Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

What is your favourite iteration of Counter Strike?

Favourite Counter Strike iteration  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite Counter Strike iteration?

• Counter Strike 1.6
    • Counter Strike: Condition Zero
    • Counter Strike: Source
    • CSGO

Do you favour Counter Strike 1.6 for its unparalleled skill ceiling and perennial gameplay balance?

Or how about Counter Strike: Source for its plethora of community made content?

Maybe you're all about CSGO, because you like the weapon drops, modern graphics, and matchmaking? 

Perhaps your favourite is Counter Strike: Condition Zero because... I dunno, you're being ironic? You'll have to explain this one to me.

Edited by Ajora

Haven't played Global Offensive myself, even though everyone I know says its the best, but to me its 1.6 > Source > Condition Zero Players. 

Although I admit I just have played 1.6 far more than Source, so I probably haven't seen the best it has to offer.

CSGO's community is total garbage. The game itself isn't a bad game, but it gets boring solo.

Personally CSS is my favorite because I grew up playing it the most. Even though I was born in 1991, I ended up being into Source more than the original. However, that's not to say that I don't like the original because I do. CSS might be my favorite but I'd say 1.6 is the best one.

I will go with CS:GO, because I haven't played any other games in the series (except a bit of 1.6 at my friend's house). I would probably like Source though.

I will also agree that the community in CS:GO is complete garbage. It took me a really long time to learn the basics, even though I have decent aim in most shooters, because I got kicked in every game for being a newbie (SERIOUSLY???). But I persisted and now, sometimes, I even get to be the top scorer in casual games (rare occurrence). And I get a few good or lucky plays, once in a while.

Other than that, the weapons are fun to handle and I love the M4A1-S, even though it got nerfed to oblivion, compared to its former self.

I only ever played 1.6 but 1.6 is also the most popular in my country so i will go with 1.6

I played 1.6 a lot, but Source seemed like 1.6 Remaster or something. I didn't play Source that much, so I can't say for sure.

1.6 guy here.

CZ, better graphics, a bot campaign, a great introduction, beginner friendly and a good way to get started on CS, detailed textures, updated maps from 1.6, detailed textures, the best hostages of any CS, very realistic, they wave at you when they see you as CT, return to back T spawn when spotted by a terrorist, run from grenades, etc., better perfomance, plus the singleplayer CSCZ:Deleted Scenes, 1.6 is great, Source is pretty good, but GO, just no, with that pay2win skins bs nonsense, the recent gambling fiasco and the garbage community, 

So CZ it is for me, you get the old maps and updated versions of them, so it's a win-win.

8 minutes ago, Pencil of Doom said:

CZ, better graphics, a bot campaign, a great introduction, beginner friendly and a good way to get started on CS, detailed textures, updated maps from 1.6, detailed textures, the best hostages of any CS, very realistic, they wave at you when they see you as CT, return to back T spawn when spotted by a terrorist, run from grenades, etc., better perfomance, plus the singleplayer CSCZ:Deleted Scenes, 1.6 is great, Source is pretty good, but GO, just no, with that pay2win skins bs nonsense, the recent gambling fiasco and the garbage community, 

So CZ it is for me, you get the old maps and updated versions of them, so it's a win-win.

Skins don't give you any advantages. They function precisely the same as the default weapons. 

33 minutes ago, Pencil of Doom said:

pay2win skins

Explain how paying for a skin will give you an advantage. I'm still pretty shit at the game even though I have a knife.

8 minutes ago, YukiHerz said:

But you still get bitched at if you're not using them.

I'll go with 1.6.

Not true, only praised for using good ones. The only difference I've noticed is people always grab my CT pistol because it has a cool skull on it.

Damn, I find it hard to believe the CS series is 18 now. I started right at the ass end of the beta period, when the player models had some really exaggerated hit animations that made headshots a lot harder to land. Come around retail release, they removed the hit animations in favor of the skeletal animation system from Half-Life. A byproduct of that was the head hitbox barely moved, so if you mananged to tag someone when firing full-auto you would let the recoil carry your crosshair up and score a headshot. I still think that was when the bar was lowered because prior to that, positioning and sightlines gave you a much better chance of knowing when and where an enemy head was. It still is, but aim and reflexes play about an equal part in going for that vital shot and lowering overall time-to-kill.

Speaking of headshots, I believe this emphasis was the reason why cheating and hacking in PC gaming (and consoles when they went online) became so prevalent when CS went retail. Sure there were cheats before in the FPS genre, but not nearly as widespread. Now I hear there are subscriptions to cheating software, althought I think I'm late by some years.

I still hate, HATE the AWM so damn much. I get why it is a one-bodyshot kill, but reducing its mag from 10 to 5 wouldn't reduce its effectiveness. The weapon was also my first exposure to how toxic a community can get. At one point in the Source version, it was possible to bypass the bolt-action animation with the quickswitch key, meaning a faster fire rate for the weapon. And people actually argued for keeping it in! It was pandemonium in their forums when the arguments devolved into spamming goatse, tubgirl and all the other shock sites of yore. Shit, I don't even know if that was worse than a similar incident in Black Ops II, where a weapon similar to the AWM was slightly nerfed in fire rate. Except instead of the aforementioned shock sites, it was death threats via Twitter.

I've never played GO. What little I do know of it relates to the skins, the economy that popped up around it (almost $1750 USD for a cosmetic skin of a knife?!), the gambling crates, and that shady shitbag leveraging his Youtube channel and site to win skins and show off to an unknowing audience.

I will give CS one thing, for kickstarting an interest in firearms. But I had to unlearn a lot of things (full-auto fire means for shit if you're not actually hitting your target, that thing you pull on the M4A1 is supposed to be pushed in, the Desert Eagle in any caliber is only good for wankery, target shooting and NOTHING ELSE, actually read and obey the 4 Laws of Firearms Safety at all times, etc.).

I like CZ's updated maps over the originals is all. They look nicer and the game plays the same.

21 hours ago, SavageCorona said:

Explain how paying for a skin will give you an advantage.

The only reason i see for skins is for the flashy looks, to enhance the graphics of the gun and for scams like the recent gambling fiasco.

Either way Valve is to blame for introducing these pay2win microtransactions, 1750 for a skin is stupid when you can get free skins of higher quality on other sites.

I enjoyed playing CS:GO from release to around the point where they added item drops. What disappoints me is that useful weapon variety is still as shit as it was back in 1.6. Every time I open a stream of some pro-match, it's always 4 AK/M4 + 1 AWP per team. I'll get back to CS when there are more than 3 primary weapons.

The last CS I played to a large extent was CS: Source. I'd like to play GO but I feel guilty playing online shooters now when I have such a large backlog of games I need to play.

No love for pre-Steam Counter Strike? Sure, it was before my time, but i'm a little surprised there's no mention of 1.5 or older...

I played a bunch of 1.5 back in '02 and wasn't a huge fan of the 1.6 update initially. For whatever reason, 1.6 ran significantly worse despite looking the same and it felt like a lot of the gun accuracy went to shit. i.e. Scoped AUG was really good in 1.5.

I prefer CSGO although these days I don't even touch the official Matchmaking servers anymore & only play my favorite active Deathrun or minigame community servers when I'm in the mood to play.

I remember being surprised that CS was "supposed to be played" 5v5 after joining a clan, since most pub maps had 20-32 players. Larger team sizes are more fun for disorganized play with strangers where you can do whatever in the map without having people rage over the mic.