Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

Have you ever stopped playing Doom and moved on to something else?

So, to begin this with a simple question, have you ever stopped playing Doom and have you moved on to some other gaming franchise, but later came back for all the fun and gore? Well, in my case, it was pretty damn complicated.

I became a Doom fan ever since the new 2016 Doom came out, and tbh I absolutely loved it, and I learnt about the whole series soon. But after a couple of months of playing Doom, I had moved on to another competitive franchise, Halo, to check it out.

And, for a brief time, I Felt Halo as a little bit better than Doom, but the main problem is, I don't own an Xbox('Cause Halo games are Xbox exclusives). So I was feeling bad and I just quit Halo. By far, the ONLY Halo games I had on my PC is Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo Wars and those 2 top-down shooters. Shortly after, I went on to other games such as Rocket League and Minecraft, which were pretty damn awesome. And then finally, I came back here. I replayed some of the Doom levels - new and old and I slowly felt attracted to the franchise again.

By the way, it has been a year since I joined Doomworld. So, thank you guys so much for all your love and support.

I seem to have this monthly gaming session where I only play and sometimes map/mod for one game almost every day, then next month move to another game that takes my interest. Last month was Unreal, this month is Quake, next month would be something else. It's a habit for years now and this kinda tends to make me have quite alot of unfinished things clogging up in my hard drive, and why I seem to have difficulties releasing something.

I'm playing Doom on and off. Would've been hard to not have any breaks for all these years.

Often it's Quake, and I had a few Marathon binges in the past. Too bad it has such a limited amount of user-created content. Mostly because when you do find something that interests you, the links are usually dead (aside from a small bunch of things popular enough for the remaining fanbase to preserve).

For quite a few years now, I'm not as enthusiastic about playing Doom content as I am about creating something on my own, though it still means checking out notable contributions from time to time to see what other people are up to.

I play FTL and TF2 ... and get forced by friends to play terrible games. I give them a fair shot for 10 - 20 minutes then bail. That's really all the time I can devote to most games outside of Doom, FTL and TF2. As you'll note games with more than 4 characters are a bit much to muster.

Its been a year since you've joined Doomworld... its time to celebrate!

10 minutes ago, geo said:

Its been a year since you've joined Doomworld... its time to celebrate!

Was that a pun(Judging by the title of the video)?

29 minutes ago, TFK said:

Was that a pun(Judging by the title of the video)?

Completely.

I stopped playing Doom in 1994 (after a short trip into DOOM II) because I was a bit tired playing the same game (though I preferred Wolfenstein 3D back then), almost every day, for a year.

At school, we switched to Descent, then Syndicate, etc.

I started again in 2009 or 2010. Since then, I play casually, sometimes when I need my dose of demon-slaughtering, trying stuff found on doomworld.com, etc.

Edited by soner du

6 minutes ago, soner du said:

I stopped playing Doom in 1993 (after a short trip into DOOM II) because I was a bit tired playing the same game (though I preferred Wolfenstein 3D back then), almost every day, for a year.

Time traveler, huh?

Fuzzy memory, I correct my post !

I stopped playing DOOM a few weeks after DOOM II came out, so it was in December 1994 or January 1995.

Doom has basically always been my favorite game, there are times where I go a while without playing and spend more time on other games and hobbies in general but I'll never "move on" from Doom. Even if I were to go a really long time without playing, it will always be a thing I think fondly of.

I stopped playing doom  at 2007 and came back at 2010... then I stopped playing it again at 2012 then after 5 years (last month) I came back into playing it.

Between 2007 -2010 I was interested in a game called coded arms and call of duty modern warfaare, yes I only Played those game for a straight three years , considering I had financial problems anyways

Between 2012 - 2017 I was interested in valve games including  team fortrees 2 , counter strike global offensive and the complete half life series 

Yeah, it certainly happens sometimes. My advice is to make sure that you have enough other hobbies to occupy your mind. If you spend like half of your free time playing Doom, it's gonna hit really hard when you realize that it's not as fun as it used to be. But when you have tons of other things to do, it's pretty easy to put one of them on hold.

2016 - Halo Online

Now - Batman Arkham Knight is where i'm at, I've been playing through the whole Arkham series this year and Arkham Knight is so far my favorite of the three, Not counting Arkham origins which I haven't got to play, I heard it got mixed reviews and all, It's safe to skip that entry because It doesn't really add much to the main series, current 96% done of Arkham Knight, Riddler is all that's left, 94/243 Riddles solved.

For a while i tried to make maps for wolfenstein 3D. I just couldn't find a way to get them to work.

I quit Doom in 1996 because it started to look crappy with its measly 320x200 when more modern games could do 640x480 or more. Once that problem was solved without resorting to Doom95 I was back.

Stopped playing and modding in 2003, returned in 2011 after lurking for a year and playing catchup with Plutonia 2 and PRCP -- those two were basically my gateway drug back, in fact. Never underestimate my love for Plutonia.

Heh...even having a job and working non-stop, I can't stop playing Doom...

Of course, there was some random intervals here and there of days, weeks or months...and I'm still playing it

After I released Eternally Yours I was intending to move on from Doom into more real-life things. I spend half of 2012 going through a module 1 book for C++ and got halfway through that before I decided it wasn't for me. Gaming-wise I ended up playing a lot of SNES games including ones I'd never played before, and I discovered quite a few hidden gems in the SNES library like Super Turrican 1 & 2, Run Saber, Metal Warriors, and Hagane: The Final Conflict. I was pretty much addicted to playing the latter game since it was kind of like a combination of classic Ninja Gaiden and Contra with set-piece action and boss battles. I was also on the lookout for classic N64 and PS1 games for a while and was into that for a while along with a few other consoles. Eventually, John Romero made his first new Doom level in over 20 years and that caught my interest at the beginning of 2016 and suddenly rekindled my interest in Doom.

I did also make quite a few unexpected speed maps in my inactivity - most of which makes up what Vispire is along with some single-map outings.

After I finish up my "Shores of Phil" UDoom mapset(and getting married) back in 2011, I started focusing on Halo 3 & Halo Reach til over a year later I got more into Team Fortress 2 & CSGO on PC. Then 2014 came around and spent 3 years on & off on a little game call Destiny which I spent around 1200+ hours on both PS4 & Xbox One til early July of 2017.

Now I'm back playing some new wads I've missed out :)

10 minutes ago, Philnemba said:

Then 2014 came around and spent 3 years on & off on a little game call Destiny which I spent around 1200+ hours on both PS4 & Xbox One til early July of

Now I'm back playing some new wads I've missed out :)

Wow! That's quite a long time for playing Destiny! Did you play all of the expansions as well?

2 hours ago, soner du said:

I stopped playing Doom in 1994 (after a short trip into DOOM II) because I was a bit tired playing the same game (though I preferred Wolfenstein 3D back then), almost every day, for a year.

At school, we switched to Descent, then Syndicate, Tibet 3D Pro etc.

I started again in 2009 or 2010. Since then, I play casually, sometimes when I need my dose of demon-slaughtering, trying stuff found on doomworld.com, etc.

I also stopped playing it in 1994. But I never deny the truth that Doom is a legendary game in my childhood. It's really awesome

2 hours ago, TFK said:

Wow! That's quite a long time for playing Destiny! Did you play all of the expansions as well?

Yep & I was even active in 2 different clans on both platforms at one point doing end game raids almost every week :) 

I drop in and out with it, I can spree it/be obsessed for a minimum of two weeks, but usually no more than one or two months, before going on another hiatus.

Years ago I stopped playing Doom for about 2-3 weeks and tried out some other modern shooting and racing games. I couldn't play those cool games much because of my old and poor pc. Also played some arcade fighting games that time. But then back in Doom again!! I love it ;) now I play sometimes, whatever wad I like and work on my own maps.

2 hours ago, Philnemba said:

Yep & I was even active in 2 different clans on both platforms at one point doing end game raids almost every week :) 

Well, the sequel is out. So, would you play it?

I lost my one passion for mapping a while ago, hence my lack of provided content of substance here.

I'll play it occasionally to either try and up my leaderboard rating on the XBLA port (I'm close to the top 300 in Ultimate Doom) or to just relax after infuriating events.

I haven't really moved on, I kinda just drift from game to game, if I was going to go off time played however I'd say I'm now on Warframe and Fallout 4.

Spoiler

For those interested, all 0 of you, I just checked and I'm 299th in the world for XBLA Ultimate Doom

Edited by mrthejoshmon

6 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

For those interested, all 0 of you, I just checked and I'm 299th in the world for XBLA Ultimate Doom

Thats cool, now calculate how many of those people cheated, and adjust your leaderboard score from there. I was kinda interested in the idea of working on those leaderboard scores, but after noticing how many people save edit on it, it really killed any desire for me to try and compete on it.