Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Major Grit

DOOM on N64

expect a rant and a HUGE ass flame from elby. youre in for it now....

Hmm... not exactly a flame, you know me better than that. :P

Yes, I own the game, since the day it came out. I played though it multiple times, on every difficulty, and know the game inside and out. I don't quite play it as much as PSX Doom, but damn close.

My opinion of Doom 64 is that it improves on the original in just about every way. Opinions on the enemies is each to their own.

I personally love them all, ESPECIALLY the Cacodemon. I will defend Hissy 64 to the end! :P The only one I'd change is the shotgun guy. It looks too much like the zombieman, especially with colored lighting all over the place. But, opinions on what looks better will differ. I personally hate all of the MD2 models on the net for Doom, yet some refuse to play without them.

The sound, kick ass. The bass-heavy and squishier PSX Doom sounds are back in better quality. The music, again, is an opinion thing. I like the variety of the PSX Doom music better, but the darker atmosphere requires darker music for sure, and IMO the music fits the game perfectly.

The graphics are SO much better. The textures have a gothic and darker look to them, and just adds to the atmosphere. And it's in beautiful hi-res, and you can't argue with that. My only problem is the mipmapping, which all N64 games have, but you get used to it.

And the levels are some of the best levels I've seen. Much more atmospheric than any of the original PC levels, with more cunning traps. Some levels like Pitfalls and Burnt Offerings deserve to be shot and pissed on, and shot again, but 90% of the levels are unparalelled, except in some megawads. I can't in good conscience say that the original PC levels come close to the Doom 64 levels. And calling them as bad as Quake levels is pretty exageratted. However, Quake had much more atmosphere than Doom could ever dish out, it's just that half of the levels suck.

The only problem with the game is the control. The digital control turns half as slow as all other versions of Doom. It's ok if you get used to the control stick. Granted, it's not mouse control, but it's great when you get used to it. Also, the N64 controller is the worst controller ever made. I prefer playing it emulated with a PSX Dual Shock controller myself. :)

Of course, each to their own. I love the game, but it took me a while. I bought it first, loved it, bought PSX Doom, played that more because of the better control, and went back to Doom 64. The game grows on you. I remember when I first came to Doomworld. Nearly everyone hated the game. Now, people are seeing the light, and since the game isn't so new anymore, and a classic, people are coming around.

Now I go to bed so I can work for another 10 hour day tomorrow. :P

PS - If you want to see me flame, mention that you like Goldeneye. Go ahead, I DARE YOU. :)

dsm said:

Curiosity cannot be concealed: Why? The sprites? The controls? The feel? What?

1) It is nothing like the original doom.
2) I found the gameplay quite a lot more boring than in the original.
3) I hate playing FPS'es with a gamepad. Especially the gay N64 controllers...
4) The guns and enemies looked stupid (which also adds to point 1)

I can see why others like it, but yeah, it's just not up my alley :P

elbryan42 said:

PS - If you want to see me flame, mention that you like Goldeneye. Go ahead, I DARE YOU. :)

Heh, I also hated goldeneye.

Theres nothing wrong with Golden Eye, I play it when ever i get the chance to, its fun to shoot guys and watch the guns pile up and other jazz :D...and by all means, flame on >:D

SlayeR said:

Dsm said:

I thought elbryan said that, not Dsm.

*sigh* there seems to be an annoying cult of doomworlders that hate Goldeneye, Doom II, all three Quake games, and half-life. They all hate different games for different resions. I wouldn't care so much if they didn't shove it in my face every time one of these games are motioned. Lots people like wrestling, yet I don't type paragraphs of crap about how stupid I think you are for liking it do I?

bigbadgangsta said:

I loved Goldeneye DM. Yeah, now, gimme your best shot, DSM. I DARE YOU >:)

Hm, Elbryan42 was the one to say that he dared "you" to say that "you" love Goldeneye but oh well, I guess I'd do elby a favour here.
*Kicks BBG hard in the nuts whith army boots on
>;-]

*sigh* there seems to be an annoying cult of doomworlders that hate Goldeneye, Doom II, all three Quake games, and half-life. They all hate different games for different resions. I wouldn't care so much if they didn't shove it in my face every time one of these games are motioned. Lots people like wrestling, yet I don't type paragraphs of crap about how stupid I think you are for liking it do I?

I think you're exaggerating - I haven't seen a single doomworlder who hates EVERYTHING different from Doom.
Myself, I dislike Quake 1 for its twisted likelihood to Doom, its music, most of its pea shooter weapons and its brown colours.
I dislike Q3A for its simple mp only gameplay (that goes for UT as well)
And I don't dislike Half Life, but I think it was ripped off of Doom (which I'm not too happy with) and I think it's overrated. I prefer Opposing Force though.

I played N64 Doom, it was cool. I like the nightmare imps, they rock. The only problem is that the N64 controller is just a bit akward for Doom, it takes a while to get used to.

Well if it's the control than why don't you just change the controls like I do. But I still agree the N64 controller sucks.

one of my favourite games. and because I have no computer, it was the only doom I could play. I found the controls to be very good.
The redone sprites are well done, but after playing doom pc again, I realized what the problem is with the colours of the shotgun and zombie men are. I don't like the PC arachnatrons, but the N64 version is cool. same with pain elements. I found that most of the PC sprites seemed happy to some extent.

I liked the changes to the weapons, although it was just graphic wise. except for the strength of the plasma gun, but the annoying firing sound was replaced with the annoying buzzing sound. but it is cool to be in a dark room and see the glow of the tube. The shaking of the screen when firing the chaingun, SSG, and rocket launcher added to the effect of the weapon. And the laser with three artifacts could kick anythings ass. if you went through the trouble to get them (on watch me die, it could be a little bit tricky).

The music is much different then the upbeat MIDI's of the PC versions. The ambience and 3d sounds adds an atmosphere to the game, expecially if playing at night alone with no lights, and in stereo sound. It was another thing that made it seem like the monster's were more serious. And the sounds of thunder made some levels cool.

The level design was well done. Although some levels had a similar feeling, diversity was still there. My only objection to the levels is there was no large outdoor levels like mt. erebus. You would always be in one building/temple. "the void" was outdoors, but still confined.

Yes, the lost souls are quite aggresive. and if one gets behind you on the harder difficulty levels, you are dead. reason for the pain elements being the most feared monster, especially in the large open area of the void when several warp in at different locations. I have practically memorized the game. I have played through it on every difficulty level. "watch me die" several times.

The one thing that would have made it complete for me would have been map editing. I prefer single player mode, than multiplayer modes in games. which is why I don't like Quake 3. but a multiplayer mode would have added some variation to it.

I hope I go home for christmas so I can get it and play it..

i think Playstation DooM is the greatest console port of all time (the most accurate, anyway) DooM 64 is a great game still... it has it's own unique appeal but keeps the DooMish atmosphere

The PSX version is hardly accurate. The levels are different, different textures, missing enemies, simplified and slower revenant, new sounds, new music. If you want to see a really accurate console port of Doom, there'e SNES Doom or the awesome, new Doom 2 for the GBA.

Doom64 is fucking ruleage, it was the first doom I ever played and I loved it, and I still do.

heh, elby, UPDATE THE SITE WITH PROGRESS YOU FRAD :D

Working 10 hours a day doesn't leave me much time with my webpage(s). Once I update the Doom Depot (with smaller music wads and GBA Doom 2 music mainly), I have to FINALLY finish the Castlevania Treasury. The Depot will be updated tonite unless I'm going out. Hey, it's cheap Tuesday at the movies and pasta Tuesday at Boston Pizza... :P

Oh well... back to work.

elbryan- just a question, for the Doom 64 TC, will you increase the number of sprite animations so that the monsters no longer appear like they are walking on the spot, or is that out of the question?

SNES DooM is accurate but slow as fuck... and there is no save/password feature! weak! still a good port for it's time, and if you overlook the minor changes in the PSX version i still think it's the best

Livo said:

elbryan- just a question, for the Doom 64 TC, will you increase the number of sprite animations so that the monsters no longer appear like they are walking on the spot, or is that out of the question?

Hmm... I don't really understand. We plan on making it as much as Doom 64 as possible though... No new sprites, sorry. Although we'll be adding some extras. :P

I just hope you get done with it before Doom 3's release :-P

I'm a huge fan of both the PS Dooms and Doom 64. All were done by the same programmers and level designers anyway. I've been speaking with the lead programmer Aaron Seeler about the console Dooms he worked on. He told me of a little secret on Club Doom I never knew about. If you use the map lines cheat and go into map mode, you can scroll the screen all the way down and to the right to see the letters "WDT JRS" written in line segments. I asked him what they stood for and he said it was the first initial of each of the QA team members.

He says Goldeneye kicked the crap out of his Doom 64 on the market due to the multiplayer mode and regrets not having it in Doom 64. They were DM purists at the time and thought it was silly to have split screen DM.

Anyway, I noticed someone mentioned "Hectic" stage on Doom 64 as being impossible. Not true!! Not only is it possible, but I did it in 38 seconds, starting with default pistol/no armor on "Watch Me Die!" mode. This was actually the world record for over a year now, but my main rival Martin Bedard just beat me by 2 seconds yesterday. I do plan on at least matching it back up in the future.

elbryan42 said:

Hmm... I don't really understand. We plan on making it as much as Doom 64 as possible though... No new sprites, sorry. Although we'll be adding some extras. :P

No new sprites? I thought that several Doom 64 sprites were nearly complete, unless you've recently decided not to include the Doom 64 sprites at all now (if that's the case, then that's news to me).

Livo, are you talking about something like model interpolation (where extra animation frames are created by the computer to make the model's movement look more natural instead of jerky and slideshowish) or idle animations (for example, while the Imp is waiting for the player to run by, he juggles fireballs instead of walking in place)?

It's ok, the new weapon sprites are nice, enemies are ok,
it's kind of mediocre. If you truly like doom, though, like
i do, you should get if you can at a low price.

HWGuy said:

Livo, are you talking about something like model interpolation (where extra animation frames are created by the computer to make the model's movement look more natural instead of jerky and slideshowish) or idle animations (for example, while the Imp is waiting for the player to run by, he juggles fireballs instead of walking in place)?

I meant the latter, since I don't know whether you could interpolate the sprites animation or not.

Proper idle animations are what I was asking about elbryan, sorry I didn't make it clearer.

elbryan42 said:

We plan on making it as much as Doom 64 as possible though...

Hmmm.. Dose that mean your going to make the Aracnatorn fire two plasma shots instead of one? Another thing if be wondering, Aren’t the N64 sprites Higher Res then the PC ones?

presumably it will fire two not one, I always wondered why iD made the mancubus the only multiple projectile firing enemy, oh well. and since most people play doom with a source port of somekind, and since most people have a computer more powerful that a gameboy, its fairly reasonable to say that high res legacy/zdoom will make the port look pretty enough for you :)

Trasher][ said:
I haven't played it, but apparently you will not survive the ultimate secret level, which I think is called "Heretic" or "Chaos" or something.

You mean Hectic? That level was hard the first time around, but now I can pass the level as long as I begin the level with 200% health and 200% armor.

Hectic is not impossible, and you are rewarded with something nice if you manage to complete the level.