Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Adahn

Doombuilder losing save progress

Question

Hi all, I'm having this problem where I work for hours in doom builder, only to come back later and find that 1-2 hours of work has not been saved. This is the second time this has happened and I have no idea what is causing it, I save my work very often. Most of the time I am pressing ctrl+s every minute just for safe measure. Any idea what could be causing this to happen? A large portion of my map is now gone, and I have no way to recover it except build it from scratch again. Could slade have anything to do with it? I often have slade and doombuilder open at the same time. Any help would be appreciated, thank you

7 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Jthom said:

Could slade have anything to do with it? I often have slade and doombuilder open at the same time.

Yes, this is it. If you have the same wad open in both programs and you save the wad in one program, this program will overwrite any changes done by the other program. SLADE3 has a feature "Open map in Doom Builder" - if you open the wad in SLADE3 first and use this feature to open it with Doom Builder, then it will be safe to edit the wad in both programs.

@scifista42 Ah I see. I suspected slade had something to do with it. Thx for the help, luckily most of those 2 hrs were spent learning how to use a part of doombuilder, so I dont think I lost too much time. Thx a ton!

Best rule to follow is to just make sure you never have the same file open in two different programs at the same time.

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

Best rule to follow is to just make sure you never have the same file open in two different programs at the same time.

As a general rule, quite so.

However, in the case of Slade 3 it is safe to open the map in another editor with

http://FKl1DyA.png

As soon as you click on it, all MAPxx namespace lumps turn red, to indicate that they are locked.

Then do your changes in the other editor and save. When the editor is closed, then the MAPxx

namespace lumps turn green, indicating that changes have been made. Then save the pwad.

At present, I have Slade 3 open GZDB-BF when I go that route. It is quite safe to do.

7 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

As soon as you click on it, all MAPxx namespace lumps turn red, to indicate that they are locked.

Then do your changes in the other editor and save. When the editor is closed, then the MAPxx

namespace lumps turn green, indicating that changes have been made. Then save the pwad.

At present, I have Slade 3 open GZDB-BF when I go that route. It is quite safe to do.

Does this method preserve the map lumps locations? Or does it still move all of them to the bottom of the WAD?

3 hours ago, Nevander said:

Does this method preserve the map lumps locations? Or does it still move all of them to the bottom of the WAD?

I think the latest GZDB always preserves lump locations, it's only DB2 that doesn't. But why does this matter to you? Saving lumps to the bottom of a wad improves saving performance and never does any harm by itself.