Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Doom: Gore Prisons

doomgoreprisonsthread.jpg

Gore Prisons is an anagram for progression, which fits the theme of this mapset.

I want to create a seventeen map wad that follows the following rules for each map:

Management

Tracer will be leading this project from Doomer.Boards, and Czechmate29200 will be assisting Tracer with leadership at the idsoftworld forums.

The doomworld New Leader Caesar: nxGangGirl

Specifications

NON Limit removing.  

Format: In doombuilder...zdoom (doom in doom format)

Custom music: Yes

Texture Packs: cc4-tex.wad

Maps and Rules

Obviously, use a lot of gory decoration.  The more sadistic, the better.

Do not post your demo in the thread.  Find someone to playtest it for you privately.  I don't want these levels released in any manner publicly until it's done.  Doom II Redux had a problem with this...some people already pretty much played the whole wad before it was even released.  I will always be into playtesting your maps.

Please don't take too long on your map.  Again...Doom II Redux had a problem with this.  That wad took almost two years to complete and there is no valid reason for this.  So if you don't think you'll be done with your map in say...six months...it might be better to opt out of this project.  However, if you need an extension, contact me and I'll see your progress and determine whether or not an extension would be acceptable.  I'd like to have this done around Christmas/New Year.

Post screenshots.

No collaborations without prior approval.  Again...Doom II Redux encountered a lot of time consuming problems due to this.

I don't want to see any rocket launchers until Map03 (and keep the ammo rare to come by until Map07), no supershotguns until Map07, no Plasma Rifles until Map12, and no BFG until Map15 and it should be in a hard to reach area.

Earth maps need to take place on Earth (tech bases or outdoor cityscapes), Hellish Earth maps need to have those same elements with some Hell elements as well, and Hell maps need to be Hellscapes.

Map List and Map-Specific Rules

Earth Levels

Map 01: Zombiemen Only

Map 02: Zombiemen and Former Sergeants 

Map 03: All previous monsters and Chaingunners

Map 04: All previous monsters  and Imps (introduce RL)

Map 05: All previous monsters and Pinkies

Map 06: All previous monsters and Spectres

Hellish Earth Levels

Map 07: All previous monsters and Lost Souls (introduce SSG)

Map 08: All previous monsters and Cacodemons

Map 09: All previous monsters and Revenants

Map 10: All previous monsters and Hell Knights

Map 11: All previous monsters and Barons of Hell

Hell Levels

Map 12: All previous monsters and Mancubi (introduce Plasma Rifle)

Map 13: All previous monsters and Arachnotrons

Map 14: All previous monsters and Pain Elementals

Map 15: All previous monsters and one Archvile per key (introduce secret BFG)

Map 31: All previous monsters and one Spider Mastermind

Map 32: All previous monsters and one Cyberdemon

Mapslots

Second tier mappers: None right now

Map01 Guilty As Hell: Tracer

Map 02: nxGangGirl

Map 03: Plusw

Map 04: wheresthebeef

Map 05: Walter confetti

Map 06: Mikami41

Map 07 The Eternal Screams of Fallen Foes: Tracer 

Map 08: mrthejoshmon

Map 09: OPEN

Map 10: nxGangGirl

Map 11: Eradrop

Map 12 Finding the Source: Tracer

Map 13: danielhday

Map 14: Czechmate29200

Map 15: UAC-Janitor

Map 31: The Mysterious Moustachio

Map 32: Quantum Dranger

Edited by Tracer

Maybe for Map 20 you could do a normal DOOM map with monster spawners. And a big Icon Of Sin Texture laughing at the player before it starts spawning.

I think the exceptional rules for certain arbitrary maps needlessly complicate the rules. Consider making this a set of only 17 maps (as the total number of monster types in Doom 2) for the sake of clarity and clean-ness. In fact, the secret exits would allow an optimal 17 map set: First 15 maps, then exit to map 31 as the next-to-last map, then exit to map 32 as the final map. Bonus points for being able to have a different sky for the final 2 maps than the previous maps close to the end.

Edited by scifista42

22 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

Do you have any mapping work done on this to show yet?

If I did, it would have been included in the original post.

28 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

I think the exceptional rules for certain arbitrary maps needlessly complicate the rules. Consider making this a set of only 17 maps (as the total number of monster types in Doom 2) for the sake of clarity and clean-ness. In fact, the secret exits would allow an optimal 17 map set: First 15 maps, then exit to map 31 as the next-to-last map, then exit to map 32 as the final map. Bonus points for being able to have a different sky for the final 2 maps than the previous maps close to the end.

Seventeen was my original idea.

But I had a special text screen in mind for Map 07 and Map 12 that would have this all make more sense.

However, I love your idea for the final two maps and will be implementing that idea!

Note that in limit-removing compatibility, going to MAP31 is only possible from MAP15, not from any other map. That's why I suggested it in combination with 17 maps - it's a perfect fit to the range of 15 regular + 2 secret maps. Any more maps, and they don't fit the range anymore.

Edited by scifista42

Nice idea, can I join it? (against any good sense since I have million other projects to start at least one map for them)

Anyway, I like to claim MAP05...

8 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

Note that in limit-removing compatibility, going to MAP31 is only possible from MAP15, not from any other map.

That is good to know.  Thanks man.  Changing it to a seventeen map wad.

Alright, sign me in :) 

I have a good idea on MAP06, hope i could take it.

Edited by Mikami41

What comp level: Boom? Limit-Removing?

Also i kinda wanna see a barrels and hitscanners map; maybe I'll make a map, though I don't want to claim a slot quite yet.

Also, introducing chaingunners before imps seems weird to me at first, but i guess having the first 3 maps being hitscanner only might be interesting.

19 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

introducing chaingunners before imps seems weird to me at first,

I can say the same about introducing (Hell Knights + Barons of Hell + Arachnotrons + Mancubi) before Revenants.

@scifista42, I trust your judgment.  How would you order the bestiary?  My only condition is that the first three maps remain in the order they are in, and the last two remain in the order that they are in.

Edited by Tracer

Firstly, let me tell you that reassigning monsters between mapslots after people have already claimed mapslots is a problem. These people might or might not want their mapslots specifically for the monsters that were originally assigned to them. Whether you reassign people to different mapslots that now correspond to their originally chosen monsters, or keep them assigned to their originally chosen mapslots that now correspond to different monsters, there's a chance you will disappoint someone. For this reason alone, it might be better to avoid reassigning monsters at all. If you resort to it anyway, I strongly recommend to consult it with every affected mapper (whose monster and/or mapslot changes during the process) and let them choose whether they want to keep their monster or keep their slot. There's a risk that if some of them would prefer the former and some of them the latter, then you won't be able to satisfy everyone no matter what you do.

Now, in spite of the paragraph above, I'll say what would have been my preferred order (if I could have chosen it before the project started and before anyone claimed any mapslots): I'd definitely put Revenants before Arachnotrons and Mancubi. I'm unsure whether to put them before Hell Knights and Barons too - on one hand, they are more fragile than Hell Knights, on the other hand, their threat is higher, and they thematically fit to Arachnotrons and Mancubi, so introducing them near each other would make sense. I also reluctantly consider putting Pain Elementals earlier, either after Cacodemons or after Barons, but they may as well stay where they are now - after all, their best usage is as support to other challenging monsters, for which these other monster need to be introduced before them, and they also somewhat thematically fit to Archviles, as they're both style-wise organic/non-cybernetic and gameplay-wise gimmicky. Otherwise, I think your ordering is good.

Damn, those are all good points.  

@nxGangGirl, @CzechMate29200, @Plusw, @danielhday, @MrGlide, @Jaws In Space, @Mikami41, @Walter confetti, like this post if you're okay with Scifista's recommendation of rearranging the monsters.  If you're indifferent or opposed, quote this post and let me know.

Note:  If at least two mappers are opposed, we're sticking with it the way it is now.

Edited by Tracer

Wait so map15 is going to be part of the normal progression of maps? Kinda like Hell to Pay? And map32 will be the final map?

I'd love to join this, but I'm already in four other projects, three of which I haven't even started on yet (they should end up being fairly small maps however). It looks like the slots are filling up fast though, so I'll try to make a decision on this fast. Looks like a great project either way, though.