• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insomniak

The horror...the horror...

Paths of Glory
Deer Hunter (not really a war movie)
Lawrence of Arabia

all the movies that have already been named are good too...
watched most of Dirty Dozen the other day, that's a fun movie.

Gandhi (a man fighting a war without falling back to violence; Gandhi beats all of the socalled "warhero`s"!)

I remember my dad saying Where Eagles Dare is also a good war movie, though I've not seen it myself.

Apocalypse Now, of course. They should use some lines from the movie in Doom III...

"I wanted a mission, and for my sins they gave me one."
"They were going to make me a major for this, and I wasn't even in their army any more..."

Star Wars!

Seriously though : 'Good Morning Vietnam'; 'Full Metal Jacket'.

Apocalypse Now (only the action/assault secenes though)
Hamburger Hill
Kelly's Heroes
Platoon
Saving Private Ryan
Three Kings

Full metal jacket

I dont think Ghandi should count, although i love that movie

Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down. I heard Full Metal Jacket is a good movie. Although I've never seen the movie before, I know this line came from it, "What is your major malfunction, numbnut!"

Stalinguard (possibly spelt wrong)
It’s in German. About the battle of Stalinguard (surprise surprise!) think Saving private Ryan, but with even less glory war glory, and IMO exposes war for what it is better then Saving private Ryan could ever hope to achieve.

DooMBoy said:

I remember my dad saying Where Eagles Dare is also a good war movie, though I've not seen it myself.

that is a good movie. so is guns of the navarrone. black hawk down and saving private ryan were great. full metal jacket and apocalypse now are awesome. how about braveheart. there were kickass battle scenes in that movie. seeing a crowd of infantry clashing, steel rending flesh and breaking bones, the dead lying in bloody piles waiting to be taken to their families or eaten by scavengers. ahhh. such fun.

I can't see a single reason why anyone could think than BHD or FMJ are better than SPR. I mean, SPR had a story, 100% perfect acting, and 100% perfect realism. I mean, no two ways about it, there is no way for a war movie to possibly be more realistic than SPR.

The Guns Of Naverone was pretty good, but I was thrown off by the person being shoved of a cliff, and then seeing a motionless dummy drop. That was a little too cheap.

Ct_red_pants:
Stalinguard (possibly spelt wrong) It’s in German. About the battle of Stalinguard (surprise surprise!)

Wow, you`ve seen Stalingrad! I always wanted to see that, but the video stores around here don`t seem to have it :(
Historically speaking Stalingrad (1942-1943) was a major (if not THE) turningpoint in the Second World War. It was the first time the Germans suffered great defeat...
respect to the Red Army...

Still, nothing or no one beats Gandhi!

AndrewB: Full Metal Jacket is so cool because it is so insane. Come on, where else would you hear people say things like "When we get back home, there won't be anybody fit to kill!"

I haven't seen many war movies. In fact, all i can remember i have seen were Full Metal Jacket and Das Boot. They were quite good, though I can't remember much of them.

AndrewB said:
I mean, no two ways about it, there is no way for a war movie to possibly be more realistic than SPR.

Well, unlike Saving private Ryan, Stalingrad showed how shithouse it was for both sides or the conflict (Russian and German in this case), on top of which, It showed how easily somebody can demoralized in the middle of a war zone.

If Saving private Ryan was a bucket of clod water for how bad war really is, then Stalingrad is like a bucket of ICE water, followed be a slap to the face.

That’s not to say that Saving private Ryan wasn’t a fucking good movie, and a fairly good representation of world war two, it’s just Stalingrad is even more realistic.

Makes me wanna see it even more!

Here`s something I found on the web:

"For all Churchill's attempts to present El Alamein as the turning point of the war, before which there were no victories and after which no defeats, it was in fact the battle of Stalingrad which marked the true watershed. As Beevor points out, it was in the street-fighting there, and the unbelievably dogged resistance shown by the ordinary Russian soldier, that the myth of Nazi invincibility died. In a savage war of attrition, Germany simply could not afford the half-million men who were killed, wounded or captured there.
Superlatives are unavoidable when dealing with Stalingrad; it was the struggle of Gog and Magog, the merciless, Manichaean clash where the rules of war were discarded. Merely staying alive in the frostbitten winter of 1942-3 was an achievement, but the two vast armies fought each other hand-to-hand from house to house throughout it, with a desperation and on a scale never before seen in the annals of warfare...

...The Stalingrad story is biblical in its extremes of barbarism and heroism."