Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CzechMate29200

The BFG, do ya like using it??

Part of the fun of the BFG against low numbers of monsters is using it in ways that aren't simply 'firing at stuff in front of you'. Stuff like two-shotting cybers in more complex ways, such as while having to change your angle or move behind a pillar mid-dance. Or firing the ball at one monster in a group and rapidly and accurately repositioning yourself to use the tracers efficiently on others. 7:xx and 9:xx of this video has examples of those:

Spoiler

Kills against mixed groups of monsters are also quite satisfying -- you fire a shot to get rid of a manc and HK close up and the tracers happen to vaporize a few hapless former humans wandering around on a ledge at the back of the room, blowing up a barrel in the process, which happens to make some imp puree. It's fun to maximize DPS by firing the ball at a distant slow, fat, or turreted monster while using the tracers on something up close. To stack BFG shots against monsters like the mastermind by firing a shot at a distant wall and timing it such that the tracers of the first shot go off after you move out of cover and fire the second shot, for a very quick one-two punch. 

These are just a few of the possibilities against lower numbers of monsters, and I haven't even gotten into the pleasures of using it against bigger groups or in slaughter scenarios. It's a really fun weapon (my favorite), and one that gets more fun to use as you get better at using it.

Edited by rdwpa

BFG gets you all that exp in ZD FFA 💯 💯

Jokes aside, it's literally the most innovative, interesting and effective gun I can think of in any FPS. It's beautiful, of course I love using it!

Do I like being a badass space marine welding a badass powerful gun that kills a shit ton of monsters in a badass way?

Spoiler

Yes...yes I do ;)

I save it for bosses and large groups mostly since I honestly don't like using it that much.  Something about its look and sound get on my nerves, as does its mechanics.  The SSG and plasma gun are much more my style.

Use it as much as possible, use it as efficiently as possible, and you shall clear all the slaughtermaps that have this weapon in them in a very fast fashion.

^Words of wisdom. It has by far the best 'ammo used to damage dealt' ratio!

I don't use it too often since it's usually unnecessary in the wads I'm accustomed to play. Though some spamming from time to time is goooood. I use it whenever the situation demands it, yes I like using it, it's a life saver, and that's why I generally avoid pulling it out because if it's not placed anywhere in the map, it means I may not need it, or at least that's what the author considered. Except its "safety f***ing pin", the weapon is a miracle. 

I like (or feel obliged) using it against archviles in situations like hit this switch and one is right behind me; huge crowds if infighting doesn't lighten the show; cyberdemons if there're more than one or they are in cramped corridors; barons in the same situation; queen spiders only if under blur/invincible effect and/or don't have a choice, so I don't like these situations; slaughter-ish stuff; it's so funny when a shot goes to another place and the tracers affect the monsters I have in front of, whether it was intentionally or not. 

Anyway... made my point. 

BFG is the ultimate oh shit gun, it's mechanics are really original. Comically it fits better in Doom 2 than in UDoom imo. It's always fun the smash a huge group of enemies are smack down that Archvile Swiftly with ease.

When it comes to energy cells, I am usually like Scrooge McDuck. I have to save those for an emergency, even if I don't get to use the weapon that much. This might take some fun out of the game, though it helps me in respecting the BFG as a weapon. In many levels you can find enough ammo to use it, yet it always feels nice to keep that feeling of hidden power inside your arsenal, only to unleash it at the appropriate moment.

But when I finally get to use it, it is devastating. I equip it when facing an Archvile (it never gets old one-shot-ing them and seeing them disintegrate), a Cybie, a Mastermind or huge crowds of mid to high tier enemies.

The BFG is the best final weapon for a game. It is satisfying to use and it really feels powerful. Every time I fire it, it charges for a second, so that it later reveals a green ball of death, obliterating anything in its passage. PERFECTION!

17 minutes ago, Haematobic said:

The BFG is a perfect example of the "too awesome to use" trope. I go crazy on it on slaughtermaps, where it fits perfectly.

That article said:

It's flashy. It's unstoppable. It is also single-use and impossibly scarce.

I wouldn't really say so, at least not in Doom1 and Doom2. There's plenty of spots throughout each game where you'll find a BFG tucked away and tons of ammo.

I rarely use it, but when I do my workload decreases significantly. If I'm panicking and don't want to execute some obscure strategy, the BFG is simply the perfect weapon for killing 2(hundred) birds with 1 stone.

I wish I could carry 800-1000 cells by default and the BFG ball explosion sprites were 2x bigger. Then I would give it my stamp of approval.

I love killing Cyberdemons by using only 2 bfg shots . ;)

Not that much. It feels too powerful. I prefer being a wimp who's slowly killing monsters one by one. When big groups of enemies die every few seconds that kind of cheapens the value of a kill.

It's a fun and very ammo efficient weapon, so I try to maximize its use when I have it. BFG spam maps can also be fun, although I usually prefer a mix of BFG/rocket play during slaughtermaps.

Hell yeah! Blowing a bunch of low-tier monsters into smithereens with it is ridiculously satisfying.

I like fighting against a lot of monsters while having enough ammo for other weapons but only very limited BFG ammo. The few BFG shots need to be chosen wisely to take down the most threatening enemies the most quickly, before continuing the battle in a more balanced way without the BFG.

I've known for a while how to get the 'most' (read: it's tricky to be optimum with it, depending on the situation) out of BFG versus a horde of weaker monsters for a while (and in this I include revs and HKs, heh) which is kinda satisfying... but recently, I've started to actually get the hang of two-shotting cyberdemons with the thing.

Now that shit is addictive. My primary BFG use these days is for viles, masterminds, cybies -- but if there's an overbearing rabble I want to thin out in a hurry it's also a good tool. But that cybie two-shot? Doomgasm.

Is the BFG OP? Sure. That's probably the whole reason slaughtermaps became a thing though; to even the odds and be a little less weighted in the player's favour.

Ah yes, the Big Fucking Gun, with a power of 9000, of course i like using it, it's satisfying to use, it's great for exterminating groups of enemies with bonus points if some green-haired or baldy gets gibbed in the process.

yes, its an elegantly designed weapon that's easy to use for its intended purpose but hard to master. Sure, its technically "broken" in how it totally stomps on the PR in terms of efficient cell use, but who cares. Its a wonderful weapon.

I don't know, I feel I gotta earn the right to use it, and it has happened very few times in Doom 1 and 2, if ever. 

A big room or corridor with a bunch of weak enemies that just die feels a bit cheap, and even boring if the monsters were placed there just so you can kill them like that. Being given one to fight a big enemy that also dies in a few hits feels anticlimactic. And honestly I've never seen the BFG being used in a map in any other way.

If anything I feel Doom 2016 did the best BFG by having only one or 3 uses every now and then, having its own special ammo (not sharing it with the plasma rifle), and placing them as rewards to make you feel like using the BFG is a big fucking deal no pun intended, so you only ever pull it in a moment of absolute desperation or bosses who aren't hurt THAT much by them but still enough so using them feels like "fuck yeah take THAT" you know?.

I use it depending of the situation. We all know how the BFG works. Overkill.....

13 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

theres-no-kill-like-overkill_o_1351785.j

>BFG - Best weapon which you can kill everything in one shot except the cybie...

>Fist - When powered up, it can be as lethal as the BFG

your pick......XD