Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeroMaster010

A new trick discovery: zero press!

Name the new trick!  

151 members have voted

1. 1. How should this new trick be called?

Lovely, this certainly opens up new possibilities. The IL record is also going to get upset and I do believe this will eventually go into 30nm as well, heh. Just find the cells elsewhere. :P

I'm sure many a player (including myself) has tried to hit this switch from below in the past:

Plutonia Map 04 pacifist in 0:08.46.

pp04-846.zip

Edited by 4shockblast

Normally you can hit a switch up to 64 units away, for my lv15 trick it was barely over 64 units... by adjusting the exit switch linedef on caged I managed to exit by being just over 85 units away (distance being from the edge of the exit switch linedef to doomguys centre).

I'd love to see an explanation for this.

Doom2 Map07 in 1:13.

Ok it just shows how to hit the exit from the lower ground, but this could be the very first time ever :o Maybe someone has hit it by accident in 23 years, and told his big bro and no one believed. Here's the proof now.

Credits for Zero-Master for finding the Map15 switch press and 4shockblast for finding PL04 switch press. I'm sure this won't be the only good place for the trick, especially considering TASs.

no07-113.zip

Edited by Looper

Doom II Map07 nomo in 4.57

While everyone was busy exploring the trick, I decided to bash out a quick and dirty record so that 4shockblast is practically forced to go for a 3s now >:D

lv07no457.zip

Doom speedrunning 1993-2017 RIP, we're into the era of d44m-like ignoring of the mapdesign altogether.

Boys, you're scaring me. One thing I like about Doom speedrunning is that even though there are tons of exploits, none of them are too ridiculous. I remember it was such a relief when it turned out that void glides have a very limited use because for a moment it looked like they were about to ruin everything. IIRC someone even suggested that they should belong to a whole separate speedrunning category. I hope this switch stuff won't get too crazy...

Guys and gals, since we're purging ugly tricks from uv-speed, I'm banning linedef skips. Hate them. Anyone else wants something removed while we're at it?

oi. any write-ups yet as to how exactly this works? amazing how far into doom's lifespan such huge tricks are being found

6 minutes ago, Ribbiks said:

oi. any write-ups yet as to how exactly this works? amazing how far into doom's lifespan such huge tricks are being found

lots of testing going on in the discord

Threw together a video of the different tricks discovered so far:

and lv32 and e4m2s should both be doable like lv17, but it might be difficult non-tas.

edit: also scythe map 03 is the same as lv15 and was the second time it was used.. also discovered AV.wad map 20 it's possible to hit the switch which opens up to the exit room.

Edited by ZeroMaster010

WTF I just watched lol.

Awesome trick!

Potentially breaks so many maps.

Was it possible to predict it by looking at source code? =)

For the Map17 trick at least, the issue appears to arise out of P_InterceptVector. When the player presses "use", the function correctly detects the solid wall intersecting the "use" trace at 16.04 units from their center (since the player has a radius of 16 units, right in front of their face, in other words). The switch line is detected as being crossed at... 10.2 units, or inside the player, in other words.

The reason *why* this happens is pretty confusing and obscure, because the algorithm to detect the line intersection is sort of black magic, and it further messes things up by bitshifting parts of the values to be smaller.

17 minutes ago, RjY said:

Its only merit (other than the proof/demonstration of the trick) appeared to be that it was whole minutes faster than the previous record

I mean, that is supposed to be the point of a speedrun, isn't it? ;)

2 minutes ago, fraggle said:

I mean, that is supposed to be the point of a speedrun, isn't it? ;)

"Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly speedruns." ;)