Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barons O' Fun

What's Your Best Personal Doom Achievement ?

Withstanding 100 or so extremely bad reviews out of probably 102 in 2003 and still being here to prove I love the game and will make better

Beating Doom'16 on nightmare with no upgrades I suppose. I need to replay D'16, burnt myself out on it a bit when it came out.

Spoiler

Hanging around the community this long without being kicked out

Oh, you want a real achievement? Uhhh...

Probably winning Buckshot's awesome contest that none of you lunatics were interested in. I cherish my Romero-signed D!ZONE box :)

This fucker without saving (never again). The first vile trap when you go up the stairs is so damn infuriatingly random, i hate it.

gtBr5ki.png

MLsmCSN.jpg

rjspace31 max. For Doom rocket jumping this is that final hurdle of a particular activity that levels you up so high that you think "holy shit, I did it", followed by "I don't have to do anything ever again", because you've reached zen. In an optimal case that time would probably be around an hour, but even at peak form I'd spend 20+ minutes attempting some of the jumps. And for now, there's no need to go into super sayan 3 training just yet.

- Released wads every year for the last 13 years.
- Recorded 65 hours of demos.
- Played all levels from 1994-2007 on /idgames in levels/doom2 (except /ports).

Just having fun my way is the best achievement. Although a good (healthy) achievement would be not touching anything Doom-related within 24 hours (?

47 minutes ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

- Played all levels from 1994-2007 on /idgames in levels/doom2 (except /ports).

Holy shit... I didn't even think that was possible. Unless you played them as they were released, of course.

I try to finish every commercial port of Doom out there, in the real console, last time I suffered through the frame rates of 3DO and Saturn and finished the damn things. Now I have to do SNES. I finished a lot of the smoother ones already (PS1, Jaguar, 32X).

I actually once did a full playthrough of Inferno (UV) and also of Thy Flesh Consumed (HMP) with no strafing at all for both.
Coming to how much I suck at playing legitimately, this is actually something for me to be proud of.

On 6/24/2017 at 2:54 AM, TFK said:

Shooting the cyberdemon with the pistol until it died.

I did it with a shotgun (not SSG) am I a bad enough dude still.

33 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

I did it with a shotgun (not SSG) am I a bad enough dude still.

Bad enough?! I bet badasses like you eat their elevenses at 10:55 straight!!

Getting the hang of wallrunning enough to where I can reliably do it 90% of the time had me feeling like a mini-badass, seeing as before it was always an accidental thing that I could quite never replicate. Beating Plutonia on UV with no saves might be a contender when I get over my fears and attempt to do it in the near future.

On 6/24/2017 at 6:16 AM, Jayextee said:

Having John Romero play one of my DOOM maps and judge it second place for a contest, I guess.

Mine too, but I didn't place as high as you. [Mind pointing us to your second-place finisher?]

I would consider my personal achievements to be the mods I've created. DooM has offered me a versatile platform and a creative outlet that somehow keeps giving.

I'm an average player, and as for player-related achievements, I'd count my ability (at least once upon a time) to complete each DooM & DooM2 map on UV with a pistol start and without saving. No speed runs, however.

1 hour ago, ReX said:

Mine too, but I didn't place as high as you. [Mind pointing us to your second-place finisher?]

It was E2M6. I made a thread here with everything I know. I should get around to that idgames upload at some point, that was a great moment of a darker time in this community. :)

500+ maps reviewed on my channel! I can't believe I'm still doing it after all these years. It was only supposed to be a little side project to pass time, but it's become one of my greatest sources of pride.

Right now, probably being able to pistol start all of the maps in E4 (no saves, obviously).

In the near future, hopefully having beaten Plutonia on UV without saves. Currently on level 15.

Neither are anything special compared to longtime players, but the bottom one especially would have seemed impossible to me just a year ago.