... Why are you not using a PK3?

all nessasry information about installation and getting the game to run as intended is on the first post of this game topic.

The game is also in a very incomplete state thats why the files are currently all separated. the final release will be a single iwad file.
just drap and drop the folder (the folder that has all the bundled wads) onto the launcher i provided. done.

45 minutes ago, VGA said:

I don't usually play GZDoom mods that aren't Doom but this looks interesting and I love voxels :D

Noone has left a review in this thread, though? Has anyone played it on Youtube, so I can see it in action?

a complete walkthrough video will be released along side this mod on completion for those who cant play or would like to see the game.

Edited by Ermin : doom2.wad is required to run the mod for the time being

1 minute ago, Ermin said:

all nessasry information about installation and getting the game to run as intended is on the first post of this game topic.

The game is also in a very incomplete state thats why the files are currently all separated. the final release will be a single iwad file.
just drap and drop the zip (the zip that has all the bundled wads) onto the launcher i provided. done.

I did that, and after the cutscene played it shows a HUD and a black screen... The launcher displayed a couple of script-errors, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I'll give it another shot when you've reached a more playable beta stage. The screenshots look promising, so best of luck with developing. I still wish you would use PK3, since it's the superior format for (G)ZDoom projects, but whatever floats your boat. Keep up the good work!

i apologize for the inconvenience and current state of the mod.
Once the game finally reaches its end, i hope to compact the whole mod to a single iwad hopefuly without the use of doom2.wad.
Thanks for viewing anyways its much appreciated.

OH MY GOD!

I'm building a PC ATM and can not play this with a good enough FPS to enjoy it, but WHAT THE FUCK? You are insane, dude! WOW! I can't say enough. I would have not imagined this to be possible. My mind is blown.

Addendum: I didn't want to spoil the MOD by reading comments first. I just now read through this thread and I couldn't help but laugh out loud at ObviousTroll's attempt to bait @Ermin with his comment. That's gold. 

Keep up the great work! I'll be happy to help you test in about ~two months or so when I have enough for my new rig.

Edited by everennui

ezgif-4-5bc724a0ab.gif
WIP spider entrance (before voxel conversion)
(When entering the nest she will rise up)

LVLUP.png.4b1fb111ff77133a55f33368495f9a69.png
MINOR UPDATE
New upgrade perks added, 1 for each weapon. Hidden in secret locations.
-Knife : adds alt fire "lunge strike"
-Pistol : Fires 2 bullets at the cost of 1 ammo.
-Sawedoff : adds 2 more pellets per shot.
-Uzi : 20% chance of a free shot (no ammo cost)

MAJOR UPDATE 0.6.4 (This will be last update till 0.7)
-Added developer notes that can be found at the secret parts of each level.

-Added weapon perks.(details above post)
-Added community door at hub for custom made maps from players.
-Added a donation diary reserved for the highest donator (a special level will be made by there specifications; see post high above for details)

-caverns stage, boss and enemies complete.
-Strategy guide updated to include all new details.
-Bullet cases now have shadows and will no longer stay forever.

-all in game notes have been updated.
-shit loada bug fixes.
-all previous levels have been expanded upon.
-some enemy updates.

THEATRE.png.10d9e827e6d99dc452b19bdcc84644c3.png

Welcome to the Theater (WIP), here you will be put in a word game against the twins Thalia & Melpomene.

The correct answer will reward you with plenty items whereas the wrong answer will spawn waves of enemies.

SUGGESTIONS
How should the word game proceed?
1. pressing a button up on stage that spawns a present as a reward, till eventually the bosses reveal them selfs (bioshock 1 style).
2. Proceeding through doors eventually finding a secret escaping the stage and finding the bosses. (portal style)

I noticed in the video a couple of minor English errors:

• "Show yourselfs" should be "Show yourselves",
  • "What games" should have a question mark, like so: "What games?",
  • "Based on there answers" should be "based on their answers",

When the game is nearing finalisation, it might be worth getting a few people to test it who are willing to carefully proofread the dialogue in this game - Bad English is all it takes to make a really good game feel unprofessional and poorly made.

Aside from these minor problems, the game itself so far looks very, very promising!

MAJOR UPDATE 0.7 BETA (Almost there!)

• Major update to strategy guide with all updated info.
  • Theater stage complete with all new bosses and puzzle/mini game sequence.
  • New secrets added.
  • Minor bug fixes on all stages.
  • some more changes to all enemies.

UPCOMING UPDATE(Coming soon!)

• New matrix stage.
  • A secret glitch stage within the matrix will grant the player maximum everything! (For cheaters and wimps)
  • New enemies and bosses.
  • Minor bug fixes etc.
  • And finally a trailer to showcase the mod.

UPDATE 0.7.5 MATRIX

• Matrix stage complete.
  • Boss "Karl the master computer" added.
  • New enemy "Virus"
  • Small updates to previous stages.
  • New info added to strategy guide

TRAILER COMING SOON!!!

Almost complete, only 4 stages left including the last boss.