Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Did "The shores of ZDoom" authors lose interest?

1 minute ago, Salt-Man Z said:

PerZDition's Gate

Hell Z Pay

I don't see a "doom" in there :/

I may have accidentally ruined it. As an unfortunate side effect of a rather mean joke I made towards some work in progress screenshots that caused the thread to be split, i dont recall any more screenshots or anything indicating progress happening after that.

I miss when high detail/aesthetics was a more popular ambition for most mappers. Even if not for playing the maps, but to just have really visually appealing screenshots to ogle at for inspiration.

I mean, its not gone, but it doesn't seem like innovation for it is celebrated as much anymore.

27 minutes ago, 40oz said:

I miss when high detail/aesthetics was a more popular ambition for most mappers.

Funnily enough i try to add the least ammount of detail possible without making it look like a map from 95 XD.So it looks like mappers really evolved since that time

i  hope it still gets done. i like the idea of a re-interpretation of udoom with a more refined doom engine.

Looks like people got bored and moved on to more interesting projects than just remaking old maps everyone has played hundreds of times. In other words:

The Snores of ZzzzDoom

Well KDiZD isn't that good but really now 7 (?) years of extra experience could have made TSoZD a great mod :)

5 hours ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

If somebody picks this up again, here's a Titlepic/Interpic I cobbled together which you can use.

fg22MQi.png

Lovely pic! 

I do hope this project eventually sees the light of day.

Judging from the screenies, there's been a solid amount of good work on it, and I'd also like to see what kind of new monsters the team had in store for us... KDiZD gave us the excellent Bruiser Demons, Satyrs, mechanical Demons etc., so surely we'd have had a fancy Cyberdemon counterpart here... :)

3 minutes ago, WH-Wilou84 said:

I do hope this project eventually sees the light of day.

Judging from the screenies, there's been a solid amount of good work on it, and I'd also like to see what kind of new monsters the team had in store for us... KDiZD gave us the excellent Bruiser Demons, Satyrs, mechanical Demons etc., so surely we'd have had a fancy Cyberdemon counterpart here... :)

Agreed, but then again, KDIZD also gave us the magmantis so yeah haha

Not sure if it has something to do but the huge amount of destructive criticism that KDiZD has received over the years plus the huge amount of effort that project took could be a dissuasive factor, just saying..

I'd love to see a sequel

19 minutes ago, nicolas monti said:

Not sure if it has something to do but the huge amount of destructive criticism that KDiZD has received over the years plus the huge amount of effort that project took could be a dissuasive factor, just saying..

Well, the team's not the same (esselfortium is the leader of TSoZD), and it's safe to assume that they're fully aware of KDiZD's weaker aspects.

On Thursday, August 03, 2017 at 10:16 AM, esselfortium said:

KDiKDiZD isn't happening unless it gets restarted from scratch someday. It's old, old, old stuff, full of awkward and incomplete aspects that would take a lot of work to fix and finish, and my whole mindset for mapping is so different than it was a decade ago that I'd want to change nearly everything about it.

That's good to know. Even back then, while I was working on other maps for the project, I started not liking my version of Z1M2 at all. Back in 2015 (I think) I was rummaging through some of my old files and came across my KDiKDiZD folder and trying playing through that map for shits and giggles.... couldn't even finish it, it was so bad. Only positive thing I can say for it was that some of the visual tricks were neat.

Knee Deep In ZDoom was one of the first Doom wads I played single-player wise a few years ago, and I really enjoyed it despite its occasionally confusing progression and some tricky spots later on. I'd love to see Shores of ZDoom become a reality one day......

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:12 PM, 40oz said:

I miss when high detail/aesthetics was a more popular ambition for most mappers. Even if not for playing the maps, but to just have really visually appealing screenshots to ogle at for inspiration.

I mean, its not gone, but it doesn't seem like innovation for it is celebrated as much anymore.

Makes me think of Wads In Progress. Always saw lots of lovely screenies there, but for the most part, it was Wads That Never Got Finished. Maybe people concentrated so much on cool architecture that they lost energy when it came time to actually put monsters in and do some gameplay.

Knee Deep in the ZDoom
Shores of ZDoom
Inferno Zdoomed
Thy Flesh ZDoomed

No Rest for the ZDoom?

2 minutes ago, Lokust Sun said:

Knee Deep in the ZDoom
Shores of ZDoom
Inferno Zdoomed
Thy Flesh ZDoomed

No Rest for the ZDoom?

No ZDoom for the living

3 hours ago, Lokust Sun said:

Knee Deep in the ZDoom
Shores of ZDoom
Inferno Zdoomed
Thy Flesh ZDoomed

No Rest for the ZDoom?

Thy Zdoom Consumed sounds slightly better.

18 minutes ago, UAC-Janitor said:

ahahhahaahahaha thy GZDoom consumed get it because zdoom is no longer in active development ahahahaha got em

Actually it would by Thy QZDoom Consumed if we really want to get techincal.

1 hour ago, ClumsyWizard said:

Actually it would by Thy QZDoom Consumed if we really want to get techincal.

Thy EZDoom Consumed if we really want to get Sharey Warey ;)

I've been thinking of making independent attempts at high-detail enhancements of IWAD maps, similar to KDiZD or this in-progress TSoZD. Unfortunately, adding so much detail makes the map harder to edit. How did you guys manage to make these mods without wasting so much time detailing and unwinding? I can always add lots of tiny detail in E2M1, but it would just slow me down from adding new interesting passages.

6 hours ago, printz said:

I've been thinking of making independent attempts at high-detail enhancements of IWAD maps, similar to KDiZD or this in-progress TSoZD. Unfortunately, adding so much detail makes the map harder to edit. How did you guys manage to make these mods without wasting so much time detailing and unwinding? I can always add lots of tiny detail in E2M1, but it would just slow me down from adding new interesting passages.

This is one of the reasons why nowadays I always build a completely undetailed layout first and get the major paths and structures at least mostly "locked in" before I start doing any aesthetic work beyond the simplest of functional architecture and lighting.

I think part of the reason this wad has lost insterest too is that no one seems to map for plain old ZDoom anymore. The community as a whole is turning towards other source ports for things as the community evolves.

And the ZDoom source port itself now pretty much officially dead, as I don't believe anyone is developing engine updates for it anymore. Also, many the standout ZDoom features have been rolled into other source ports, notably GZ/QZDoom, Zandronum and PrBoom+. It's a sad ending for a source port that was once the community's gold standard for many years - I remember many a wad that I would personally default to ZDoom to play.

For the project to see more interest or a full revival, you'd probably have to take whatever work was done on the project and move it to a new source port (Likely GZ/QZDoom) to recruit new talent working on modern Doom map design elements.

Also, perhaps it's just me, but I don't think Episode 2 stands out as much as Episodes 1 and 3 did. Well, besides the iconic Cyberdemon fight at the end of course - our old rocket-launching friend was quite a worthy opponent the first couple of times you faced off against it. Though even by today's standards, an effectively placed Cyberdemon can definitely panic the player into a heated fight if they didn't bring a BFG friend or a bunch of monsters to infight with.

Edited by Traysandor