Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AirRaid

Uh, petition to John Carmack about a usekey

For some reason Mac wanted me to post this... so blah.

but seriously we should sign a petition and address issues whcih are of concern to us all...i.e. most of u guys said use key...some said AI...but its a start...
:P

Yeah. We're gonna do that. We just need (a lot) more email addresses to add before we send it... So um, yeah. Support would be nice.

I'll say this once: this is a stupid idea. The game is being designed so that it doesn't need the use key. I imagine that doors will be opened by crossing a certain point, and turning on machines and such seems to be all done from control panels. Let me clarify this for those of you who are afraid that your gun being lowered when you get close to the panel will happen in a firefight... From what I have seen, you have to be pretty close to a panel to switch to activation mode, and I seriously doubt that you'll switch to that mode if you aren't directly facing the console, and all evidence I have seen so far seems to back me up on this.

If you insist on pestering Carmack about something as trivial as this, then so be it. I stand firmly on my belief that it's a foolish thing to do. A use key isn't needed, and I think you should have a little more faith that the guys at id know what they're doing.

I ask again: Why pick on Carmack? Why not pester someone who's actually designing the game?

romero has said he realizes it was a mistake to remove the use key, and the "no hands" approach was probably his idea in the first place. he wants a copy of the actual petition before he'll put his name on it though. i also agree with IMjack, just because john carmack is the boss at id doesn't mean he had anything to do with the decision. he's only the lead programmer. maybe this should be sent to graeme devine or someone in design instead.

He's not even the boss, just one of three co-owners and the "technology supervisor". Todd H. is the CEO.

I agree with EllipsusD^ I doubt they would remove the use key without taking serious consideration of how they're going to replace its function, and making the solution just as good as, or better than, the way the use key used to function. When the game comes out, it may take a short amount of time for some people to adjust to it, but it won't be a serious problem, and eventually you'll be so used to it that when you play a game that does have a use key it'll feel weird because you're so used to not having one.

AirRaid said:
Yeah. We're gonna do that.

Go ahead, it will accomplish nothing.

We just need (a lot) more email addresses to add before we send it...

You're certainly not getting mine.

So um, yeah. Support would be nice.

Yeah, it would, wouldn't it? I hardly doubt you'll get very many supporters considering the fact that most of us have lived without a usekey in many games and Doom 3 doesn't need to go back in time, it is moving forward.

uhhhh,
i was not emphasizing on use key...that in my opinion is not the issue...what i am saying is we sign a petition about an issue that is a concern to us all...that is what i meant...
and send it to a person who is directly responsible for that specific issue...imo usekey is not an issue, it was not in quake and i loved that game more than anything else and i had no problems with it

yeah but the difference is that in doom3, they want to have you go up to a lot of computer panels and such.. and you automatically lower your weapon and then have to move the mouse to hit buttons.. while gameplay continues on.. this seems pretty sketchy imo

sargebaldy said:

yeah but the difference is that in doom3, they want to have you go up to a lot of computer panels and such.. and you automatically lower your weapon and then have to move the mouse to hit buttons.. while gameplay continues on.. this seems pretty sketchy imo

IMO that adds to the realism, I mean, when you use an ATM, does all time stop just for you? Nope. So why would it stop when you have to access a keypad or computer terminal?

bbg.. i don't mean that the game should stop.. i mean you should actually TELL the game when to use the keypad. in real life, when you go near a keypad, you aren't forced to drop everything you're holding and have to press in a keycode.

sargebaldy said:

bbg.. i don't mean that the game should stop.. i mean you should actually TELL the game when to use the keypad. in real life, when you go near a keypad, you aren't forced to drop everything you're holding and have to press in a keycode.

I think that you don't automatically go to the keypad screen, IIRC, you use the mouse, or is that for when you are in the keypad screen?

Afaik, it’s being designed so that your weapon will lower when you walk up to a console and enter “manipulation mode”, but you can at all times back away from the console by pressing the back key. If they do it right, you’ll be able to quickly move out of the way if you accidentally stepped up to the console while in a firefight, so that it would barely disturb you.
It would of cause be annoying if this “manipulation mode” briefly “locks” you to the place, so let’s at least hope that it won’t.

Ok here is how I think they should do it, the menu pops up and a cursor appears BUT it doesn't lock you in place, so if you run by a keypad, you'll see it flash up but you keep running it just goes away.

IMJack said:

He's not even the boss, just one of three co-owners and the "technology supervisor". Todd H. is the CEO.

Uh... what does the CEO of id Software have to do with the use key? Anyway, go back to reading the article... it tells us how the decision was reached, and even sort of quotes John Carmack. Did Tom Hollenshed just hire you as spokesman of id or something?

And what's that idea that CEOs are "the boss" in a company. The bosses are the principal owners. A CEO is an administrative position who takes care of the commercial and corporate crap, not game design details.

Yeah, and they never work. I've seen so many online petitions ranging from getting reruns of Transformers back on the air to asking the government to launch a nuke at the moon to see what it would do.

Dark-tenshi said:

let's see that how GUI interface work before criticize about it.

I agree. Maybe they just implemented the whole thing in a useful and practical way and we just can´t judge it at this time, without play-testing it by ourselfes.

doomedout said:

what i am saying is we sign a petition about an issue that is a concern to us all...

Then you don't know what you're talking about, since the Doom3 devolpment concerns only the guys at id. End of story.

bigbadgangsta said:

IMO that adds to the realism, I mean, when you use an ATM, does all time stop just for you? Nope. So why would it stop when you have to access a keypad or computer terminal?

Because a game isn't real life, that's why. I prefer a use key too, and outside this forum, almost everyone agrees with me. Just go here if you want to see for yourself, http://forums.3drealms.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=006253

(A 3drealms forum, ie. Duke Nukem Forever, incidentally some have a bias against id software in general)

gatewatcher stfu...you obviously have major comprehension problems and can't prevent that tingling itch to find everything i say contentious and pointless...each of us have a different opinion so respect it...i said from the beginning that usekey was not an issue with quake because ID worked their way around it, and wiht that in hindsight i am positive that ID will have a way around it, what i was saying from before is if there is an issue whihc is a concern FOR US...emphasis on the word US...then we should go write a petition and see what id have to say...that way it shows we are concerned with the development of their game as well...but seriously 90% of the ppl are concerned with the use button and the effect it has on interaction....

The whole petition thing is pointless, that's all there is to it. It's not a concern, it's a nag. It won't make the game better, it will make the game "gimmicky" according to Carmack. So, it boils down to who knows what they're talking about best, Carmack or doomedout. Carmack wins, flawless victory.

EDIT: Use key poll

Ok, its like this now, after watching the video again, I can conclude that not having the use key isnt a bad thing, I know alot of us would RATHER have a use key in it, but the way it looks it doesnt look like a problem, I say we actually play it and give it a chance before we rag on it, so I hereby withhold the petition until after the game is released.

And besides with the modding tools, im sure you'll be able to code it in somehow into a tiny little mod if you want.

MaCvILeWhOrE said:

And besides with the modding tools, im sure you'll be able to code it in somehow into a tiny little mod if you want.

Exactly. Someone will make a "Classic Doom" mod.

Lengis said:

Because a game isn't real life, that's why. I prefer a use key too, and outside this forum, almost everyone agrees with me. Just go here if you want to see for yourself, http://forums.3drealms.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=006253

(A 3drealms forum, ie. Duke Nukem Forever, incidentally some have a bias against id software in general)

Kids whining about id-software.... they dont have anything else to talk about due DNF which takes forever lol.