Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Average

Future of ZDoom?

This is probably a silly question but now that ZDoom has matured and ceased development do you guys think that the engine has a future in the demo community?  ZDoom has always had the problem of demos breaking with every release.  That's not an issue anymore.

So, do you think it has a future or do you think ZDoom is just plain dead (not talking about QZDoom). :)

I don't think demo compatibility was ever the reason most people don't record zdoom demos, so it's pretty unlikely to change at all.  The main problem is that zdoom's features for demo recording and playback are garbage.

While kraflab touches the truth, I also believe having a "feature complete" version in 2.8.1 could lead to more demo activity. I certainly withheld myself from recording on a zdoom map in the past because I hated the idea of encumbering future viewers with having to chase down proper executables.

52 minutes ago, dew said:

While kraflab touches the truth, I also believe having a "feature complete" version in 2.8.1 could lead to more demo activity. I certainly withheld myself from recording on a zdoom map in the past because I hated the idea of encumbering future viewers with having to chase down proper executables.

All demos made in 2.8.1, barring bugs, should be replayable in that version.

theoretically it works but i havent seen an uptick in zdoom demos since it stopped development; people will get warned off zdoom ("gzdoom is still being developed, dont use zdoom!") so i dont see it helping the situation.

I've been way outta the Doom loop for SO LONG, I barely get a vote.............but ZDoom is my jam! It's very easy on the eyes!