Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phade102

3d sloped floor?

Question

I have an idea for some architecture for my map but it would require a 3d floor to be sloped. is this at all possible, or is it simply beyond the doom engine?

Im mapping for doom 2 in UDMF format by the way.

12 answers to this question

Make the control sector sloped and make sure its position is well aligned with the target sector so the slope will appear as it should.

You can indeed do sloped 3d floors but not sloped transparent 3d floors. 

It just requires a special kind of control sector but, the process is practically the same as making your usual 3d floor. 

Also, sloped 3d floors will not be rendered in software mode according to the zdoom wikia: 

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Sector_Set3dFloor

I direct you to chubz's tutorial on how to do sloped 3d floors: 

He uses zdoom (doom in hexen format) but, I recomend using UDMF like you are. 

I dont want to make them transparent. I'm basically designing a gothic styled cave system, with arches and such. But I wanted to have a ramp you can walk under to get to another area. I'm unsure how exactly to do it. I know how to do 3d floors, but not sloped ones.

Yep.  One thing you need to be aware of is that the slope angle kind of extends from the control sector all the way to the position of the 3D sector.

I'm not sure of the details, but you can end up with the slope on the 3D sector being quite different to the slope on the control sector.  The trick is to put the control sector on as close to a perfect a perpendicular orientation as you can: e.g. if your slope is pivoted north to south, put the control sector exactly in line east or west of the 3D sector.  If you imagine the angle of the slope extending sideways from the control sector all the way to the 3D sector it remains the same.

27 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

damn I wish there was a video tutorial for this. its complicated.

I'll send you a wad example with comments, if you wish ;)

Edit: @Phade102Check the wad. It might come in handy.

3dsloped.zip

Edited by leodoom85

As long as you don't touch the control sector after getting the right slope, you can make it the exact same way as a regular 3D Floor. The control sector can be anywhere. (again. Just don't move it.) click on either the floor and ceiling and go to the "slopes tab" 

Addendum: When adjusting the angles and height use ctrl and shift to move them in fractions of degrees.

I use lots of slopes this way in "Sludge Refinery" 

2 hours ago, Phade102 said:

its complicated.

It's not complicated, just hard to describe or depict due to being 3D in essence, but once you see it, it should be clear how it works.

Copy the Sector you want to 3D Sector floor it

Paste it outside of the playable map (You must paste it Looking to the same way your Original Sector is looking forward to)

After that give that sector a linedef of 160

Then Create an extension from that sector that looks like a square

Give the line looking at the part you want to slope a linedef of 181

Then modify your Sector to whatever you want it to look.

easiest way I make a sloped 3D floor is by drawning a sector around the 3d floor control sector after applying slope linedef effect to one of the 3D floor control sector linedefs, then simply change the floor / ceiling heights of the 3d floor sector (not the one surrounding it, unless I want to change the height of 3D floor, If so I change them both).