Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tetzlaff

Anyone versed in Chinese folklore?

Is anyone versed in Chinese or generally East Asian folklore and mythology? I found this image and I am wondering what it is:

nbpAspB.jpg

Is it a nature spirit? A demon or a god? Is it good, evil, or neutral?

Zhong Kui (Chinese: 鍾馗; pinyin: Zhōng Kuí; Wade–Giles: Chung Kwei) is a figure of Chinese mythology. Traditionally regarded as a vanquisher of ghosts and evil beings, and reputedly able to command 80,000 demons, his image is often painted on household gates as a guardian spirit, as well as in places of business where high-value goods are involved.

11 hours ago, Red said:

Zhong Kui (Chinese: 鍾馗; pinyin: Zhōng Kuí; Wade–Giles: Chung Kwei) is a figure of Chinese mythology. Traditionally regarded as a vanquisher of ghosts and evil beings, and reputedly able to command 80,000 demons, his image is often painted on household gates as a guardian spirit, as well as in places of business where high-value goods are involved.

Thank you very much! That answered all my questions.

I was thinking about putting him as a custom texture in a Doom 3 hell level, but since he's a helpful spirit, it probably wouldn't fit.

2 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

Thank you very much! That answered all my questions.

I was thinking about putting him as a custom texture in a Doom 3 hell level, but since he's a helpful spirit, it probably wouldn't fit.

Well it does say he commands 80 gorillion demons so you could work something out, maybe the demons rebelled and fucked him up or some such.

Well...what if you made the texture on a door to a hidden area that had a lot of helpful items inside?

7 minutes ago, Tracer said:

Well...what if you made the texture on a door to a hidden area that had a lot of helpful items inside?

That's actually a cool idea.

ewMD44p.jpg

Red, do you also know about that other spirit you can see in the panel over the door? It looks like an oni, but probably it's again a helpful spirit to scare away evil demons.

As you can see I try to recreate the green marble look of orignal Doom's hell.

16 minutes ago, Red said:

Well it does say he commands 80 gorillion demons so you could work something out, maybe the demons rebelled and fucked him up or some such.

Hhmmm, the Wikipedia article says that Zhong Kui was banned to hell because he commited suicide and that he then became "king of ghosts in Hell." So it would maybe fit.

Bro.  What if that door opened and a horde of "Forgotten Ones" or D3 lost souls came pouring out?!