Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeroMaster010

A new trick discovery: zero press!

Name the new trick!  

151 members have voted

1. 1. How should this new trick be called?

The whole point of speedrunning is to break maps in whatever way is possible, so any hand-wringing over this is misplaced. Without new tricks, speedrunning faces a slow death. Besides, for those that prefer not to have to scour maps for obscure trick ideas, there are a bunch of categories that aren't much affected by the more radical new tricks.

But if we're really looking to ban some tricks, then personally I hate rocket jumps. Just too violent for my taste. :p (And I suck at them.)

5 hours ago, RjY said:

@MemfisI remember when glides were first discovered. I think it was HR02 by a guy named Cack_Handed. The record which had been 2 minutes of smooth, high quality speedrunning was replaced by this wobbly demo where the player meanders around the map for a half minute then spends another half minute forcing himself through an unlikely gap to reach the exit. Its only merit (other than the proof/demonstration of the trick) appeared to be that it was whole minutes faster than the previous record.

I know you're trying to make a point, but I feel the need to mention that almost every factual claim here is incorrect.

I also feel the need to stick up for @cack_handed, as anyone reading this post might think he is some sort of incompetent. He recorded some beautiful demos, and was almost singlehandedly responsible for working out how to make low-speed glides work smoothly. Without his efforts, these glides might have been vaguely the way you describe. To see how he made a work of art of a true glides "assault course", I can recommed his x1t7-036.lmp, which is in the Extremal demo pack.

11 hours ago, kraflab said:

lots of testing going on in the discord

What's this discord heresy

Some kind of IRC ripoff

Imagine IRC, but run by a private company, on a totally closed protocol, and heavily marketed to Gamers. Sounds like a dream right?

8 hours ago, RjY said:

I remember when glides were first discovered. I think it was HR02 by a guy named Cack_Handed.

Just to explain what Grazza meant, glides go way back to 1999 when @Jonathan discovered them using Zdoom of all things. It was, of course, on map16 and he even coined the accursed term in the textfile. How on Earth did "glide" catch on and not "squeeze" which he also used is beyond my comprehensive abilities.

Here's to hoping this new trick gets known as "extended switch", or whatever else other than switch glide.

1 hour ago, Looper said:

Don't forget the lit emojis 👌

I get emojis on IRC too

10 hours ago, Grazza said:

The whole point of speedrunning is to break maps in whatever way is possible, so any hand-wringing over this is misplaced. Without new tricks, speedrunning faces a slow death.

i think this deserves to be quoted over and over again.

The "press switch through wall" trick is brilliant.

Shouldn't there be a separate thread for discussing these new tricks?

13 hours ago, Linguica said:

Imagine IRC, but run by a private company, on a totally closed protocol, and heavily marketed to Gamers. Sounds like a dream right?

It also allows for easy file sharing of demos.

It's safe to assume that Doomguy is really the Flash.  He breaks the human land speed record, can vibrate through solid objects and now virtually nothing is beyond his reach.

wow, congratulations! these tricks are awesome! I go for Zero switch to give you all the credit you deserve for this. I guess you might not be the first TRYING to pull of these tricks, but all these guys seemed to give up before they managed to do it and thought it is not possible. I mean, come on, 23 years later and there is no demo about these tricks? you sir deserve that credit!

It's likely identical glitch as the one used in that ultimate doom void glide exit, I think? That would mean some instances of it have been around for a while.

The trick name should be also useable as a verb I think. Like you can say "glide past the bars" or "arch-vile jump above the fence" (hm, do people say that?). It's convenient when it's like that.

Son of a switch

EDIT: obviously I'm not being serious, Zero press = good term

Who has the most clout here with Carmack or Romero to ask them to chime in? There's got to be someone connected to them. Ling seems to have a probable cause with the programmer's viewpoint.