Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clay

Issue with deleting map.

Question

SLADE 3:

I have 4 maps in my pwad and the wad I am patching has 32. I tried to delete my MAP05 because it is in UDMF and I want to use a different format. Things seemed fine until i went to open map editor just to see there was a 5th map only it was no longer (U)MAP05 but (U) SLIME_13 (which is a flat I use). I cannot seem to get rid of it. I Also get left with lots of "unknown" lumps which are just copies of many of my flats and textures(Not all are even used in any of my levels).

Has anyone experienced this?

Edited by DemonusDefunctus

26 answers to this question

You must have deleted either too few or too many lumps when you tried to delete MAP05. Also, put your flats between flat markers, then SLADE3 will identify them as flats instead of labeling them as unknown.

28 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

You must have deleted either too few or too many lumps when you tried to delete MAP05. Also, put your flats between flat markers, then SLADE3 will identify them as flats instead of labeling them as unknown.

There were no data/lumps for that map other than the map marker, like shown in the photo.

Untitled.jpg

Is that really how the wad's contents looked like before you did any changes to them in SLADE3? What exactly do you mean when you say that you're "patching" a wad with 32 maps?

I was being redundant with the information. I am modding brutal doom starter pack.

The image is of my wad file after sorting by map files beneath the list . It is probably super noob-like of me...but my set up is to have my wad dropped into gz doom...only one would require a modified hellonearthstarterpack.wad to replace the one given by Mark.

By any chance, did you have the same wad open in both SLADE3 and GZDB at the same time? If you did and saved changes to the wad in both programs, it would corrupt the wad.

Edited by scifista42

Well, the only safe way to edit the same wad in both programs simultaneously is to open the wad in SLADE3 first and use SLADE3's feature "Open map in Doom Builder" to open it in another map editor, then SLADE3 will automatically make sure that the wad won't get corrupted when changes are made to it in either program.

Well, I open in with open Archive>Map Editor.

Edited by DemonusDefunctus : Grammer/Spelling

"Archive -> Map Editor" opens the wad in SLADE3's built-in map editor, which is safe by itself. The bad thing to do is to use another map editor (like GZDB) without SLADE3 knowing about it.

OK. I don't have anything else installed...so I should be safe from corruption at least. So WTH?!

I cannot get rid of the UDMF MAP05.

I wasn't even concerned with deleting it yet but when going from map 4 to 5 it open Mark's map 5 instead. It is strange because I was able to successfully override his until now.

I'm inclined to think that I was wrong in my previous statement and that doing changes to the wad while having any of its map open in SLADE3's own map editor is probably not really safe from corruption.

Well I have backups. I could open one of those up and see if I am still unable to delete the extra map.

Also...Should I bring the MAPINFO from the hellonearthstarterpack.wad over into my wad for editing instead? I have been editing Mark's file.

I would've used Deutex for this. Namely
- extract the hellonearthstarterpack.wad

- extract the 4 map PWAD with the

-overwrite

command. This'll replace the extracted MAP01 to MAP04 with the new MAP01 to MAP04.

- rebuild the hellonearthstaterpack.wad to incorporate these new changes.

4 minutes ago, Voros said:

I would've used Deutex for this. Namely
- extract the hellonearthstarterpack.wad

- extract the 4 map PWAD with the

-overwrite

command. This'll replace the extracted MAP01 to MAP04 with the new MAP01 to MAP04.

- rebuild the hellonearthstaterpack.wad to incorporate these new changes.

OK, that for the moment is way beyond me. I only started this to make a map pack. 

Could I get anywhere by deleting map declarations in Mark's WAD that I have yet to use and add later as needed? I mean does his mapinfo conflict with what I am trying to acheive?

IDK what else you have in your WAD, so I can't say for sure.

Deutex is easy to use and probably suited for this situation (it automatically handles things like markers, merging two WADs into one, etc). Hell, I'll give you step-by-step instructions if you're willing to use it.

Could I get at you tomorrow about it? I have been up for over 28 hours. I run an online business and work nights.

I am eager to learn. I appreciate your willingness to help.

13 minutes ago, DemonusDefunctus said:

Also...Should I bring the MAPINFO from the hellonearthstarterpack.wad over into my wad for editing instead? I have been editing Mark's file.

I don't see why you're modifying 2 wads instead of modifying just one and merely copying stuff from the other (someone else's) wad to the first (your) one. Anyway, it's up to you.

4 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

I don't see why you're modifying 2 wads instead of modifying just one and merely copying stuff from the other (someone else's) wad to the first (your) one. Anyway, it's up to you.

I get you, believe me. But I would not have the first clue how to get there with Mark's WAD.

Maybe I should just edit his?

5 minutes ago, DemonusDefunctus said:

Maybe I should just edit his?

If it's easier for you to work that way, why not. Also:

19 minutes ago, DemonusDefunctus said:

Could I get at you tomorrow about it? I have been up for over 28 hours.

The very idea of an internet forum is that communication does not need to happen in real time. Threads and posts stay here for everybody to read and reply to at any time in the future. Nobody cares if you leave for an hour, a day, a week, a year, or forever.

I understand that. This i not even close to my first forum. I was asking you because I do not know you or your schedule. I was trying to be considerate. Though I guess the general rules still apply, so I will concede your point. Thanks.

I'm online pretty much everyday, so no issues here. Better to chat via PM though.

Just now, Voros said:

I'm online pretty much everyday, so no issues here.

Thanks man. before I jet off to bed, how would I properly import maps into a WAD using slade? Or would it be best to use Deutex?

Just copy the specific map's lumps in one wad and paste them into another wad. If the map is in Doom format, the map's lumps range from the map marker to BLOCKMAP. If it's in Hexen format, they range from the map marker to BEHAVIOR/SCRIPTS. If it's in UDMF, they range from the map marker to ENDMAP.

On 22/8/2017 at 2:20 PM, DemonusDefunctus said:

SLADE 3:

I have 4 maps in my pwad and the wad I am patching has 32. I tried to delete my MAP05 because it is in UDMF and I want to use a different format. Things seemed fine until i went to open map editor just to see there was a 5th Tibet 3D Pro map only it was no longer (U)MAP05 but (U) SLIME_13 (which is a flat I use). I cannot seem to get rid of it. I Also get left with lots of "unknown" lumps which are just copies of many of my flats and textures(Not all are even used in any of my levels).

Has anyone experienced this?

I've experienced the same situation, even more serious. I also need your help to solve this issue