Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Capital or lowercase letters in the filename?

I have a small question about filename aesthetics. You can name your wad file DEMONS.WAD, demons.wad, Demons.wad, or perhaps in some other way. Which do you prefer?

For some reason I gravitate towards all capital letters. Maybe because that was the most common convention in the 90's, which I'm a fan of. It also seems more stylish in a way. All lowercase looks decent too but I think I don't like it when people mix both.

i only play wads with filenames like ໓ē๓໐ຖŞ.ຟค໓ or ๔є๓๏ภร.ฬค๔ or 𝔡𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔫𝔰.𝔴𝔞𝔡

anything else is simply garbage

Well I sometimes feel the urge to name them "misadvnt.WAD" or "abhornce.WAD" with lowercase but WAD in uppercase as I always do that in my posts.

Demons.wad for me. I find it to be perfect in the way it looks and it seems quite clean. 

All capital letters seem too much IN YOUR FACE!!!

And all lowercase letters, seems to be too light.

However, capital letters only at the start of a word seem like the most balanced option.

Letters and numbers are overrated,so I use emoticons instead, for example >:D.wad

10 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Letters and numbers are overrated,so I use emoticons instead, for example >:D.wad

Good luck with getting your OS of choice to accept that as a valid filename ;-)

jebenabudala.wad

absolutnikreten.pk3

banovanmijestatusupdate.iwad

Lower case seems kinda cool, like: "This file is a absolute masterpiece, but having it in lower case means it is only a fraction of my total power".

Meanwhile: KOJIKURACEJ.WAD feels like I a 90's texture conversion for Wolf3D.

Supacrista.wad seems like a standalone game at this point.

It depends honestly :P

10 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

jebenabudala.wad

absolutnikreten.pk3

banovanmijestatusupdate.iwad

Lower case seems kinda cool, like: "This file is a absolute masterpiece, but having it in lower case means it is only a fraction of my total power".

Meanwhile: KOJIKURACEJ.WAD feels like I a 90's texture conversion for Wolf3D.

Supacrista.wad seems like a standalone game at this point.

It depends honestly :P

Dammit why do I understand this

I prefer all lowercase, although starting with a capital letter is okay. Reason being, I always run from the command line, and I like to use tab completion. My version of linux doesn't find "SCYTHE.WAD" if I type "s<tab>", but it will if I type "S<tab>".

P.S. I did not intend to write the word "stab" when I started this post.

23 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Good luck with getting your OS of choice to accept that as a valid filename ;-)

That's totally a valid filename on Linux.

Anyway, lowercase for me. If the name isn't limited to 8 characters, I usually spell out whole words separated by dashes as well.

Both. But when a filename with both lower- and uppercase letters is saved as only lowercase (e.g. on Windows), I hate that.

If the name is short and/or single-word, either "all lowercase" or "all uppercase" or "first letter uppercase, rest lowercase" is equally good. If the name is both long and multi-word, ideally write the first letters of each word uppercase and the remaining letters lowercase.

You know, this sort of reminds me of the different styles of naming things in programming languages.  Like I see a lot of all lowercase with words_separated_by_underscores in C, and a lot of CamelCase and mixedCamelCase in C# and Java.  I also wonder if some of these preferences for filename styles is partially influenced by the OSes use, the programming languages we use, or both.  Like I tend to use Common Lisp style in all of my filenames (words-separated-by-dashes.wad) unless I can abbreviate it really easily (sotnr.pk3), and tend to favor lowercase because of my near constant use of Linux (which is almost exclusively case-sensitive).

So.... maybe people who grew up with Windows or DOS don't hold as much importance past aesthetics to upper vs lower case file names?

Just some random early morning thoughts on the matter.

Lowercase. Always lowercase.

The Ultimate Simpsons DOOM 3.0 written by Michael J. Hardy - Copy - Copy (2) - Copy (Michael's conflicted copy 2009-03-27).wad.backup3

JaJaJaJaJaJa.wad

I dunno I just name shit whatever my fingers smash on the keyboard- or random words such as "xbutts" relating to texture usage or just how I'm feeling that day- "pileofshit.wad"

The .wad filename doesn't matter to me as long as it's zipped, in which I'll be renaming the zip file to something intelligible like BackToSaturnXEp1.zip or whatever.

21 minutes ago, Salt-Man Z said:

The .wad filename doesn't matter to me as long as it's zipped, in which I'll be renaming the zip file to something intelligible like BackToSaturnXEp1.zip or whatever.

The zip file must have the same name as the wad file, or it will confuse tools like GetWad or WadSeeker.