Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

Your favorite fandoms/communities?

What are your favorite fandoms/communities?
Mine are the doom (obviously) and castlevania/bloodstained communities (i would mention the megaman one too if it wasn't for the MEME's).

Doom is probably the only (mostly) mature game community I've come across, in terms of it being dedicated to their creations, willing to learn tools and take criticism to further improve their content, as well as the least childish and bigoted which is extremely rare these days. This applies almost exactly to most tabletop RPG and wargame communities, at least from my experience.

Although I like assisting community events for some fighting games like Smash Bros and Mortal Kombat, I can't say I like the communities on their own but I guess most competitive games are guilty of that.

Aside from that I don't really know, I love stuff like Star Wars and Harry Potter but aside from individuals I haven't really partaken in any kind of community event.

1 minute ago, Red said:

the only (mostly) mature game community I've come across

1 minute ago, Red said:

the least childish and bigoted

said no man ever

Yeah they're all terrible. Even the ones that aren't will descend into terribleness before long.

I used to be a btard. There dropped my reputation like a witch and rock; I didn't care much for being banned despite never using proxy once to post (omg !), but the last one left me in a vacuum where I did stuff outside the computer and then I never felt like coming back.

Most other communities I used to frequent are dead or non English.

Doom. There is no other community for me. I tried getting into the TF2 community, but I turned into a sheriff there. Just a never ending sea of scammers and idiots with no one to protect or teach the new people. That's why I like this Doommunity, I can be a doofus without responsibility.

* edit * Now that I think about it I'm a member of a programming community that is always needy, whinny and demanding.

- Can you help me with my code? No I won't give you my problem code! You need to blindly solve my problem with no access to my code.

- Why won't you help me with my project that's bound to take 5 years to complete?

- I think I'll just downvote your projects to teach you to be nicer to the community.

- What's that? Don't add me on Steam to talk about how you can help me on my project? Guess I'll downvote your project anyway.

- I'm trying to get a real programming job... no I don't have any portfolio or proof that I can actually program, but I want $40 an hour!

Wow what a petty programming community. Stupid rating system includes downvotes... At some point I kept screenshots of it of people telling me they downvoted projects for whatever reason that didn't involve the project itself.

At about 6 months I just stopped teaching people as I would teach them or help them and then in a week or two they'd lose interest and disappear.

SteamWorks has gotten terrible over the past year too. You'd be amazed how many big, popular indie devs always need an idiot's help in the SteamWorks forum. People can program a few games yet always have issues with the SteamAPI as if its Steam's last barrier for defense... making things cumbersome and complicated to weed out the idiots. So naturally someone who isn't a Valve employee explains how.

Edited by geo

Ya, doom is about the only community I particularly like for BB. All the facebook groups are super retarded. Damn near every community for games I like, have something I'v some big gripes about.

The doom community is the only forum I've joined ever. So I guess it kinda has to be my favourite ;P

edit: also, I thought the name of this thread said "favourite condoms/communities" I really think I'm dyslexic

Edited by CzechMate29200

Guest Unregistered account

Undertale.

Seriously, I'm part of the Undertale Artists Facebook group, and some of the stuff they produce is just utterly beautiful. The people there should have their own gallery.

And everyone's always supporting each other, giving each other feedback. :')

It's sublime~

Doom, for obvious reasons stated already in this thread.

Other Doom-related communities eg SRB2, for the same reasons as Doom.

Aside from Doomworld, the Prince of Persia community, I've joined a Pokemon community just for gifs and memes, a MS-DOS gaming community that is pretty abandoned, and a Justin Timberlake fan community that also has very little to no activity, other than posting pictures of him being so handsome and sexy and perfect the way he is. And that's it, I don't join fandoms because I'm not a true fan of anything in this universe, not yet. Yahoo Answers was another "community" page I used to frequent a lot, fortunately this is in the past.   

The Elastomania community is very amusing, especially when it comes to its slang. Among other things it combines Finnish, Swedish, Russian, English, accidental misspellings that turned out to be cool, tons of intentional misspellings for comedic effect, numerous made up words, disrespect for grammar rules, etc. Just talking to someone well-versed in the local language can be highly entertaining, no matter what the topic is. And when you go somewhere else you feel really limited because now you can't use all these awesome words and you have to conform to normal grammar rules again. That place really has its own culture.

OverClocked Remix: Thousands of awesome VGM remixes/re-arrangements and compilation albums - all available for free, no less. 'Nuff said.

This is my only community forum I participate in as well. I love other things but for some reason I never check out any other forums aside from the occasional quake or blood sites.

You know you need to sleep when you read the title as "Favorite condom communities"

None, honestly.  I try to steer away from liking collectives, even ones that share a similar interest.  The closest I ever got to being able to say I loved a fandom was this one here.  But as they say, a bad apple spoils the bunch, and there are more than a few rotten ones here.  I still find a lot of people within this fandom that I have found similar interests and mindsets with, though.  But I have also found people who don't share many similar interests or thoughts with me but are not dicks about it.  For these people, I raise a toast.

On 8/13/2017 at 2:01 PM, Linguica said:

Calling Doom a "fandom" evokes a viscerally negative reaction in me for some reason.

Especially for me, since wikia recently co-opted the term <:P