Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
42PercentHealth

Dumb Noob Questions

Hey y'all,

I've just installed Zandronum/Doomseeker, never used them before, so I've got some obligatory new-guy questions. First, what's a decent ping number? I've got everything from 141 to <no response>, but I'm not sure what makes a good rule-of-thumb ceiling value... What's considered "no longer playable?"

Second, I know what deathmatch, co-op, and CTF are. What are "survival", "team LMS", and "invasion"?

Third, anyone wanna jump on a server and wreck a noob? ;-)

1) People regularly play with up to 180 ping. It depends more on packetloss and server quality. You'll have to see which servers are best for you, and trying out unlagged types. There are gametic and ping based unlagged choices. Optimal ping is 30 or less, good is 31-80, alright is 81-120, 121 upwards is starting to be iffy imo.

2)Survival is coop but with a designated number of lives

Team Last Man Standing is generally team based pvp with a designated number of lives

Invasion is where maps are based on "waves" of monsters. Maps typically expand with each new wave, new weapons, new monsters

3) maybe, depends on the server

On break at work atm so can't play (sadly) but as far as ping goes, 200 or lower is best for DM/CTF, but really it depends how it feels for you.

Far as game modes go, survival is co-op but with a set number of lives, Team LMS is last man standing but with teams, and invasion is a gamemode where waves of enemies invade the map as opposed to being pre-placed.

Doomshack, TSPG, NJ, and GV (texas) are all fine servers for you, ping-wise. Are you more of a FFA or 1v1 player

Not sure, actually. Probably FFA, though 1v1 might be less overwhelming for a first game.

Oddly, I refreshed the server list and now I'm seeing lots of servers with ping rates below 100 ms. :-)

just jump in a server and people might join, that's typically the easiest way to go

Hang out in discord / IRC too, often people keen to play there as well. The multiplayer tutorial has plenty of good IRC rooms and theres a stickied thread dedicated to discord stuff as well. Hope to see you in a server some time on the weekends!