Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tindrone

Hey Doomworld what's your favorite rpg game?

The title says it all, what is you favorite Rpg game and what sub-genre does it belong to?

mine would either be Deus Ex or Oblivion, which are both Action Rpgs.

I always liked hack and slash, especially diablo I/II which I played for like 6 years. Diablo II has a more-of-everything feel but nothing can beat these sound clips from the first game. Turn off the light, put on your headphones(important), play the clip, close your eyes, relax and listen to the intonations and tone of voice.

Valkyrie Profile, Chrono Cross, FF6, Wild Arms 3, Chrono Trigger, Lufia II, Suikoden 1, Live-A-Live, Growlanser II, Kartia

All except Kartia (which is turn-based strategy), Growlanser II (active-time strategy), and Live-A-Live (pretty much its own thing) are turn-based jRPGs, some of them active-time. Valkyrie Profile is easily my favorite.

Edited by NuMetalManiak : oops

In all honesty, I'm not much for RPGs.  But I do like a few here and there.

My two favorites are Phantasy Star IV, which is a more traditional JRPG, and World of Warcraft, which is crack.  Legend of Grimrock was also a really cool dungeon crawler RPG sort of thing, and I want to replay it someday.  It would probably be my second favorite.

Actually, thinking about it more, the hack-n-slash and dungeon crawler genres are really more of the type of RPG that I actually enjoy.  Diablo 3 is stupidly fun sometimes (I haven't played the others), as is good ol' Gauntlet.  Even in WoW, I play it almost exclusively for the raids and dungeons, thus turning it into a sort of hack-n-slash game.  The quests can just go to hell :-P

I have two favorites: Final Fantasy 12 (especially the Zodiac version) and Dragon Quest 8. Lots of hours playing those 2 games...

I have made my piece with that genre, it does not respect my time.

I used to play the secret of mana series a lot, which was fun, and I might play it again. Other than that I was racing the ladder on path of exile for extended periods of time until the game went down the shitter, just like any other casualized walking simulator with stacked-on slotmachine mechanics does eventually.

RPG fanatics are going to call me a lame casual but I actually like games that don't take 99999999999 years to beat and Mario RPG + Pokemon Yellow both gave me a great experience without overstaying their welcome. Easy picks!

EDIT: Since Oblivion counts I also have to give that a mention, very enjoyable game.

PC master race reporting in. Albion (1995, Blue Byte) is the most beautiful game I've played. It's in the sweet spot between mechanically perfect explorative CRPGs of the old and story/character-driven JRPGs. The plot is smart and captivating, like Cameron's Avatar done right, 10 years earlier.

2212985-7056_boxshot_albion_1_.jpg

Other than that, every Infinity Engine game is worth it (Baldur's Gate 1&2, Icewind Dale 1&2, Planescape Torment), Morrowind is my favourite TES game and Wizardry 7 is the game that puts the fear of God in me. I also greatly enjoy the Exile/Avernum saga, Might & Magic 4&5&6, Stone Prophet, Realms of Arkania trilogy, Fallout 1&2, Knights of the Old Republic 2 (community patched) or Ambermoon. Gothic 1&2 are casual fun. Of new games, the Witcher saga rocks. On the topic of JRPGs, I did like Final Fantasy 7, but there's something inherently flawed about the RPG aspect of those games and I can hardly bring myself to recognize them in a discussion such as this.

I think the only RPG I've played and truly enjoyed is Summoner, and I mean enjoyed to the point that it's one of my favorite games of all time. The writing is really good, with an engaging plot and side quest with interesting stories behind them. I have no idea of RPG sub-genres, but it's a 3D, real time kind of RPG.

Also, I haven't had the chance to play any TES games (except Arena, but that abomination doesn't count) and I didn't like Diablo because of the randomly-generated levels.

Our favorite role-playing game game?

Personally I've been an early fan of TES (Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind). Oblivion was disappointing until it got Knights of the Nine and, especially, Shivering Isles. Skyrim was better, but Morrowind is still the best of the series IMO.

I'm also a fan of Ultima Underworld II. That was a really, really great game, with good character writing, lots of things to explore, lots of fight.

Perhaps they're not strictly speaking CRPGs, more of action/RPG hybrids, but I've also loved Deus Ex and System Shock II.

Arx Fatalis, Albion, Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, and Dragon Age: Origins are other CRPGs I have enjoyed. I've never played any JRPG.

Diablo 2 is fucking sick. I decide that "one more quest and I'm done for today", next thing you know it's 2am and I'm on the next difficulty level already. Hell makes me sad though because I'm not nerdy enough to look for the proper gear and stuff. But I can have fun with Normal\Nightmare anyway. The game is just so good, the music, the sounds, the act themes, everything is done with so much artistry.

Tried some Japanese ones but WTF is that battle system in Suikoden, Phantasy Star, etc? It feels like in 90% fights it doesn't matter at all who I choose to attack since I'm gonna win anyway. And if I'm having problems I probably just need to level up rather than come up with a better tactic. So much filler, I don't really get it so far.

In Russia we had Evil Islands, a really interesting rpg with a very strong stealth element, catchy story, memorable music and voice acting. It was a bit of a saveload spam (keep reloading until you land a strong hit from behind, then keep reloading until you manage to quickly damage the monster's hands so that it hits you very slowly, etc) but somehow even that was enjoyable in a weird way. It was truly a Russian game.

Skyrim. The Elder Scrolls in general and Fallout. Ever since Morrowind. It's very immersive and as far as ROLE PLAYING games go, I don't think you can beat a first person perspective. The adventure keeps getting more realistic with every iteration, and I am always excited when I see a new game in the series - specifically, The Elder Scrolls.

Fallout 4 graphics are great, and I hope not too many resources are dedicated to its visual fidelity. I hope to see more of an improvement to scripting and choices.

I have fond memories of the Ultima series. The Elder Scrolls series is excellent.

I currently play Neverwinter Nights. With so many player-made modules, many of them better than the official campaign, it is a game that keeps on giving, much like Doom (1 and 2).

The original Dragon Quest for the Famicom/NES which was known as Dragon Warrior in the US.

Deus Ex is my favourite RPG with its freedom of choice, the epic story and J.C. Denton (Denton is a reason by himself to play the game).

Daggerfall is the second one with its vast game world and the infinite dungeons or quests that you can complete. Plus its medieval setting is well executed.

Diablo comes as a close third for the scary atmosphere and because I liked its gameplay.

Additionally, these games have all excellent soundtracks and I appreciate that.

Deus Ex and Daggerfall also happen to be my second and third favourite games of all time respectively.

I've only played a select few RPGs - never been hugely into the genre - but for me, it'd be a tie between Skyrim and Xenogears. Two drastically different games. Funnily enough, I have a love-hate relationship with JRPGs (which Xenogears here represents), but not so much any other RPG sub-genre. But the thing about Xenogears is that it's a different sort of JRPG, especially in regards to the combat system. That's one of the main draws in the game for me, alongside the stellar soundtrack and the themes it explores.

I'm also a sucker for Dragon Quest. It's a shame DQX and DQXI won't be coming to the US... but you never know.

Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate, Deus Ex, Gothic, Morrowind, System Shock 2, Ultima 7, The Witcher 3. Probably missing a few but these are the ones I can think of from the top of my head.

Mine would be the nes DBZ rpgs, the snes DBZ rpg, tedious since they require a lot of grinding to be able to stand a chance against the bosses, Undertale, cancerous fanbase, but it's a good game and lastly OFF, interesting rpg, unique artstyle, has plenty of fanmade games aka spinOFFs as they are called and the best part is that it's a free game.

22 hours ago, dew said:

I did like Final Fantasy 7, but there's something inherently flawed about the RPG aspect of those games and I can hardly bring myself to recognize them in a discussion such as this.

The FF series I would largely categorize as "visual novel" and the RPG categorization it generally gets is more of a marketing thing. I dont know if there is a single entry in the series where the player gets to take on a role and make decisions. Square did scratch this itch however with Chrono Trigger, which is like the polar opposite where there are tons of decisions to be made with both gameplay and major story implications.

Definitely the Diablo series, it probably made an impact as solid as Doom did in my youth. If I played RPG/Hack 'n slash style, I was playing Diablo, if I were to play shooters, it was Doom.

Earthbound, all the Xeno games by Monolith Software, FFXII, Legend of Dragoon, Golden Sun, Megaman Legends, Chrono Cross/Trigger.

Mainly jRPGs are what I find appealing due to their amazing music and art direction.  While I liked some of the western RPGs that I've played, it's terrifying how much time each one can eat up... I'm looking at you, Diablo II and Morrowind.

I would say The Elder Scrolls, starting from Arena all the way up to Skyrim. Planning on getting Redguard somehow, yeah, I know it isn't a RPG, more like a action adventure game, but if they can call Legend of Zelda a RPG then nothing is sacred in this world.

Fallout! Starting from 2 up to 3 (ehhh?), I would try out New Vegas and Fallout: Tactics, although I think FO:T isn't really that recommendable by the player-base, or was that Brotherhood of Steel? Or both?

Never understood jrpgs, and why people like them. I did play one of these long time ago, it didn't really go with me.