Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jayextee

The Becoming [episode 1 news on page 2]

Attaching my playthrough of the first four maps. I enjoyed the first two quite a bit, especially e2m2 had a really interesting layout that was fun to explore. A tiny detail I liked was a shotgunner trapped between a wall and a small crate. Also there was a very funny moment with the reveal of unwanted barrels. e2m3 and e2m4 seemed very concept-heavy and unfortunately for me I didn't like the concepts that much. On e2m3 after a while I got tired of running around with nothing to shoot at, and on e2m4 going through the same thing twice felt a bit like a chore. Props for experimenting though. These two maps also had more lost souls, demons, and cacodemons than I'm used to seeing in Doom 1 maps, so having to kill them with mostly weak weapons wore me out. On e2m4 I also encountered ammo problems, although l probably missed some ammo caches and didn't use the chainsaw enough. Music-wise I enjoyed atmospheric e2m1 and e2m3, the other two had too much heavy metal guitar to my taste I guess. More tomorrow.

becoming_RC1_21-24_mem_FDA.zip

An official release of Jayextee maps? Insta-download.

I remember trying out an earlier version and I found the map with nothing but corpses to be quite confusing.

So I played the rest (demos attached again). e2m5 was an excellent nonlinear journey with no gimmicks (yay!) and great architecture that really gave the level a 3D feel. I see a mapping sin was committed during the making of the exit room but whatevs. Along with e2m2 it's the best map in the pack in my opinion.

e2m6 and e2m7 were good, although it kinda seemed like you made too many big rooms and then didn't quite know what to do with them. It's not easy to achieve challenging gameplay in large areas without going the slaughter route. Also by this time the lost souls got really out of hand and the teleporting monster traps became a bit boring. The solution is always the same anyway: run away despite a monster trying to block you because that's better than facing a horde of enemies in any case. And I'm not sure if that was the intention but I felt a noticeable lack of ammo throughout these two maps, so for a while I kept skipping monsters here and there. I guess that's what made them more challenging as I had to maneuver around barons and cacos many times.

Didn't care for e2m8, just annoying to play... I wonder how keyboarders are gonna feel about it. e2m9 had a cute slaughter puzzle in the start but the rest seemed really silly. I'm sorry, I just don't feel inspired to fight monsters when it's THAT easy to run past them. Again, large open areas are rather problematic in Doom. Then a teleporter leading straight to a lava pool (lol) killed me and I said "screw it".

Overall, I can certainly see why you feel proud of these maps. There is a strong sense of the author's identity everywhere. It is obvious that you had a clear mapping philosophy and thought about many things while working on this. I'm ready to play your next classic style wad.

becoming_RC1_25-29_mem_FDA.zip

I'm away from my computer right now (at a friend's place) so can't watch FDAs, but there are some good points here nonetheless. I get a feeling I'm going to be updating a released candidate 2 because;

12 hours ago, Memfis said:

Then a teleporter leading straight to a lava pool (lol) killed me and I said "screw it".

Whoops, earlier versions of this map (E2M9) had water instead of lava so this wasn't an issue. And now it totally is, you're very right to complain about that.

I'll see if I can address those easily-retreatable fights as well. There's only so much I can do to "keep it classic" and not turn it into a modern Skillsaw-esque push-forward encounter (though they're neat as hell). Thanks for playing these, Memfis. :)

May want to look around because the nice structure I've seen at some of the maps. I just warped around for now to look. The title is not capitalized for now.

E2M8 is definitely kind of... you know. My current view to that is probably putting a little bit of place for the player to move forward after the teleporter would be nice. I don't know whether this is my problem because I tend to move forward after a teleporter, and died ;P

Wow, that E2M1 barrel secret got me. Now you knew I'm cheating, so sad!

I think the -complevel should be 3?

Edited by GarrettChan

Man, I really miss these kinds of maps. High quality work with a pure and simple modern-yet-classic aesthetic, while still being fresh and exciting.

I've only completed e2m1, but if the rest of the episode is like all your previous work, I'm sure it'll be satisfying.

This is how you make great vanilla maps.

Oof, nice catch!

Okay, I'm definitely putting together a RC2 if nothing other than to fix this. I'm usually good at spotting these for myself, this one slipped through the net it would appear. I can't get the testers. ;)

*signs up for playtesting*
I'll finish it first, then go nuts with bug hunting.

If anything I'd like to see some more stimpacks littered around the levels.

E2M3 was pretty damn interesting. I've never seen a map like it before. Whatever happened to that Bruiser? I feel like it trolled me.

Just now, Voros said:

Whatever happened to that Bruiser? I feel like it trolled me.

Its fate is the same as yours, when you complete the map.

:P

Consider adding a rad suit on the acid floor on e2m4 too. There's a very very small platforming section to get to a locked door, and since its a platformer, its possible to fall down on the acid floor again.

I fell 2 times.

Around 353,-1000 on e2m4 (that pad with the red key) you can use it to your advantage by jumping out the windows here. One window will lead to the "normal" side, nothing big. The other window leads to the "hell" side, and potentially allows you to skip a large portion of the map.

I like this for being an awesome shortcut. Whether it's intentional or not is not my concern :) I'd be frustrated to see this "fixed".

Edit: turns out it wasn't the hell side. Shame.

Edited by Voros

I hate the cacodemons on e2m9. In fact I hate the damn starting point. I've managed to successfully escape from there once (by luck) and the other 100+ times were deaths by rockets on cacos in close quarters, backstabbing imps and cacos, rockets on walls and more backstabbing.

Accidental double post in spoilers

Around 353,-1000 on e2m4 (that pad with the red key) you can use it to your advantage by jumping out the windows here. One window will lead to the "normal" side, nothing big. The other window leads to the "hell" side, and potentially allows you to skip a large portion of the map.

I like this for being an awesome shortcut. Whether it's intentional or not is not my concern :) I'd be frustrated to see this "fixed".

Edited by Voros

E2M4 is probably the most 'speedrunnable' map of the entire set. I haven't personally done it, but I suspect the map can be cut down real short with (ab)use of the switch that raises the platforms... ;)

I didn't catch the red key plinth trick, gonna have a looksee. :D

3 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

E2M4 is probably the most 'speedrunnable' map of the entire set.

SR40 off shotgunner/barrel platform near start as well to get straight to platform switch. Shit, this may accidentally be the best layout. :D

As for the window-hopping, it too passed me by but I'm keeping it in. :D

23 minutes ago, Voros said:

I hate the cacodemons on e2m9. In fact I hate the damn starting point. I've managed to successfully escape from there once (by luck) and the other 100+ times were deaths by rockets on cacos in close quarters, backstabbing imps and cacos, rockets on walls and more backstabbing.

Yeah, about this, I am absolutely unapologetic about using E2M9 to experiment mildly with slaughter gameplay in the initial encounter, because it's a secret map. The challenge dies down considerably after the start though. All I can tell you is to push forward for the shotgun and doubly back as quick as possible to get behind the cacos. On settings lower than UV there's an invuln sphere to help things along, but I assure you it's possible to get pretty consistent even on UV itself.

That's exactly what I keep doing. I get the shotgun and try to race back and hope the cacos don't block me and the imps don't enter into the small area. It happens once in a blue moon.

I've been playing on HMP cause everyone plays on UV anyway. I never noticed an invulnerability sphere. I did a notice a chainsaw outside and a switch that does something (I died before I could find out. Lost souls damn it).

I dunno what to tell you, man. Just recorded this quickly with Chocolate Doom.

Although on close inspection I always veer to one side of the hallway after picking up the shotgun, to lure the caco to that side and give myself some room to get behind it. Perhaps I've just been doing this without thinking, heh.

I have a failed demo attempt here and in it I failed to get out of the starting room everytime. I managed to make some progress on one particular attempt, but it went down the drain because splash damage. I don't want to bore you with my stupidity, so no public demo.

IIRC, something similar happened with Nex Credo's map10, that you would always move in particular direction which gave you a good enough chance to bypass the cyberdemon. Different people have different tastes.

BTW, I don't think e2m9b is bad. I always liked your secret maps. They feel powerful and unique. Even if it seems outrageous, it's also fun to challenge myself with it.

Edited by Voros

I didn't take it as an attack, just trying to help you out. I didn't realise I pulled the same shit on 'Silence' from Nex Credo, but yeah. I should be aware of that and reign it in with future maps, maybe. >:D

Actually wondering how well I'd do at that map now given that I can pretty consistently BFG two-shot the bastards these days. >:D

Haven't really played in a few months, was a neat one to come back to. You can tell by how terrible I am :D . Even though I got lost in "Ghosts", the concept was neat.

Spoiler

Fumble around in the dark, go to hell, kill a pile of demons, then fumble around while killing their ghosts again. Noice

didn't take it as an attack

My bad. Improper wording. Read again, and I'll go back to finishing e2m4.

Is the title a NIN ref by any chance? ^_^

This looks great, Shores of Hell is my favorite episode in Doom 1, so I'll be sure to give this a go when I do.

On e2m9 my solution was to avoid picking up that shotgun so that the imps don't come out. Just stand near it, wait for the cacodemons to come closer, then rush to get the rocket launcher. Once you're done with all cacos you can release the imps.

Hello. Lately I've been trying to play a lot more recent stuff after falling so far behind the curve for the first half of the year or so, and so I thought I'd give this a try, increasingly fond of Deimos as I seem to be these days.

Here's a complete skill 4 FDAs pack using RC1, a.k.a. DotW finds a way to get hit by every lost soul that exists, and maybe a few that don't.

E2M5 is technically a DNF, as I died at the very end of the map (I'm sure you can guess where/how) and didn't fancy replaying the whole thing to get back there and then work out the puzzle. Out of curiosity, is there a clue to the correct path through to the secret exit somewhere, or is it more of a trial-and-error sort of thing (which would admittedly be authentically oldschool)? Anyway, I think I also died once to learn the gimmick on the bossmap, but other than that it's mostly smooth sailing, though apparently I was on 4% health or something for like half the runtime of E2M2 without realizing it; simple attrition wore me down, but there was never any real feeling of threat, and so my internal "Danger: you need to start sucking less IMMEDIATELY" sensor failed to trip, I guess.

On that note, it took me some time to warm up to the set, though I had mostly come around by the end. From an action standpoint the game seemed to often revolve around ammo/other resources being rather tight in comparison to the HP totals aligned against you, which is quite similar to another (longer) mapset I've also been playing recently, and so perhaps my palate is a little numb to that particular approach at current. Looking at things in hindsight, I think that the thing balance is actually for the most part judged pretty well, with early scarcity of resources prompting you to be more selective about what and how you fight early in maps (from pistol-start), which plays into and somewhat offsets the general lack of threat in the often loose/incidental monster placements; as the maps get bigger and start to skew more towards demons instead of zombies the attrition factor tends to decrease (a particular difficulty inherent in designing for OG Doom instead of Doom II), so the impetus to run around loose and free a bit more is valuable as a counterforce. Overall I think that ammo/weapon balance comes out nicely in the wash; maybe a little bit too miserly with plasma, esp. outside of secrets, since it seems like even continuous players will hardly ever get to use this ammo type for its vanishing rarity. Might want to add a bit more in the way of extra basic healing items (stimpacks and such), though, which is probably much more of an issue in the early levels than in the later ones, ironically.

I will say that it struck me that pretty much the only time the mapset ever really exerts real pressure is when you decide to pull a cheapshot or dirty trick of some sort, teleporting into a really bad situation or something of that nature; the rest/majority is a nature walk in comparison, and I felt that the disparity was sometimes just a liiiiiitttle more pronounced than I'd like. Don't read me the wrong way, here: I think that "unfair" cheapshots/dirty tricks are fine and dandy and often an integral part of an exciting game of Doom, and I like several of the ones you pulled here (exit ambush in E2M4, third tricolor teleporter in E2M9, etc.), so my criticism is not that I felt you should've done less of them as that sometimes the stuff in between them sort of seemed a little shallow in comparison. Again, to some degree this is part and parcel for the limited OG Doom bestiary (especially in the context of spacious surroundings, as Memfis touched upon), and I suppose the more straightforward flavor to a lot of the incidental action could/will be viewed as integral to the set's more old-fashioned feel by some, but speaking for myself I'd have liked a few extra spikes on the massacre/panic scale, if you know what I mean.

Brief comments per map:

E2M1: I see you still like your pistol-based openers, eh? Fine with me, I like them too (esp. in OG Doom rather than in Doom II for some reason), if you can believe it. I liked this as an m1, its weirdly vertically-inclined layout is unusual in a game opener and its strong mood lighting sets a dimly ominous tone that, given how the set handles its E2 theme, reads like tasteful foreshadowing, in contrast to the immediate abstract surreality often seen in this theme.

E2M2: This is the map that I've retained the least clear memory of, now that I've finished playing, so I'm afraid I don't have anything terribly useful to add here beyond what the FDA may suggest. I do recall feeling somewhat of a dummy for not being able to figure out half of the secrets, but of course that's absolutely not your problem (quite the contrary, in fact). :) There are a lot of cool room constructions here, with a continuation of the broad wraparound staircase theme from the first map, though this being still staunchly framed as 'early game' many of them don't see much use and so read more like sightseeing stops. The little IWAD references snuck in there stand out a bit--normally I don't really care for this kind of thing, but since they're so glibly/casually lampshaded here somehow I didn't mind.

E2M3: A high-concept map, I actually quite liked this one. It's crucial to think of it more as an extended interlude than as a proper game level, perhaps; looked at in this way it's nicely atmospheric, maybe even a little genuinely creepy. If one takes time to explore I think there's a lot more relative firepower on this map than in most any other, which in one sense is smirkingly ironic in that there's far less to fight here, and in another works very well as a clever sort of metagamey way of enforcing the in-game atmosphere, since it sort of primes you to expect that something really, really bad is eventually going to happen, even though it never really does. The mandatory teleporter in the heart of the dark crate maze is probably the most "90s" element of the entire set and can probably be fairly criticized as somewhat out of step with the generally clear/straightforward progression schemes of other levels, though as someone weened on that kind of thing I can't say it actually bothered me in any real capacity.

I have to admit I was absolutely sure you were eventually going to flood the place with a shit-ton of lost souls or something instead of a few specters, heh.

E2M4: Ah, the Wormhole concept. Seen a lot of that recently, feels like (thnx TNT nostalgia/revivalism). I like the main/start area here with its weird nonstandard traversal over ooze with platforming runs, but the rest sort of blurs together, and going through essentially the same map twice (albeit once roughly in reverse) doesn't sit entirely comfortably with the largely basic/incidental combat using small-arms, esp. since beefier enemies like cacos and such become more common in the Otherworld Refinery (or whatever it is). I did quite like how suddenly/disarmingly nasty the last trap is, though, and the cinematic framing of the actual transition between dimensions is really cool as well. It's good to see someone care about this stuff instead of just "here's a red square with a pentagram on it, so now you're not in Kansas anymore I guess."

E2M5: I felt this level was the low point of the set, personally. To some degree it has the same sense as E2M2 where a number of the areas are pretty cool from an architectural perspective (interesting to see more IWAD references pop up here as well, coincidence?) but feel a mite underutilized since not much actually happens in them, particularly true with the hub area in the middle, which feels downright wasted as a playspace. To some extent this probably a function of the aforementioned space vs. threat dynamic skewing farther towards space, yet also in the context of what is probably the most miserly map in the set from an ammo balance standpoint. Very, uh.....blue-ballsy. I also felt like the map would've been better off without the yellow key, which requires a weirdly flow-breaking random backtrack at some point to actually get (which is very halfheartedly compensated by the release of something like a whopping 3 cacos in the aforesaid hub, I guess?). Oh, and those cacos in the cages totally beg to be telefragged instead of the way it is now, IMO. Best part is probably the pie-lift trap before the red skull, some nice action there. I also thought the start area was really cool aesthetically, for whatever it's worth, there's something very evocative about those grey industrial smokestacks or whatever they are rising on the horizon out of an otherwise Doré-esque hellscape.

E2M9: Yeah, the first scenario is entertaining, the rest is pretty much a wash. Despite all I've said in 'critical analysis voice' to this point, I actually still find wildly oversized playspaces in idtech1 to be endearing and pleasurable to knock around in in a nostalgic sort of way, so I didn't really resent playing the rest of the map after that first bit. "Objectively" speaking, though, I think this is pretty much hands down the set's weakest/least well-developed level, even though E2M5 pushed my particular buttons more.

E2M6: This one kind of blurred into E2M7 for me, in my gut-memory I seem to be thinking of it as 'the warmup.' The much freer non-linearity (which continues in the next level) is a welcome design change, and I feel like this level is probably the most authentic realization of the 'something from another era, spruced up' design spec for the episode. It's big and rollicking and never really dangerous, but has enough different ideas and room types to keep one interested, alongside a traditional eclectic-Inferno theme. More of the big spaces here as well, and while they're still more than large enough to sap most practical threat from the combat it's not as over-the-top in that regard as E2M9, and the nonlinear layout + relatively tight supply balance prompts a decent runaround, as I was yammering about when I first started. Lacks a real climax, notably, though since it's not the penultimate level I guess that's not really a big issue.

E2M7: I think this was my favorite level in the set. Much the same in general character as E2M6, though aesthetically/structurally it's subtly more modern somehow (more structurally 'together', perhaps). I think what really sold it to me over its predecessor is simply that it's a lot bloodier, with more stuff to kill and monsters present in enough volume to follow you around a little more should you choose not to fight them all immediately. The early berserk pack is also MUCH appreciated; it's hardly the most practical option (and nowhere near mandatory for methodical players) but is quite well-suited to the opening areas. Biggest fault I can think of is that, again, the climax is pretty halfhearted, more an issue in slot 2-7 than in 2-6, IMO, esp. since some of the earlier maps had nastier jabs than anything seen here.

E2M8: A genuinely novel spin on the traditional mano-a-demono with the Cyb, guess I'll give you that much, and probably merits its existence just for that. I also can't remember the last time my gut told me to fight a cyberdemon with a chaingun when I had the choice of other weapons, so that's something as well, I guess. The nature of the restriction takes most of the 'personalizing' potential out of the fight beyond the choice of weapon, though, and I don't reckon too many folks will be terribly fond of it as a result. Vaguely annoying Baron snipers around the arena seem a bit of a misjudgement, since they're just as likely to distract the cyb and blunt the rest of the concept as they are to serve what is presumably their intentional role as harrassers/anti-camp measures. If anything, I think you weren't enough of a dick here, honestly....how about some cacos, or hell, some lost souls (your favorite!) to complicate moving around the self-destruct path, something of that nature?

Enjoyable set overall, some concerns about periodic anticlimax aside (and a lot of that's just me, some folks will surely love the way the whole thing is paced out). In comparison to Nex Credo (the last major work of yours I played--how times flies!), I also think it feels more natural/less labored, with a much more organic blend of high-concept stuff and more traditional action. Would love to see you try an E3 replacement sometime, since E3 often seems to bring out some of the weirdest/most elaborate level concepts in folks, and you seem to tend in that direction.

I spent the weekend away from computer/Internet at a tattoo convention with my partner (who is a tattooist). Late responses ahoy (sorry).

On 18/08/2017 at 3:24 PM, cyan0s1s said:

Is the title a NIN ref by any chance? ^_^

Yes. And all the map names, because '90s. (Even if some are post-'90s tracks, but sssshhhhh! :P )

22 hours ago, Demon of the Well said:

Out of curiosity, is there a clue to the correct path through to the secret exit somewhere, or is it more of a trial-and-error sort of thing (which would admittedly be authentically oldschool)?

Where else do you see the textures seen on the sides of the platforms? And what order are they 

always in?

Or failing that, what order do the corresponding beasties appear in the first two games? ;)

Otherwise; HOLY SHIT DotW, this is the kind of write-up a creative can only dream about of their work. In-depth, concise, reasonable. I feel like responding to some of the things you've said that I really like, so here goes:

The little IWAD references snuck in there stand out a bit--normally I don't really care for this kind of thing, but since they're so glibly/casually lampshaded here somehow I didn't mind.

Yeah, I'm halfway taking the piss any time they appear. I say 'halfway' because when Plutonia does it I'm okay with it. But otherwise it's kinda dumb so it's in there as, I don't know, in-jokes? References? My favourite is probably E2M3's Entryway reference because holy shit are we seeing a lot of D2 MAP01 these days for some reason... ;)

I have to admit I was absolutely sure you were eventually going to flood the place with a shit-ton of lost souls or something instead of a few specters, heh.

Ah. Yes. Actually doing the same thing but with lost souls was a map I planned to make for Nex Credo's second episode somewhere, but (obviously) never got around to it. I revisited the idea because I wanted a map simply named 'ghosts' -- so of course, slaying a bunch of demons and having them come back as spectres to mess your shit up was the eventual plan. I like the idea of thinking of this as an 'intermission', too -- I deliberately put this map right before I start to bring out the masses of meat with that latter part of E2M4.

I did quite like how suddenly/disarmingly nasty the last trap is, though, and the cinematic framing of the actual transition between dimensions is really cool as well. It's good to see someone care about this stuff instead of just "here's a red square with a pentagram on it, so now you're not in Kansas anymore I guess."

Thank you! What's ironic here is how I genuinely and legitimately don't care about making games more cinematic. But given the loose 'plot' of this episode (starting very E1/Phobos in style and literally Becoming hell0style, through some E2 clichés) it seemed the thing to do.

I actually still find wildly oversized playspaces in idtech1 to be endearing and pleasurable to knock around in in a nostalgic sort of way, so I didn't really resent playing the rest of the map after that first bit.

Same! And I admit to using the E2M9 slot, which I had zero ideas for, as an experimental playground of sorts - into slaughter encounters (albeit the small opening one), wide open vanilla spaces and 'Sandymaps' in general. "It's the secret map" may yet be my justification for untold amounts of bullshit that may or may not work, watch this space! (Or check out 900 Deep In The Dead. Or FreeDoom phase 2, because it seems to be an accidental trend of mine to do precisely this)

Biggest fault I can think of is that, again, the climax is pretty halfhearted, more an issue in slot 2-7 than in 2-6, IMO, esp. since some of the earlier maps had nastier jabs than anything seen here.

The previous releases had something of an anticlimax, with the area not sealed off and littered with more full-size medikits than anyone should ever need. I do not think my WAD jokes are always so well-received (although you might've liked that better than the current thing, heheheh <3 ).

If anything, I think you weren't enough of a dick here, honestly....how about some cacos, or hell, some lost souls (your favorite!) to complicate moving around the self-destruct path, something of that nature?

I was originally more of a dick here. Blur sphere on UV, and the self-destruct teleporter on ALL difficulty settings (instead of just UV). Maybe my initial ideas are better than trying to appease people? You're spot-on about the barons though; if only I could've put revenants on those pillars.... :P

And that's kinda the thing I have found out whilst making my first 'serious' Doom 1 episode; how much the Doom 2 bestiary just completes encounter design. People can bitch about revs and chaingunners all they like, but they'd have spiced up E2M5 no end. E2M9? I'd have killed for arachs, mancubi and maybe a couple free-roaming archies.

I'm still very proud of The Becoming here; indeed I have said it's some of my finest mapping right here. But I'm probably less-likely to make another Doom 1 episode for a while due to everything I've learned from the experience.

I'll be taking a lot of this feedback on board for RC2 though. Now I'm back home, I can get on that. :D

Edited by Jayextee

Thanks for the bit about the puzzle.

Spoiler

The order of the faces, of course! Very clever. Maybe a slight stretch in that the IoS/Baphomet/Gatekeeper/MarthaStewart'sTrueForm/etc. isn't actually in the original game, but I like it nonetheless, and in hindsight it fits right in with episode-wide theme of marble faces used as progression signifiers in other ways.

You can barely tell what each stone block has what face on it. And exactly what would be the order? I already solved via trial-and-error, but I honestly don't why.

9 hours ago, Voros said:

And exactly what would be the order?

Baron face, as these guys are seen first and foremost in Doom's first episode as the boss encounter.

Archvile face, as one of the fuckers is seen at the end of Doom 2's first episode guarding the blue key.

Icon of Coil Sin face, as the thing is right at the end of Doom 2.

That's the order, if you didn't notice either the pillars at the start of the map or the two murals of the things (read left-to-right) in the map itself.

As for barely being able to tell, that's IMO the weakest part of the whole puzzle. I had the blocks laid out and realised that I couldn't see the faces so well. Which is why they rise and fall as platforms, so you can (with a bit of effort) actually discern what the hell they are.

Incidentally, that section is escapable using the same method of ordering the space correctly (but not the same route per se).