Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Map settings/themes you can't get enough of

I love E2 style. The terrestrial mountains in the sky but with the red skies of hell shining over them. The spaces that look familiar, but the demons are slowly corrupting it. In contrast, I also like the style where it looks like the abandonment event was recent, sort of like E1, where everyone's gone or dead, but everything's still running so far and things are reasonably clean. Brick cities are also something I like a lot, though they're definitely harder to pull off with stock Doom 2 resources.

4 hours ago, R1ck said:

summoning @YukiRaven. his/her quake-y stuff suits your preference on that. 

What's funny is that I never did that sort of theme until SoTNR.  Techbases were always my thing before.  Now I'm hooked on it.  Also, "her".

3 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

summoning @YukiRaven. his/her quake-y stuff suits your preference on that. 

hahaha.....YukiRaven-sama ;)

3 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

What's funny is that I never did that sort of theme until SoTNR.  Techbases were always my thing before.  Now I'm hooked on it.  Also, "her".

That's interesting. That's because I don't know your maps before SotNR and those Quake maps...don't kill me plz

@leodoom85 The only others up in /idgames are Extreme Terror and One Doomed Marine. My oldest levels are living inside a zip file on my hard drive still. I basically did techbases and "attempted" hellish maps.

-Anything related with mossy bricks
-Spirit-world style
-Libraries
-City maps with buildings and rooftops
-Sandy Petersen maps

Gothic themed maps and anything purple themed. There was another 4-map set besides Violence that I can't remember the name of. 

A slightly-less-meme-y version of my previous post: I really am a sucker for space/void stuff, hence skyfloors. The coolest forms of such settings IMO are the ones that take familiar-ish architecture (cities, ruins, etc) and chuck it into a cliche-surreal blender. void.wad is the ur-example for most, but things like B2B E2M9, Ancient Aliens, and many scenes from a certain as-yet-unreleased thing take it even further, I think.

It's also a pretty cool showcase for a particular thing the Doom engine is oddly good at -- the "hey, that sky shouldn't be there!" effect is a powerful force.

Espi's Suspended in Dusk and similar style maps. I just like detail that fits the textures intelligently. Plus, I love STAR* and the gradients that Espi used. BTSX is very close to this style. The shadows on the edges of STAR* go so well in corners, too.

MYJxi8t.png

Just now, Poohlyash said:

@leodoom85 DAMN YOU, NOW IM OCCUPIED FOR DAYS!
(But ill send ya map anyway, i cant be hold grudge on you for eternity.)

lolwat? 

Don't worry man. 

Currently, im digging the space theme alot. It's partly due to valiant's episode 5 and the space maps from ancient aliens. I just cant get enough of it heh. 

1 hour ago, Major Arlene said:

Gothic themed maps and anything purple themed. There was another 4-map set besides Violence that I can't remember the name of. 

You must mean Stardate 20X6 and/or its sequel, Stardate 20X7, though they're both more like 6-9 maps. If you haven't played both, they're highly recommended.

2 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

Have you seen the screens from what I'm working on right now?

*drools* did I tell you you're one of my favorites yet? I'm so looking forward to how it turns out!

I don't have one! I'm partial to techbase and Ancient Egypt, but you gotta experiment sometimes. Playing the same theme over and over isn't fun!

• Egyptian / Mayan
  • Void
    • Nullspace (Black Sky) void
    • Q3 Space DM Maps 'void'
    • Hell void, as seen in Ultimate Simplicity
  • Cavernous (moreso with vertex slopes!)
  • 'unique' - that is, maps that I've yet to see anything similar to. I try to make maps I've not made before quite often, which has made me make maps on tree tops, maps in nightclubs, neon / cyberpunky tron-like maps, amongst other things.

Water. I love aqueducts, rivers, water-logged ruins, the Dome of D'Sparil, and anything vaguely Atlantean. I don't know why, but watery places just do it for me.

On 11/8/2017 at 1:59 AM, Jimmy said:

I have serious love for a couple of niche themes and while I'm not fully sure why, they definitely seem to be the themes that I am most comfortable working with, and continue to dabble in.

• Swamps, jungles, gardens, vine bases
  • Old/abandoned/ruined towns
  • Underground mines
  • Brick/stone/blood settings (like Inmost Dens/Neurosphere)
  • Caves with colorful/bright liquids and/or crystals
  • Anything with rain as a weather effect
  • Anything remotely Plutonia

Who else has themes they either love playing, or love mapping for?

Almost the same, but I also love hellish themes, but more Silent Hill style. 

• I enjoy well made city levels. The city maps in The BD starter pack come to mind.
  • Dark and quiet techbases, a 64/Doom 3 feel.
  • Large elaborate architecture in general like chateaus and castles.
  • Maps that reinforce the feeling you're alone in the dark, and its up to you to try and find light or a safe spot, a functional tech outpost lost in a sea of decaying structures consumed by hell for instance.
  • Anything that feels like some earth structure got sent to hell and you were sent with it.

I love gothic medieval maps, whether using GothicDM textures, Eternal textures, both, or neither. The darker and creepier and spookier, the better.

Organic gory hell themes and techmaps getting taken by Hell. Doom 3 had some cool parts.