Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CzechMate29200

Your first map...what was it like?

What was your first map like? Tell us about it! 

Mine was ehh, terrible, like really bad... bad map design, bad enemy placement, trollmap-like instadeath traps, and such...i dont know what the hell i was thinking, hehe :P

My first and only wad is great. Yup I'm gonna call my own first map good. It's subjective anyway.

People who play it wouldn't know it. Heavy details, scripting, Slade and polish is damn good for a first.

Apparently the lighting and linear levels could use some work.

My first map ever finished and released was for the Dump 3 megawad...no kidding

Feast your eyes on this masterpiece! Complex layout, moody lighting and high-intensity BFG gameplay.

Looks like I made it brighter later.

Edited by Spectre01

I hear my first public map was cramped like something out of D! Zone.... and that's where I got inspiration. There was a large open air arena too. I got better, just not at the level others are on the forum.

Earliest maps I've made was a bunch of crappy 1994 looking maps back in 2003 made with Doomcad 6.1 which was lost forever in a hard drive crash on my very first PC sometime around early to mid 2008.

A garbage cavern maze full of hell knights, imps, pinkies and archviles. It was made of many different smaller sectors, each with annoyingly different properties. I made it with EdMap, a steaming pile of DOS instability. As I recall, I was 13 or 14 at the time. 

My first map didn't work. I always got a "Z_CheckHeap: block size does not touch the next block" error and couldn't find how to fix it, so I had to do another one. My second map go corrupted when I saved it. I didn't know what was in the .bak files that were saved with the same name as my map... I had to do another one... I had no other map editor than WadAuthor and it took me a while to figure out how everything worked. I discovered how to do doors and teleporters by trial and error. There were no tutorials explaining the line tagging system. Doom Builder didn't exist yet.

Edited by axdoomer

Mapping in the 90s was like the Wild West. All of you post-Doom Builder folks have no idea how good you have it. We had to use our imagination or load the map to see how our changes panned out. None of that 3D view mode malarkey. 

Just now, loveless said:

A hot mess with an arachnotron that may or may not teleport in.

I wish there was a more reliable way to make teleports. I hate it when a few monsters teleport in 5 minutes after the trap has been sprung.

13 minutes ago, TootsyBowl said:

I wish there was a more reliable way to make teleports. I hate it when a few monsters teleport in 5 minutes after the trap has been sprung.

I didn't know how to link sectors by sound so I did the ol' sound tube like in classic vanilla maps.  Didn't use staggered, redundant teleport lines either.  

My first map was a very short test map involving a STARTAN hallway, a single imp, a very badly textured secret room with DOORTRAK as the midtexture of the door, and a star-shaped exit room. It was like origwad but much, much worse. I made it when I was 13, had no idea what I was doing, and lost it to a hard drive crash since then.

Now, my first released map... (please ignore the text file, it's cringy as hell)

Here's an example of some teleport closets that have been working well for me. If the order of enemies spawning in doesn't matter, you should add extra teleport lines at the back like with the 'Trons there. If the order matters, i.e. I want the Cybers at the back to spawn in slightly after the Mancs, then I put them in a box where they can't shuffle around. Of course you could also use a separate closet and put whatever is blocking the teleport lines on a delay too.

MAP28 (edit area) at 2017.08.22 18-38-38.699 [R2787].jpg

It was plain as fuck.

Two not connected rooms, one made with DEU and textured of bigdoor3, the other was a broken sectors room made of nuke falls made with DCK back in 1997, from what I recall.

Hmm, it was (as expected), not very good. It had no doors as I didn't know how to make them so I had to make do without them. It had a few monsters and a shit load of resources (megaspheres, soulpsheres, cellpacks, a bfg, etc...you name it) and extremely bad texturing. 

I did start with DB1 though so I guess I'm not THAT old school but, it was about 8 years ago so, quite a while :D

Looked like Wolfenstein. Everything orthogonal. Concepts were drawn on grid paper and I still have that exercise book at my parents place. It was part of wad that had few levels.

1) Had red bricks and blue floor and 1 key I think

2) GRAY1, 3 keys, bigger

3) cobblestone texture, BSTONE I think and I remember there was a fireplace with fire texture

4) realistic map of our flat - wasnt made by me but by my dad. Looked good for 1997 map

5) I tried to make big stairs in open space and got visplane overflow. Didnt understand it at the moment :D

...I didnt even finished that one, I was 7 or something. There were more maps drawn in exercise book, like 8 total I think.

I released my first map like I imagined it, so I find it to be good.

But once before, I had a failed attempt at creating a map (I couldn't make working doors at the time). I had built a few rooms and decorated them in an ugly way. And I had placed a few enemies. Then, I reused those rooms as the beginning of a new map I am making, because I wouldn't want that progress to be completely lost (it was not much, but still).

I did it just to check out how doom builder works

This was my first map ever, no missing textures i believe but everything was awful.

(Also, this wad works on Doom/Ultimate doom)

Primer mapa yay.zip

It was an edited version of entryway. I added liquid everywhere, for some reason I was obsessed with liquid flats as a kid. I also spammed enemies, the outside area with the imps had a bunch of masterminds in it. This was well before I'd ever played Go 2 It or anything. Garbage, but it was a learning experience!