Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
antares031

Shadow Warrior 2013 is available for free until Aug 23rd 10AM PT

Is it free as in I download it within this time window and I get to keep it free forever, or Free™ as in free until its no longer free?

I know GOG does the former from time to time but I don't know about Steam.

4 hours ago, Red said:

Is it free as in I download it within this time window and I get to keep it free forever, or Free™ as in free until its no longer free?

I know GOG does the former from time to time but I don't know about Steam.

Did you read the description on Steam?

"Free permanent copy of Shadow Warrior! Available until August 23rd 10AM Pacific."

That being said, I bought it at launch; and I've never finished it. I'm working on that right now. When it came out my computer was too crappy to run it at a consistent frame rate, when I got a new computer I still had a huge backlog of other games. Additionally whenever I tried going back to Shadow Warrior 2013 I would get some decent progression in it, then get distracted by something else for a few weeks, and when I went back my save game was corrupted. I think it had to do with updates causing issues with save files, I don't really know. But I had tried to get through it multiple times.

This time though, I'm almost at the end, and it's a fantastic game. The combat isn't as fluid as Shadow Warrior 2, the stamina based run is annoying, and most of the firearms kind of suck. But the katana combat is great, and I do feel the structured levels work quite a bit better than Shadow Warrior 2's "sand box" levels. It feels more cohesive, more like I'm making progress. In Shadow Warrior 2 you really get sick of going back to the same levels which, while large, are still the same damn 4 or 5 levels over and over for almost all the story and side missions.

So yeah, for free, if you don't have it, get it. It is in fact a really damn enjoyable game, if a bit repetitive at times. And if your saves don't become corrupted for no apparent reason. But that hasn't happened on my current play through, so... fingers crossed.

11 minutes ago, Jello said:

Did you read the description on Steam?

"Free permanent copy of Shadow Warrior! Available until August 23rd 10AM Pacific."

Ah, I'm a dumbass, thanks friend.

8ac0c86e6ab0ddbe31cc51de042a297014994372

2 hours ago, Red said:

Ah, I'm a dumbass, thanks friend.

Anything for a fellow reanimated corpse. Zombies and skeletons don't need to fight. Don't call me a meat bag and I won't call you a bag of 

Edited by Jello : Removed the quoted image.

awesome gonna get it now!

hmm it's 13 gb... and i don't think that my laptop can handle it...well i will try it out on my pc later then

I am still pissed that the developers didn't release the editor for this game despite their previous promises. However I find this game a bit boring now.

Shadow Warrior 2 is also discounted, coming in at 19.99 USD.

Funnily enough though, if you buy the Shadow Warrior collection (Shadow Warrior Redux, Shadow Warrior (2013), and Shadow Warrior 2) it's 17.99

*edit* Ignore the bundle part, it's cheaper for me because I already own Redux X(

And the original non-Redux version of Shadow Warrior is still permanently free on Steam and GoG.

What motivates companies to do stuff like this? Is it just a genuinely nice move or are they expecting it to boost the future sales somehow?

8 minutes ago, Memfis said:

What motivates companies to do stuff like this?

Probably the developers think like this: "Hey, that game of ours is pretty old and its sales have been reduced lately. Why don't we just release it for free, so that people like us more and become satisfied customers, that buy more often our newer expensive games?"

Anyways, no matter the reason they are doing this, getting a game for free can never be bad thing for the consumer. :)

And I don't think it is that influential of a move to be honest. I remember getting some classics from Origin for free (Simcity 2000 and Theme Hospital), yet I didn't start buying any EA game I could find in front of me, just because they gave me 2 games for free.

Yeah its pretty much a combination of PR and reviving positive word of mouth (and with it sales) for the game/sequel when the offer passes up.

5 hours ago, Memfis said:

What motivates companies to do stuff like this? Is it just a genuinely nice move or are they expecting it to boost the future sales somehow?

If someone grabs this free copy and gives it a whirl, there's a chance they'll like it. If they like it, there's a better chance they'll finish it. If they finish it, there's a pretty damn good chance they'll go out and buy the sequel and become a fan.