Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

Praise for Doomworld

After reading katarhyne's post, forgive me if i spelled the name wrong, well i felt moitvated to express my appreciation..though i've hardly been here that long.

First, to all you veterans on here, i appreciate all the direction you give us humble newbies who sit in your shadows, alot of the people aren't mean on here, i try not to ask any dumb questions, but sometimes i do...I'll usually try searching the pages or FAQS before trying to ask about everything...which is what- most everyone SHOULD do...still,I'm learning.

I just wanted to say this is the coolest forum i've seen to date..most everybody here has something in common and all of us have one thing in common, DOom. There isn't like a bunch of flaming and spamming for no reason and i notice even the arguments in one subject don't carry on into something else. Well some would say when guys fight it's never personal.

WEll...visiting this site is one of the highlights of my day, renewed my appreciation for classic games like Doom and will help be to build a foundation for the computer skills-mainly programming, but not limited to- that I'd like to acquire...I notice alot of diversity of talent here, which is what i want.

Well, it's given me goals to shoot for and relates to my schooling, so i get experience while having a hobby, which is really cool. Frankly you've put some meaning back into my life, rather than me just knowing...i want to learn computers, which I've felt when i first started basic...and I want to do something with games, (though i truly suck at certain ones)...which i've known since age 4 when i first set my googling eyes on the glossy gold cover of Zelda for the NES...as my cousin pulled it out from underneath the couch.

Especially at a time, when I'm seperated from my girlfriend..who is in other state, where she's been inundated in a crackpot religion since birth. (The only thing we disagree on, I'm a christian, it's not christianity) and I'm just getting used to living on my own...though I've lived out of my parent's house for 2 years now. I now have a purpose, and that is to Doom!...not really...I'd like to make my own TC someday, but for now I'd just like to work on doing some decent level WADS.

Thank you guys.

Xanthier said:

visiting this site is one of the highlights of my day

It has that effect on most of us

DW keeps me from hating school as much. Then again, some webcomics have the same effect as well.

While i am annoyed that a good deal of the doomworld regulares up and left becaus of a Cretan members banning, (the remaing regulers know who I'm talking about), the overall Attitude has improved somewhat over the last three months. Is the exodus in someway linked two this?Maybe, but I think it has more to do with source ports getting more resignation. Ether way, this place is just that more present a place to troll. :)

thanks for the good words. Doomworld does rule. it's not nearly as overwhelming as other major doom sites i've seen. and everyone here in the forums are okay people. which is why i've never changed. I'm nearing 1000 posts and I couldn't be happier.

Submerge said:

thanks for the good words. Doomworld does rule. it's not nearly as overwhelming as other major doom sites i've seen. and everyone here in the forums are okay people. which is why i've never changed. I'm nearing 1000 posts and I couldn't be happier.

Yeah I don't like the other doom sites as much as this one, agreed.

Well, um, thanks I guess. I agree with you that Doomworld is a very entertaining place to be, and the forums are undoubtedly the best part of Doomworld. :)

Wow! I was just about to post a thread about the same thing. I love it here and I never expected so much help from our fellow doom comrades. DoomWorld is heaven on earth and I pray god look with favor upon this web site and deliver it through the internet with safety.

gatewatcher said:

Don't take DW too seriously, to the extent that it is your entire life. Then, you'll end up like railgunner.

What the hell happened to him?

I was wondoring where he went. What happened? As I am usually the last one to know.

Well, his member status is currently "BANNED because I used the DW forums to collect emails to SPAM about my dad's FUCKING RETARDED website", so...

I'm not complaining.

He was getting Kinda tardy to some extent before he was banned, even check Post Hell, hes got a few in there showing a Slight downfall in people looking at him optimisticly, imo.

Ive been watching this site for about 2 years, but I finaly signed up now.

Im very boored and looking for reasons not to write my paper for school, (I hate school, now I remember why I droped out of collage).

I have been hooked on DOOM since my friend first got his hands on the super secret AlphaDOOM in early 1993. I was sill getting over how real Comanchie (the old 3D voxel chpper game) and still playing Wolf 3D on my super cool Sound Blaster Pro (I was 31337). This same friend gave a tape with .MOD music on one side and NIN on the other (my fisrt intorduction), so I used to run around in AlphaDOOM listining to Pretty hate machine.

I remember all the rumers about networking and voice through the soundcard and over the network (mabey finaly in Doom III, 10 years late :) )

Then I found quake, ah, quake and Orbital Music (I still say there saying "Quad Damage" in Speadfreak, if you dont know what Quad damage is you ARE hardcore DOOM, or really poor and still running a 386, possibly married :) ), but alas the server I played on (Duracell) took away the grapple hook, as a "Kh4Mp3R" I just could not get along without a grapel, i tried Q2 and Q3, but they are not Khamper Friendly, so I went back to SP games, the standard fare, Theif, HL, Dus ex, but when I heard that Doom III was to come out (The Paul Steed fallout) I deced to go back and play through all the official Id doom series (Ultamite, II, TnT, Plut), Heritec, and Hexen Dark citadel WITHOUT Cheating (I had only played Hexen thorugh w/o cheats), so that was about 2 years ago and i did it (execpt Dark Cyt, I hate hexen puzzels, evil, evil), but now Ive been playing with Doom edit an dloading WADs so here I am.

In my late term search Ive come to see thet Doomworld is like Constanobal after the fall of Rome, Doom world stands as the last functional beacon of the Great empire that was the Doom scene, the fall of cdrom was like the fall of rome, this site is all we have left, yes there are echos and ruins of doom all over the net, but they are a waste land of hidden sites with dead links that just make me sad fo not getting into doom editing earlyer.

Quad Damage = A mere shadow of the glory that is the Berserk Pack - part of the great flavour of the berserk powerup was that it turned your weakest weapon into quite a deadly toy - the Quad just makes things too easy...
IMO

Xanthier said:

After reading katarhyne's post, forgive me if i spelled the name wrong, well i felt moitvated to express my appreciation..though i've hardly been here that long.

Sorry, which Katarhyne post, can someone link me? Thanks in advance.

mewse said:

Sorry, which Katarhyne post, can someone link me? Thanks in advance.

I believe he means This one. But Im not 100% sure tho, correct me if Im wrong though. Btw, its the third post down.

DOOM Anomaly said:

I believe he means This one. But Im not 100% sure tho, correct me if Im wrong though. Btw, its the third post down.

Yes, that is indeed the post he is talking about.

bigbadgangsta said:

Yes, that is indeed the post he is talking about.

Yay! I was right for once! /me rejoices...But im not really surprised that I got it right, I mean, that was a dam good post imo, made me think (yes, thats right I actually used my brain for positive reasons for once), and its all thanks to Katarhyne's awesome post ^_^

Archaeo said:

Wow! I was just about to post a thread about the same thing. I love it here and I never expected so much help from our fellow doom comrades. DoomWorld is heaven on earth and I pray god look with favor upon this web site and deliver it through the internet with safety.

Amen fellow Doomer

DOOM Anomaly said:

Yay! I was right for once! /me rejoices...But im not really surprised that I got it right, I mean, that was a dam good post imo, made me think (yes, thats right I actually used my brain for positive reasons for once), and its all thanks to Katarhyne's awesome post ^_^

Yes that was the one, your so funny Doom Anom, I'm becoming accustomed to your weirding ways...;)