Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Teivman

Half-Life 2: Episode 3 story released by Writer of the series.

Very interesting. I don't want to spoil anything but I'm curious if this is supposed to be conclusive.

Also how legitimate is this?

Just now, Chezza said:

Very interesting. I don't want to spoil anything but I'm curious if this is supposed to be conclusive.

Also how legitimate is this?

marc Laidlaw posted this onto his website. Of course to get out valve hitting the copyright button he added some typos, Such as mistyping the names of the chars ect. The version i posted was corrected to correct the names.

seems like this was kept away from the audience for so long that they stopped caring, seeing Valve focus more on steam and their other Multiplayer games, understandable because that's where the money is at, Shame we won't get a full experience.

Spoiler

Alyx had not seen the cryptical schoolmarm since childhood, but she recognized hi, instantly. "Come along with me now, we've places to be and things to do," said G-Man, and Alyx acquiesced. She followed the strange grey man out of the Borealis, out of our reality.

Is Alyx really dead ?

I leave you to it. Expect no further correspondence from me regarding these matters; this is my final episode.

This implies that other episodes won't have Gordon Freeman, or this is simply how the series is concluded, The Half-Life series is about Human kind resisting to re-claim control of earth, from Combines or Xen forces, I suppose with both no longer considered threats, the series is concluded, there might've been another series or something after these events.

Strange story, seems excessively strange to have it told to us by Gordan rather than through him.

If it is legit though, then we actually got to see an overworld of the combine and I wish it was more detailed in its description.

For me this is kinda like breaking off a relationship that had died a long time ago. Sadness but also relief, we all knew deep down half life was dead and this finally confirms it. 

46 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Strange story, seems excessively strange to have it told to us by Gordan rather than through him.

If it is legit though, then we actually got to see an overworld of the combine and I wish it was more detailed in its description.

Well if gordon was writing about the events he was in he would write about it in a first person perspective. From what i have seen, the story of the first half life game was written in the same way that this story was. 

Well it became pretty obvious when they didn't even wanna talk about it anymore. I wish they would have just told us. I mean I would rather have the truth than them pussy footing around. I don't hate them for that, I just wish they would be upfront. But we all know how gamers are, so maybe they feared massive backlash. There's not much more to say or do with Half Life anyway. Would rather it die than drag on for ages on life support. 

LET'S MAKE IT IN DOOM!

Valve wanted a Sea Change. They didn't give it. They are only human. If I were them and had to read the cesspool that some call criticism, that fanboys and haters alike write about their stories, employees and games, I wouldn't release it either. How's that for a reality check. "We program games and create art. You complain about it in your basement. Fuck you!" Sounds like a legit response.

There's too much pressure on Valve to create a new HL.

The real kicker is that if they released it on god damn time, the expectations would have never ballooned to this large a level 

Why is everyone so surprised and dissapointed lol

Even I as a diehard half-life fan knew there wasn't going to be the third episode. Valve deals with making popular mods standalone games, it's their bread and butter.

Counter-strike? Started as a mod.

Dota? Started as a mod.

Team Fortress? Started as a mod.

Left 4 Dead? Started as a mod.

They said the guy who made the MINERVA mod had been hired to work on Episode 3, ask him then.

Also, if someone would want to see the Borealis, play the "Missing Information" mod for Half Life 2. There are few levels dealing with the adventures inside the titular ship, although with no cool teleportational stuff mentioned in the document above, and you only go along with a guy named "Odell".

Who is to blame the dissappearence of Half Life 3? It isn't Valve, but whoever leaked Half Life 2 while it was still in the production. Because of that asshole, they had to swamp out the entire game and delete/replace most, if not all the stuff, which also involved the Borealis arc, and a satisfying end to the serie.

Heh, ironic. Almost feels like we are in a timeline that went wrong. If only someone could dial back to September 2003, find the hacker and stop him before he leaks the files... Who knows what kind of a world would we live in?

7 minutes ago, Era Di Cate said:

Who is to blame the dissappearence of Half Life 3? It isn't Valve, but whoever leaked Half Life 2 while it was still in the production. Because of that asshole, they had to swamp out the entire game and delete/replace most, if not all the stuff, which also involved the Borealis arc, and a satisfying end to the serie.

i'm pretty certain most of that stuff was already cut by the time of the leak. The borealis was, at least. The leak only had its content since it contained the source almost every map made for hl2 up to that point.

also marc laidlaw is referring to the official thing as a "genderswap fanfic" and "something he had in a dream a while ago", so I have no idea if this is the actual plot they were working on at any point or just some ideas he came up with on a whim.

How fun would it be if all of this was a PR stunt which leads up to the announcement of HL3????

:O

2 hours ago, InsanityBringer said:

i'm pretty certain most of that stuff was already cut by the time of the leak. The borealis was, at least. The leak only had its content since it contained the source almost every map made for hl2 up to that point.

also marc laidlaw is referring to the official thing as a "genderswap fanfic" and "something he had in a dream a while ago", so I have no idea if this is the actual plot they were working on at any point or just some ideas he came up with on a whim.

He's probably saying that to cover his ass legally. At this point there's no reason to not take it at face value. 

Well, this is a bit exciting, and a bit disappointing.

If this plot is just lost now, some people should at least make a fan game out of it, so we could finally get some sort of Half-Life 3.

So I finally got what I wanted: Episode 3's story. Honestly, I've been angry at Valve, and this just makes me angrier. It was obvious for years that Gaben killed it, but this coming out is concrete confirmation.

Thanks, Gabe "card games and RTS with microtransactions are more profitable than traditional single player games" Newell.

And a genuine, non-sarcastic thank you to Laidlaw for the closure.

Half life is one of my favourite game series of all time. I had hope in my heart that Valve were gonna do something amazing with HL3 and shock us all. 

Sadly they're more interested in raking in cash with microtransactions. 

I'm actually depressed because of this.

Laidlaw is a legend (he was already) for posting this, I'm so pissed at modern day Valve.