Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Red

Things you've been mispronouncing for so long like god damn idiot

Things I didn't know I mispronounced until I got married:

Museum - I pronounce it "mu-ZAM" as opposed to "mu-ZEE-am".

Camry (the Toyota car) - I say "CAM-ray" and I'm apparently wrong even after having owned two of them. "CAM-ree"!

13 minutes ago, stru said:

And wait, Linguica is not Lin-gwih-ka? What does Lin-gweese-uh mean anyway?

I found out by listening to Alfonzo's interview with him. It's some kind of Polish sausage, IIRC.

A looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago, my mom told me that i used to pronounce blue as bazooki...

18 minutes ago, stru said:

Holy shit, you just opened my eyes. I never thought about that before. 

And wait, Linguica is not Lin-gwih-ka? What does Lin-gweese-uh mean anyway?

My entire life is a lie.

A lot more than I thought thanks to my S/O correcting me on some (can't recall all of them right now), either because I don't use them enough in daily speech or simply never said it aloud period. I am an excellent typist for the most part and have typed every word I've pronounced wrong without problems.

I always pronounce plague

wrong. I say it with a soft A (pl-aa-g) instead of the proper hard a (pl-ay-g).

I've pronounced Descent like Deskent... but should probably be like Dis-send. Ascend I pronounce like ass-send. Cyber I used to pronounce like Kyber, but then I heard its like Saiber. Günther Hermann sounds kind of similar to how I used to pronounce Cyberdemon. I know it's not with ü...

6 hours ago, Impie said:

If anyone worries about mispronouncing H P Lovecraft monster names, don't. Lovecraft himself pronounced them differently every time someone asked him, to preserve the "lost ancient civilization no one really understands" effect of his creations. So if any hipster tries to correct your pronunciation of Cthulhu, Nyarlathotep, Yog-Sothoth, etc, enlighten them with that bit of trivia. Cos they're full of shit.

Oh the only one who ever gets on my case about it is me. I tend to be hard on myself like that when it comes to the pronunciation of certain words.

3 hours ago, stru said:

Anyway, just today I got a drink from the grocery store called Kombucha which is like a carbonated fermented tea. Is it Kom-Boo-Ka? Kom-Buck-Uh? Kom-Buh-Chah? People ask me what I'm drinking and I just tell them some shit from the organic aisle at Stop & Shop. 

It's a Japanese word, so it's "comb-boo-chah", with that CH being like in " choose" and the final syllable rhyming with "ahh...."

Edited by YukiRaven : typo from typing on my phone

Some words can sound similar like "eye" and "I" and the same can be said to other languages like in my case (in spanish) for "has" and "haz"...

As a youngin, I said heretic like "her-tick", which would most times come out sounding like "her-dick"...

Also as a youngin', hospital was "hos-beh-dal".

I once hated the word "chicken" so hard (I am not a native english speaker) I pronounced it and wrote it as "chucken" on purpose because "chucken" sounded more natural to me somehow. Either way I had to stop when I caught myself writing myself "you fucking chucken" in a Facebook comment.

2 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

I found out by listening to Alfonzo's interview with him. It's some kind of Polish sausage, IIRC.

Link the interview! I always thought this guy was Chilean or some sort of central/south american. It always hit me as hispanic. 

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

Some words can sound similar like "eye" and "I" and the same can be said to other languages like in my case (in spanish) for "has" and "haz"...

I'm pretty sure thats called rhyming... (Sorry if that didn't make any grammatical sense.)

3 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Yeah, just recently learned that "Linguica" is pronounced "lin-GWEESE-uh", and not "LEAN-gwick-uh".

I still mentally pronouce it 'Linguina'.

4 minutes ago, elsaltaccount#9999 said:

I'm pretty sure thats called rhyming... (Sorry if that didn't make any grammatical sense.)

Rhyming words don't have to have the same beginning sound -- they just have to sound the same from the vowel of the stressed syllable onward. (So "eye", "pie", "thigh", "rye", and "alibi" all rhyme.)

Words that sound identical throughout are called "homophones." (E.g. I/eye, pain/pane, flee/flea, etc.)

Words that are spelled identically but have different meanings are called "homonyms" (E.g. game = something played for fun or to challenge oneself, or the stuff one brings back from a hunting trip. Hail = balls of ice falling out of the sky, or to salute in honor.)

The people who pronounce "Cocodemon" always make me laugh. Along with the people that put R in wash. warsh.

9 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

I still pronounce "gib" with a hard G.

Isn't that the correct way. Just like I spell gif.

2 minutes ago, geo said:

The people who pronounce "Cocodemon" always make me laugh. Along with the people that put R in wash. warsh.

Actually, I have a bad habit of calling the mancubus a "muh-cum-bus" and the revenant a "rev-not". I think this is because the kid who introduced me to Doom mispronounced them the same way.

Just now, rodster said:

Isn't that the correct way. Just like I spell gif.

It isn't. The term derives from giblets. 

3 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

I laugh every time an American mispronounces "nuclear". 

Every fucking time my blood boils with unrelenting anger that outshines a million dying stars 

8 hours ago, dew said:

id software. I keep saying eye dee even on streams and podcasts and I always realize it a picosecond too late.

"IT software" doesn't make any sense to me lol. I thought it's pronounced Eye-Dee software because of ID = Identification.

I remember someone once got miffed with me for correctly pronouncing the word "laboratory". He said my pronunciation made me sound like a nerd. Personally, I think the correct pronunciation sounds far better than saying "labratory". 

@rodster "id" as in id, ego, and superego. One of the finest names ever for a video game development group. 

As for the pronunciation of "gib," I think it follows the rule inherited from the Romantic languages -- soft 'g' precedes e, i, and y; hard 'g' precedes all other vowels and consanants.

Of course, there are exceptions (give/gift, gear, get, gynecology, etc.).