Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrCacod3mon

(Re-opened post) BFG-9000 VS Raygun

this is a poll about what weapon is better at killing demons/enemies/zombies/etc..

ARMAS (65).png

the weapons are

THE BFG-9000 from Doom

and The Ray Gun from Call of Duty Zombies

Edited by MrCacod3mon : re-open the post

7 minutes ago, MrCacod3mon said:

and of course everyone on this site knows what the BFG-9000 looks like!!!

Sure, but in case anyone doesn't know you should post a pic. Be considerate.

RhdjrHy.png

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Doom monsters would be immune to Call of Duty weapons,  so the BFG wins by default. 

1 minute ago, rdwpa said:

Sure, but in case anyone doesn't know you should post a pic. Be considerate.

RhdjrHy.png

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Doom monsters would be immune to Call of Duty weapons,  so the BFG wins by default. 

well we need to know the stats first... and of course they can as well be affected by CoD weapons... Shotguns and Rocket Launchers are the same

Look, mate, that Raygun looks like something kids would play with at school...

The BFG 9000 is where it's at.

The BFG 9000 is the supreme weapon of extreme hellish annihilation. Got it? Good...

;-)

Just now, Nine Inch Heels said:

Look, mate, that Raygun looks like something kids would play with at school...

The BFG 9000 is where it's at.

The BFG 9000 is the supreme weapon of extreme hellish annihilation. Got it? Good...

;-)

well the point of this post was to say which is better with stats of the weapons

1 minute ago, MrCacod3mon said:

well the point of this post was to say which is better with stats of the weapons

stats can be found in the doomwiki.. use google, do some math, consider that versatility matters because numbers aren't everything. Done...

33 minutes ago, MrCacod3mon said:

by the way you need to answer with research....

I know what the BFG 9000 can and can't do. It kills enemies with 4000HP in two shots. So what is it that you want? Want us to do the the research for you, or what's the idea here?

How are you gonna pose a question asking for researched answers without providing your own answer, researched or otherwise?

How about you tell us which you think is the superior enemy-masher. A description or linked video of the raygun might be a good thing too, considering wtf even is that.

Where are these stats you say you know about this ray gun and then don't even include in your lazily put together post? Am I suppose to go out my way to figure this out? Also do I even care? Clearly I cared enough to click this thread but only because I wanted to see how stupid this would turn out to be. Only now instead of laughter I am offended. Because this isn't stupid but just plain painfully bad. Oof. Moving on.

nothing to say here...

Warning: The copypasta below was made in real time for recreational use to criticize the decision of this thread's author, as he/she/it refuses to accept the discussion the way it was respectfully addressed by important forum members. Do NOT use this text for evil purposes!

Chapter 1: Dots

Dots in their true form are a magnificent, although simple, piece of art, that can end everything, from the longest yet physically small sentences, like this one, to the unearthliest space strings of rock and ice, to even black holes in their most formidable form, as all you need is a CLIFFHANGER. When in groups, these ferocious characters can be proven dangerous, due to the fact it symbolizes pause, and for a good reason: They consume part of time in the spacetime matrix and devote it to near silence. Near since it's still meaningful; you can interprete a pause from someone's speech as meaning the scariest of scares, the coldest of freezes, or even the worse of the incoming dangers, though in the latter it can be cheaply replaced by "um" when you want to kill the crew with a temporal disadvantage.

There are many ways to utilize it without killing your crew, though:

• Write "...", which might actually end up taking less time, depending on your writing skills.
  • Learn to make your pauses smaller when on urgent situations.
  • JUST DON'T WAIT IF IT'S A SERIOUS AND URGENT ISSUE. That's one of the main issues in humanity: the "um" word should be classified as a DANGEROUS word AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Maintain calm since I did not exclaim in this text; but rather utilize dots to express your calming, so we all know that you are not in a frenetical state of mind with a killing spree of words spoken. If you still keep saying words at a Godlike rate, consider using appropriate methods, like drinking cold water (WITH NO ICE CUBES THAT LOOK LIKE DOTS!) or taking a fresh bath (WITH NO FILTER IN THE TAP WITH HOLES THAT LOOK LIKE DOTS!!).

Once you are calm enough, make sure that you are READY for situations that require urgency. Now back to the original topic, the majesty of dots.

Basically, a common dot's routine is to speak to the other trillions of dots worldwide. All these dots form a network of communication, where the data or matter they stopped and engulfed (yummy) is transmitted, including the most private of sentences. Keep in mind dots are still important, for without them, sentences would run wild on the world of data, and wreak havoc where those seem appropriate, like contracting mercenary pirates to rob your local shop. Discretion is advised when misusing dots! Once they are done, they digest the data or matter they engulfed into ink (or free bytes on your disk drive). In the former, this would then be distributed between the printers the dots share owners with. Which means the more sentences you end with dots, the more sentences you will be able to write, forming a vicious circle of infinite sentences from your printer; but the condition is you use dots.

Dots make the everyday life easier, and they have an array of choices they can do smartly to improve everyone's life; except those it stops and engulfs.

Coming soon, Chapter II: Exclamation Marks!

1 hour ago, cyan0s1s said:

Where are these stats you say you know about this ray gun and then don't even include in your lazily put together post? Am I suppose to go out my way to figure this out? Also do I even care? Clearly I cared enough to click this thread

I was totally on-board with this statement up until the end of this quoted segment. After that you lost me. No need for quite so much aggressiveness :)

To OP: the total turn-around on this thread is kinda funny, but everything (which is very little to begin with) that has transpired has been not because of the question; indeed it can be fun to nerd out from time to time on different franchise's stuff and how they compare to each other. This (unintended) derailment has everything to do with the way the question was posed. You have to understand that not everybody plays CoD, so actually telling us what we're comparing the bfg to would be the first step. If you are going to ask for research, you should 100% absolutely include some of your own, especially with that CoD gun we know nothing about.............. but even some stats on the bfg to give us the info you are using for your claim would be important (and it'd also be helpful for ppl who don't want to waste their time researching for the same figures you already got and based a claim on). On top of everything though, you ask for real work/time (read: research) to be done/spent on answering a question you yourself didn't even answer.

I know you're new here and I don't want to be one to turn you off this beautiful community, so I hope that helps put the responses you've received here into perspective. Once again, this topic wasn't a bad one, just the way it was handled ;)

7 minutes ago, Fonze said:

I was totally on-board with this statement up until the end of this quoted segment. After that you lost me. No need for quite so much aggressiveness :)

To OP: the total turn-around on this thread is kinda funny, but everything (which is very little to begin with) that has transpired has been not because of the question; indeed it can be fun to nerd out from time to time on different franchise's stuff and how they compare to each other. This (unintended) derailment has everything to do with the way the question was posed. You have to understand that not everybody plays CoD, so actually telling us what we're comparing the bfg to would be the first step. If you are going to ask for research, you should 100% absolutely include some of your own, especially with that CoD gun we know nothing about.............. but even some stats on the bfg to give us the info you are using for your claim would be important (and it'd also be helpful for ppl who don't want to waste their time researching for the same figures you already got and based a claim on). On top of everything though, you ask for real work/time (read: research) to be done/spent on answering a question you yourself didn't even answer.

I know you're new here and I don't want to be one to turn you off this beautiful community, so I hope that helps put the responses you've received here into perspective. Once again, this topic wasn't a bad one, just the way it was handled ;)

i just wanted for this thread to be fun! thats all... but thanks :D

You're welcome. Don't forget to link to some page explaining what is a Raygun...

and NEVER FORGET DA DOTS

The BFG is obviously more powerful AND efficient. The BFG can hit many enemies at once with tracers and has a much higher damage. The CoD Ray Gun only fires a single projectile and it has a very small area of effect.

That raygun looks fucking stupid.

Edit: the new BFG from Doom 2016 is absolutely wicked. It's huge
hqdefault.jpg
I don't even how it's possible to weild that thing.

It's soundfx is awesome. That firing sound specifically sounds so powerful.

And obviously, it's effect on monsters can be devastating.

Edited by Voros

I don't know about the Raygun but here we can talk the pros and cons of the BFG9000 for a month easily.

BFG theoretical max damage: 4280hp

COD gun theoretical max damage: 2500hp (according to a wiki page anyway)

Apparently the BFG cannot deal this theoretical max damage number in practice due to how Doom RNG works (anyone know how this mechanic affects the BFG exactly, and what the max practical damage is?) but even then, the gap is so massive that this is a complete no contest.

Now multiply the COD gun theoretical max damage by

Average health of COD enemies
---------------------------------
 Average health of Doom2 enemies

Oh, sweet! I think we have a winner.

But I think you forgot one weapon...

latest?cb=20160907022600&path-prefix=en

don't mind it has an open crack... that was Epic's fault and merely visual lol

XJ8isTQ.png

DA MATHS

The redeemer's practical damage at point-blank, latex_6fb8db5f1a5e7efbc95dea376516e197.p, is of 1500, and it's estimated range, latex_ea879d84fd80a179e811dd131614d56c.p, is of

latex_23bf8c39d69e680013b57bd44bd3db53.p

(extracted from available Epic UnrealScript source code) where 29 . The default lifespan, or max age, is of latex_f520303ff8b5be50fca14b82ea99dfd6.p, therefore when the current age (which is actually the seconds remaining of life, and not the other way around) is something tiny, like latex_ef61215252b706561210aab8f4168c22.p, latex_ea879d84fd80a179e811dd131614d56c.p equals to latex_aa328519b408aa481c30b766330e5003.p Unreal units.

Knowing that latex_c4b72f30452be0ecf05f15d0db7f421e.p we can calculate that the max range of the Redeemer, if it were in Doom, would be of approximately latex_cd9fe835df50c4d74d023d4894da9a79.p units, Wow, that's a lot! Now, the effective damage is of around

latex_4555287188e1352db9e32dd55cfb261f.p

where 100 is the average player health in Unreal and UT. The average of any numbers latex_1f4715d052f6400c149881245ff49e1e.p is always latex_ec32e214d84435a2805c6e440e974c25.p.

Many thanks to the Doom Wiki:

bSAdwfr.png

We can simply sum up these values, divide them by the number of monsters, and multiply them by latex_d6c9a6c885d14ea3f4cdc1f0eccde9c6.p

( Math Tip! The Real Effective Damage Factor, or latex_0181ef7f57be57b4f597eb5db82ecfc5.p, is equal to latex_ec32e214d84435a2805c6e440e974c25.p where latex_6b648e3ccb1966dacbc74679f77970a1.p is the health of the monster of index latex_dbf4729417dda52915ee871f7590b7df.p, in a list of size latex_d07613c6dec98e67c286fda4af293bec.p of monsters that appeared throughout the whole game, and latex_d07613c6dec98e67c286fda4af293bec.p is the number of such monsters. Unfortunately that is a bit too complex, and would probably involve reading Doom2.wad using some custom utility, which I could do in Python, but not in my favorite languages since libraries like Omgifol are rare.)

So the average of the healths in the table is latex_3ea534680118a3ff9ff554a2c260da20.p, which is latex_0ecc32c774f27a24069c3ee70fc82113.p (phew, almost triggered my phobia). Therefore we can multiply this number with latex_d6c9a6c885d14ea3f4cdc1f0eccde9c6.p and compare the result with the BFG's damage...

Ladies and gentlemen, the approximate damage of the Redeemer in Doom is...

latex_df2e5549d7676b52661d7c9083824bba.p

which is approximately latex_ccd1e53d4ffdb65fee5b428fc5540132.ptimes the damage inflicted by a BFG. Seems small, huh? I think the problem is that we divided the average player health from a multiplayer game, UT, by the average MONSTER health from Doom, which is way larger.

So let's fix this.

Let's square the number of monster types in Doom for our calculation:

latex_524423ac4544ed685d6448edbfbdd015.p

Which means we will divide by 18 twice to account for the low player health in UT.

latex_91dcc99018541747f7861464f7d5c32b.p

Yup, this is around the Shotgun Guy health and should be correctly equivalent to the thinny UT players which are not very easy, nor very hard to kill, for good reasons. (Although logically we could also multiply the normal average monster health by the average of the 1998 singleplayer Unreal's monster healths, which would be accurate, I'm tired of doing monster sums - Unreal has a giant bestiary!)

So let's redo our maths!

latex_ed7d8ccfe56afce19ac9eb49c05fd921.p

Seems large. But maybe it's too large. Once again, though, it's theoretical maths. After all, we all know that practically, with this thing, I don't have to aim!! (shitty Russian Overkill reference to the mod's weapon that ripped sprites from the UT Redeemer lol)

Edited by Gustavo6046

Having played both Doom and Black Ops 3, I can tell you without any mathematical equations that the raygun is just a glorified laser pistol that isn't even that fun to use.

Somebody please make a BFG-9000 mod for Call of Duty Zombies. if so, make the damage the same as the actual damage so we can try and see whats better!

@Gustavo6046 I sure am glad you're having fun doing math, but somewhere down the line the logic got swep away by the tides of formulas you used. ;-)

The moment you start to relativate each game's enemy-core values, you put everything in a vastly different perspective, which by the way goes against the idea of a direct comparison. You could "math up" the most ridiculous numbers at this point without actually saying anything about how strong a weapon really is.

Both weapons are made to outperform any other weapon in their respective "universe".

The simple fact of the matter is that the BFG can potentially kill +40 perfectly healthy doomguys with a single shot. Not only does it have the raw power to do so, it can also cover a large enough area for you to fit 40 people in to begin with.

How many perfectly healthy "whateverguys" can those peashooters potentially kill with a single shot or per second, if you want? If the answer is less than 40, then that's where all the math ends, and the BFG claims its crown as it should have from the get-go.

The BFG is strong in Doom. But it shouldn't meddle with stronger universes. Man, BFGs put their fat nose everywhere.

The redeemer might win in one regard: The BFG can only ever hit 41 things, with 1 ball and 40 traces. If there were 41 zombiemen lined up just right so that every one would get hit by a shot, they'd all die, but the moment a 42nd zombieman was added, he could walk out unscathed. With the redeemer or any really big rocket, something taking damage doesn't prevent something else from taking damage, so you might be able to pack in more than 41 things that would die to it.

Of course, the Redeemer can only ever have one rocket packed inside of it. The BFG on the other hand will have another ball out in a jiffy to take care of that 42nd zombieman with a smug expression on their face.