Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cybermind

RDC Speedmapping Contest #19 - Results

ZIP archive with contestants' works: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s21g7wexz3tf450/spd19.zip?dl=0

Results:

Voting stage:

Spoiler

Speedmapping theme:

Overall setting: Hell

Technical limitation: Outdoor map (F_SKY1 and skyboxes should fill at least 1/2 of map)

Gameplay feature: Max. 100 extra health on map, no armor (say, 1 Soulsphere or 4 Medikits). Healing via source port features is also taken into account.

There are 14 works (spd19p01 - spd19p14) + 1 work out of contest (spd19p15).

List of map formats and ports used for testing purposes:

Spoiler

1. Boom (prboom+ -complevel 9)
2. Boom (prboom+ -complevel 9)
3. Boom (prboom+ -complevel 9)
4. Vanilla Doom
5. Boom (prboom+ -complevel 9)
6. Boom (prboom+ -complevel 9)
7. Limit Removing (prboom+ -complevel 2)
8. Boom (prboom+ -complevel 9)
9. ZDoom UDMF (ZDoom 2.8.1)
10. ZDoom UDMF (GZDoom 2.2.0)
11. ZDoom UDMF (GZDoom 1.8.0)
12. ZDoom UDMF (GZDoom 2.4.0)
13. ZDoom UDMF (GZDoom 2.4.0)
14. ZDoom in Doom (Zdoom 2.8.1 )
-----------------(out of contest)-----------------
15. Boom (prboom+ -complevel 9)

You should give each map 1 score from 0 to 10 (you may not score maps that are out of contest), which should include theme compliance score (so a good map shouldn't get high score if it doesn't comply to theme). Please leave some comments about each map (scores without comments will be ignored).

The voting stage will last for 2 weeks.

Have a nice play!

Topic on RDC forums: http://i.iddqd.ru/viewtopic.php?t=1349

Old post:

Spoiler

We're holding 19th speedmapping contest on RDC forums. This one is essential, because it'll be our first multi-format speedmapping session.

The contest starts at August 13th, 12:00 UTC.

Speedmapping rules:

Spoiler

1. Allowed map formats: Vanilla Doom/Limit Removing, Boom/MBF, ZDoom in Doom/Hexen, ZDoom UDMF, Eternity (+UDMF)
You are allowed to use any port that supports one of the aforementioned formats (say, ZDoom UDMF + GZDoom as port)

2. You are allowed to use your own texture pack and choose a music (the port you've picked should support the format of music).
You're even allowed to use hi-res textures if you're using GLBoom+ or ZDoom-based ports and use ZScript/DECORATE in ZDoom-based ports.
(!) Size limit - your PWAD (PK3) compressed with ZIP (DEFLATE) should not exceed 7 MB limit.

(!) Lump size limits (specified below)

3. You should create one map based on specified theme (which will be unveiled at the moment contest starts)
IWAD - doom2.wad

The theme consists of 3 essential parts:
1) overall setting (you should prepare your texture pack for one of those)
2) technical limitations (like max num. of sectors)
3) gameplay-specific (some interesting feature of map)
There are 12 items of each theme part available (see below)

When contest starts, I'll roll a 3d12 dice that will select each part of the theme, and all contestants should make a map based on that "сomplex" theme.

Theme list:

Spoiler

Overall setting list:

1) Nature
2) Hell
3) City
4) Boss level (not necessary a map with an Icon of Sin within it, you could map a slaughtermap or some difficult level)
5) Winter
6) Surrealism
7) Space
8) Ancient civilization (stuff like Epic 2 Egypt maps)
9) Water (other liquids are allowed too)
10) "Сinematization" of some piece of art (like map based on Star Wars, your favorite book, picture, you name it) (but don't forget to specify the original work when you will send your work to me)
11) Base
12) No limitations

Technical limitations list:

1) Outdoor map (F_SKY1 and skyboxes should fill at least 1/2 of map)
2) Damaging floors (they should fill at least 1/5 of map's playable location)
3) 3 dominant color shades ("killer colors", applied to textures, flats and decorations on map)
4) 4096x4096 (all stuff on map should be inside a square with such dimensions)
5) Lifts and elevators (Boom) are forbidden (imitate them by means of other actions if you want)
6) Max. 2000 linedefs
7) Power-ups are forbidden (except berserk and powerups based on PowerStrength)
8) Hitscan monsters are forbidden (former human, sergeant, commando, SS Nazi, Spider Mastermind and other custom monsters with hitscan attack). Hitscan weapons are allowed.
9) Teleports (including silent and via scripts) and spawning new monsters (including IoS Monster Spawner and spawn via source port features) are forbidden. Pain elementals are allowed.
10) Doors (except locked doors) are forbidden (imitate them by means of other actions if you want)
11) Top 2D level projection should resemble some complex object (to exclude simple shapes like crosses)
12) No limitations

Gameplay-specific stuff list:

1) Introduce a sudden trap on map (how much sudden - relies on mapper)
2) Give BFG (or some other custom weapon of mass destruction) on final battle.
3) Introduce at least 1 good berserk fight on map.
4) Introduce some contrast lighting (use both light and dark sectors in one location, the quality relies on mapper)
5) Max. 100 extra health on map, no armor (say, 1 Soulsphere or 4 Medikits). Healing via source port features is also taken into account.
6) All keys on map (3 keycards + 3 skulls, even for Vanilla/LR)
7) Crushers on playable part of map (the quantity and positioning relies on mapper)
8) Stairs on map (the quantity and positioning relies on mapper)
9) Introduce at least 1 arena fight on map.
10) Non-linear map (at least 3 ways to beat the map)
11) Introduce a puzzle in your level
12) No limitations

4. Structure of your work: you're required to have one map based on chosen map format (i.e lumps MAP01-THINGS-... for classic and Eternity formats). ZDoom-based formats add BEHAVIOR and SCRIPTS, and for UDMF format the structure is MAP01-TEXTMAP-...-ENDMAP.

All other lumps are allowed (except extra maps), with these limitations applied:

• Max. size of all ACS objects (BEHAVIOR lump and ACS libraries loaded via LOADACS) combined - 8192 bytes (for convenience, 8.00kb in Slade 3)
  • Max. size of all ZScript, DECORATE, EDF, Small, Aeon (in Eternity), DEHACKED, Fraggle Script lumps combined - 32768 bytes (for convenience, 32.00kb in Slade 3)
  • PWAD (PK3) size limit (specified above).

5. You should pack your work in PWAD (compress it with ZIP (DEFLATE)) or PK3 (DEFLATE) and send it via PM or on my e-mail (iddqd_mail(_at_)mail(_dot_)ru) (DON'T post it in public! The contestants should remain anonymous until voting stage finishes)

(!) When submitting map you must specify the map format you've chosen, the source port (with version) you've used for testing purposes.

If you submit it to e-mail, post also your forums nickname.

And in case of overall setting 10 ("Сinematization" of some piece of art), don't forget to specify the original work.

6. You will have 4 hours for mapping and 10 minutes for file operations. Exceeding that limit will give you a penalty (-1 score from each voting score for every 5 minutes, rounding up). If you're late for more than 30 minutes, your work goes out of contest.

7. After that I'll compile all works in one pack, and all users are allowed to vote for each map, giving it a score from 0 to 10 (which includes theme compliance score)

You're welcome to participate!

Edited by cybermind

So far no people willing to participate ... quite sad.

(!) IMPORTANT: I've made some changes to rules:

- now works won't be compiled in one PWAD but instead I'll pack them in one archive as individual maps.

- because of that, I've removed the list with allowed lumps (now it's possible to use ZScript and DECORATE)

The only limitations are size limits (more info in 1st post)

- because of 1, I've removed texture naming convention (sorry if anyone have already renamed their textures)

- and PK3s are now allowed

This is pretty amazing, too bad I can't participate since i'm without a pc now...

However Good luck with the project! 

12 hours ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Maybe setup discord server for this event? It's just a suggestion.

Thanks, but no, I must organize this event on 2 forums and I'll have no time for that when contest starts.

(!) I've updated theme list, the technical limitations are now less restrictive.

Might give it a go. :) The ability to use DECORATE is an interesting little quirk, might be tempted to crack open ZDoom and do some UDMF mapping for once.

(!) It's less than 24 hours before contest starts. Therefore, I recommend to contestants to re-read the rules and ask any questions if they have some (I've made some small edits to rules and theme list to clarify things better)

Are ZDoom maps allowed to use custom DECORATE entities, like monsters or props? I can't recall if that was mentioned in the OP.

9 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Are ZDoom maps allowed to use custom DECORATE entities, like monsters or props? I can't recall if that was mentioned in the OP.

Yes, I said about that in paragraph 4:

All other lumps are allowed (except extra maps), with these limitations applied:

Max. size of all ACS objects (BEHAVIOR lump and ACS libraries loaded via LOADACS) combined - 8192 bytes (for convenience, 8.00kb in Slade 3)

Max. size of all ZScript, DECORATE, EDF, Small, Aeon (in Eternity), DEHACKED, Fraggle Script lumps combined - 32768 bytes (for convenience, 32.00kb in Slade 3)

PWAD (PK3) size limit (specified above).

Just now, gaspe said:

What about the names for the custom textures?

I removed the naming convention (because previously it was needed to complie all works in one PWAD and I decided not to compile all works and give authors some freedom) so you're free to name them whatever you like.

Gonna try to participate this since its been a while since I've done any sort of speedmapping sessions since 32in24-15.

A recent addition to speedmapping sessions that has been really popular and positive on participation numbers is having two sessions in one day.

This alleviates the problems of time zones and increases chances of people being available in general.

emrx8EZ.png

Mapping theme:

(overall setting) Hell

+

(technical limitation) Outdoor map (F_SKY1 and skyboxes should fill at least 1/2 of map)

+

(gameplay feature) Max. 100 extra health on map, no armor (say, 1 Soulsphere or 4 Medikits). Healing via source port features is also taken into account.

You have 4 hours 10 minutes for your work, don't be late or you'll get penalty/go out of contest.

Submit your works via PM, or to email iddqd_mail(at)mail(dot)ru (Don't post them in public!)

(!) When submitting map you must specify the map format you've chosen, the source port (with version) you've used for testing purposes and in case you will submit your work to email, your forum nickname.

Don't forget about size limit for work in ZIP (7 MB) and lump size limits (specified in 1st post)

First post updated, download link added.

You should give each map 1 score from 0 to 10 (you may not score maps that are out of contest), which should include theme compliance score (so a good map shouldn't get high score if it doesn't comply to theme). Please leave some comments about each map (scores without comments will be ignored). Authors are not allowed to reveal their works before voting stage ends.

The voting stage will last for 2 weeks.

Have a nice play!

Here are my votes on each map :)

1. Feels like something TimeofDeath or gggmork would make. Unfortunately mapper didn't follow the hell theme because of its variety but I will give him/her credit for what the 3rd room is suppose to resemble. 3/10

2. Fun ok map that stick with the theme pretty good despite its simplicity. 6/10 

3. Some pretty fun encounters in this neat Gothic hell theme map. 8/10

4. A good hell theme mixed of brick & marble although some of the hallways were too cramp gameplay wise. 8/10

5. Fun Tyson map with some good details but unfortunately didn't follow the "Max. 100 extra health & no armor on map" rule for this session. 7/10

6. A decent mix of hell & Doom 2's city theme which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Gameplay is ok for what it is. 6/10

7. Pretty cool Hell castle map 8/10

8. Really want to give this gigantic hell city map a full ten but the gameplay department is lacking in roughly half the map to me. 9/10

9. Pretty cool surreal hellish level with a ok use of 3D floors. Only part that I didn't like was the precise invisible hole at the red skull key area that Memphis pointed out to me which force me to change my low score from 1 to 7 -_-; 7/10 

10. A very cool Egyptian hell theme map thats starts slow but gameplay picks up really fast once you grab the first key. 9/10

11. Cool gothic map but its a liitle bit on the easy side compare to the others. 7/10

12. boring flat map with a cool hell fire sky which can easily be beaten without killing any of the monsters because of its lazy design . 4/10 

13. Mapper didn't test this properly because you can open the "locked" door without the yellow skull key & lift is broken to where the only way I could proceed is to used the fly cheat. 1/10

14. This map could have been better to be honest 5/10

15. Easy Tyson map with a cool start. 

Edited by Philnemba : Changing vote for #9

3 hours ago, Memfis said:

Hey @Philnemba. It is in fact possible to get out of that area on Map09. It's a bit hard to notice but there is a hole you can fall through: http://i.imgur.com/uZ9JkKu.png So you might want to change your vote based on that. :)

Vote change & thanks for pointing this out to me -_-;

Finally I managed to play the maps, I must say that this session was a good one and I think that allowing to choose also (G)ZDoom formats was a good idea since some mappers came up with some interesting stuff. Here are my votes:

MAP01: Seemingly interesting from the start, but it's quite silly actually. Gets some points for the automap view, the very eastern section was lame to play. 3/10
MAP02: At least you can skip easily the monsters in the starting path, while the last part requires some tedious exercise to exit. Boring gameplay and the visuals don't make up for it. 3/10
MAP03: It's lacking in the visuals but the gameplay was there. Good idea for the rocket launcher fight with the big horde of imps, combined with the damaging floor and the restriction of the session. 7/10
MAP04: Not sure if it followed the rule, but it was a cool level overall. Nice mood and relaxing gameplay that still requires your attention. 9/10
MAP05: Not sure if even this one followed the restriction. Well detailed, though at the cost of having some interesting combats. 5/10
MAP06: Quite simple level overall but with some cute ideas. 6/10
MAP07: A very well structured map on the whole. Simple yet elegant look, and fun to play. 9/10

MAP08: Gameplay is rather lacking but the visuals are stunning and this is certainly an impressive work. 9/10  
MAP09: Well made and nice use of ZDoom stuff, the custom enemies were particularly annoying combined with the health restriction though. 7/10
MAP10: A more ambitious ZDoom level, and the author knows his stuff. Only remark is that the gameplay was a bit on the slog side. 9/10
MAP11: It's allright, even if a bit neglected. I must say that I found it rather unsettling which is a good thing for a hellish level. 7/10
MAP12: I didn't even shoot here. Nice showcase of effects without any substance. 5/10
MAP13: It wasn't tested well I guess, some missing textures and the lift is a bit broken. For the rest is something not really bad nor good. 4/10
MAP14: After the psychedelic stuff at the start the map turns into a bland and generic hellish level. 3/10
MAP15: Tbh I don't know what to say.