Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TootsyBowl

Your standards when it comes to necroposting

How old, or how much time has passed after the last post, does a thread have to be before you consider a new post a necrobump?

Besides obvious stuff like people bumping decade+ old threads. (Has that happened before?)

7 minutes ago, TootsyBowl said:

Besides obvious stuff like people bumping decade+ old threads. (Has that happened before?)

It actually happened today. But I'd say anything that's no longer relevant and pretty much all conversation on the topic has been said, that's the point a thread dies and should stay dead. Usually that happens around the time it goes to the second page of the subforum.

Necroposting is always okay. I the new post is meaningful, it makes sense to continue an old thread instead of starting a new one about the same topic that will get 90% identical replies. If the post is not meaningful, it is still fun to read an ancient topic where you don't even recognize a lot of the posters. Mods who punish for this are extreme nerds.

I see nothing wrong with necrothreading when it's something that comes up when searching for advice.  

Often I'll be looking for how to do something mapping related, and will discover multiple Doomworld topics about the exact same thing spread over a few years, each with different advice.  If people had necrothreaded instead of creating brand new threads, it'd be much easier to research through.

I don't care about necroposting if there's a point; someone bumping a 10+ year old thread about the differences between the Hell knights and Barons with a post talking about how they want to know if anyone has SNES roms, then it's completely pointless.

What I really don't like is when a community gets pissy about necroposting, but then also get mad at you for making a new thread and then reverting you to a previous thread about a similar topic. You can't have both rules.

This has always been odd to me. So many forums have stated that it's better to post in an existing thread of a similar/identical topic than to start a new one. So I think this differs from forum to forum.

However, most of the necrobumps I've seen in forums consist of newbies posting "me too lol!" or something equally as useless. So, I guess the real problem is newbies not reading the rules and shitposting.

Necroposting on old topics tends to get me- "Oh god you mean there might be some progress on thi- oh wait no...no it's just somebody else asking if the project is dead....after years of nothing..."

In my opinion, these old 5-10 and more years old threads should be locked and will prevent newbies for resurrecting old stuff.

10 minutes ago, FuzzballFox said:

"Oh god you mean there might be some progress on thi- oh wait no...no it's just somebody else asking if the project is dead....after years of nothing..."

Internal screaming

Thread bumping is bad when someone reads a 5 year old thread, doesn't know / care that the last post was 5 years old, and makes some inane comment on it, making everyone else confused at where the hell this thread suddenly came from before they realize, oh, it's from 2012.

Thread bumping is fine when someone has an update or new information related to the topic at hand.

necropost.JPG.2e20fa102d8636626b9ee5ba7bae0bbd.JPG

I AM BATTLE_KIRBY FROM THE FAR FUTURE

In the next 10 years, someone, whos name I must not say (in order to preserve time & sppace continuum) told me to wait till the Year Of Our Lord 2047 to remind you how necroposts might be annoying. At least in future Doomworld, any reply to a post older than a day issues a ban because... well it is HERESY

This itself makes me want to scratch my brain with my sentient back scratcher. This sensation is driving me nuts.

Here is something I can drop though:

EVERYONE WHO HASN'T MOVED TO NOVA TERRA 5 AND REMAINED ON EARTH IS DEAD!

*zaps back into the future*

I wonder what people did in the 6th second of the 6th minute of the 6th hour of 13/04/666

(4 brings bad luck in japan)

7 minutes ago, SOSU said:

(4 brings bad luck in japan)

Isn't that China?

Just now, NeedHealth said:

I remember when I read on the internet that it was 2011/11/11. It was cool.

not as cool as in 11/11/1111

"Southern Europeans and Southern Asians: black rats mean bad luck. However, white rats mean good luck."
I am a southern european (if italy and greece are then i am too :D) and i never knew about this.

"Opening an umbrella indoors"
My family always annoys me with this in autumm

Edited by SOSU

It's fine, if it adds something to the discussion. If you cared enough to dig and find something about that, chances are someone else will.

5 hours ago, SavageCorona said:

It actually happened today. But I'd say anything that's no longer relevant and pretty much all conversation on the topic has been said, that's the point a thread dies and should stay dead. Usually that happens around the time it goes to the second page of the subforum.

Kinda related, when Martin came out of the dead here I had a nice chuckle.

Well memed.

1 hour ago, SOSU said:

"Opening an umbrella indoors"

My mum leaves them open in the bathroom to dry them off lmao

If it's OP with a project update, I don't mind it so much.  Any other time, and it's a little annoying.

On 8/9/2017 at 9:28 PM, Memfis said:

Necroposting is always okay

in the Doom Speed Demos subforum. Fact of the Day brought to you by memfis!