Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeMystic

I made another map!

This looks quite promising, judged solely on the screenshots. I'll make sure to give this a try as soon as I can. A small recommendation for your dropbox link: Replace the "0" at the end with a "1". It makes downloading the wad a bit more comfortable. :-)

And here's one FDA in which I overlooked the SSG and couldn't kill everything (Unless I would have gone for chainsawing the cybie, heh):

test_NIH_FDA.zip

Here's a second round in which I found the SSG and killed everything:

test_NIH_2ndDA_02.zip

Both demos made with PrBoom+ and -complevel 9 (messed that second file name up, but w/e ;-))

Nice little map that would fit well into an early slot of a bigger set. Out of 4 secrets I managed to find only 1, or was it two? I don't remember. It played relatively relaxed, and had some nice visual touches to it as well.

Good use of sound propagation near the crate area. I liked that a lot conceptually.

When you give out weapons like the SSG, it might be a nice little satisfactory touch to allow players to mow down some fodder with it. I always appreciate that.

I'm usually not a fan of shotgunning mid-tiers, but since the real estate was ample yet felt somewhat limited, the grinding of the bigger game didn't feel too uninteresting.

Overall some areas feel a bit "underpopulated". Given the size of the map, it's probably possible to double the monstercount without it feeling slaughtery at any point in time, but this is more a subjective POV of mine.

Don't hesitate to attack players from several directions. Most of the time, combat is very one-directional. The map could benefit from spicing things up a bit.

Some points that bugged me were chainsawing a horde of pinkies (you can see that happen in both demos) without there being any repercussions whatsoever, which turned the entire situation into a waiting game. In the very same room, scattering all the rockets and the respective rocket launcher across all the closets, so people need to run zig-zag to pick up the supplies, is something I'd argue most people aren't fond of (that would include yours truly). A more elegant solution would have been a seperate closet where things are put in a smaller spot, thus making the "looting" a lot more convenient.

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

FDA with 100 % kills and secrets, no deaths (-complevel 2).

The map looks good but is very easy for me, I was surprised you gave an invul to make killing the cyber easier. Also, all the secrets were found with the help of the automap.

test-ZeMystic_vita.zip

A caffeine-fueled FDA for the pile, along a second playthrough so that I could actually look at things. I was in hump mode (lol) at the start of the FDA because I heard of missing weapons. 

This reminds me of a tastefully detailed CC3-era map. Compact rooms, modest architecture, simple shapes. Lots of doors too. Cyb at the end would be a bit more interesting if it could roam freely. I agree with the gameplay being undercooked. 

testzem_rd_stuff.zip

16 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

And here's one FDA in which I overlooked the SSG and couldn't kill everything (Unless I would have gone for chainsawing the cybie, heh):

test_NIH_FDA.zip

Here's a second round in which I found the SSG and killed everything:

test_NIH_2ndDA_02.zip

Both demos made with PrBoom+ and -complevel 9 (messed that second file name up, but w/e ;-))

Nice little map that would fit well into an early slot of a bigger set. Out of 4 secrets I managed to find only 1, or was it two? I don't remember. It played relatively relaxed, and had some nice visual touches to it as well.

Good use of sound propagation near the crate area. I liked that a lot conceptually.

When you give out weapons like the SSG, it might be a nice little satisfactory touch to allow players to mow down some fodder with it. I always appreciate that.

I'm usually not a fan of shotgunning mid-tiers, but since the real estate was ample yet felt somewhat limited, the grinding of the bigger game didn't feel too uninteresting.

Overall some areas feel a bit "underpopulated". Given the size of the map, it's probably possible to double the monstercount without it feeling slaughtery at any point in time, but this is more a subjective POV of mine.

Don't hesitate to attack players from several directions. Most of the time, combat is very one-directional. The map could benefit from spicing things up a bit.

Some points that bugged me were chainsawing a horde of pinkies (you can see that happen in both demos) without there being any repercussions whatsoever, which turned the entire situation into a waiting game. In the very same room, scattering all the rockets and the respective rocket launcher across all the closets, so people need to run zig-zag to pick up the supplies, is something I'd argue most people aren't fond of (that would include yours truly). A more elegant solution would have been a seperate closet where things are put in a smaller spot, thus making the "looting" a lot more convenient.

I've never been good with monster placement and health placement. I just placed what felt doom 2-ish. Doubling the monster. Would be a great idea. Leave the current monster set for Hurt Me Plenty. The pinkies in the switch room could be changed, maybe some projectile monsters. As well with the looting, I'll find a more creative idea for it.