Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Royal_Sir

What food can you make the best?

Anyone here master a culinary dish? We may not have studied to become chefs, but all of us is pretty good at making at least one food or another.

For instance, I make the best nachos in my region. Corn chips with Boar's Head 3 Cheese with peppers, beans and chopped chilis, cilantro, and sprigg onions...

nachos.jpg.49c1fb26500669eea16b335aeaf133e5.jpg

So what are you adept at creating? Try to include pictures to show off!

'ere we go 'ere we go 'ere we go 'ere we go 'ere we go 'ere we go! 

caucau.jpg

I can cook a steak. With pasta on the side.

Pizza

Grilled salmon

Pan-seared New York Strip Steak

Stir-fried chicken with walnuts

[Many others]

Pasta and frozen pizza. They're the easiest.

I'm quite an exceptional cook as long as its not too elaborate and time consuming like souffle, baked Alaska and beef wellington. My friend is a pro chef with a culinary degree and outside of elaborate things I can keep up with him. All I need is the recipe. Some recipes on the back of boxes are incorrect regardless of the specific oven they're cooked in.

I also remember how criticized I was on my presentation by the chef friend who explained you just dropped $30 on the meal to make it and it doesn't look like its worth $15 each. Get better plates, get better garnish and have some style otherwise its just dog food on a plate. Keep in mind this was literally me cooking in a home kitchen.

I've cooked scallops and lobster rosoto, basically 2 things that people always manage to mess up. Seemed fairly easy to me, then again I don't have an entire kitchen of them going. The first time I wanted to cook scallops the guy at the deli wouldn't even sell them to me. "Do you like them?" "Well how would you know if you've cooked them right?" "Are either of you allergic to shellfish? because I assume there's a girl involved." "I'm not going to sell them to you if you've never had them before."

The shame is I haven't cooked in 3+ years. So chances are I've forgotten most everything and it will take me 6 - 12 months to get back at that level as its done time and time again.

Its my hidden talent as I remember in my younger years people found out I can cook so they'd force me to cook things and well wtf? At times I'd make meals for 6 people on a nightly basis as I dated someone with 3 roommates. At least I learned how to time out meals and juggle making several meals at once.

Edited by geo

many foods but most of them are czech traditional foods Which you probably do not know, like svickova or vepro, knedlo, zelo Even over the young age i have(21) :-)

I tend to cook simple foods like scrambled eggs, or quesadillas, but the most complex recipe i know how to make good, it's Mac n' cheese, not the "instant" one you find on every supermarket. Was curious about how it was supposed to taste, so i found a recipe and ever since i've made them waay too many times that it comes perfect every time (as long as i have the correct ingredients)

Last month i made some ramen, i fucked up the meat part, so when it finished cooking it had this odd "uncooked meat" smell, but when i cooked the noodles in the soup, it was quite delicious, so i might try it again

Hotdog : Just take a bread , put a sausage inside and some mustard.

I make a bomb ass chili. Crushed tomatoes, fire roasted diced tomatoes, onions, 2lbs of ground beef, black & kidney beans, and 4-5 different spices.

Still working on expanding my repertoire. Slowly.

I make some awesome tomato-chili-vegetable-chickpea sauce. Pizzas have turned out pretty good too.

Best in the area? That's a tough one, as I'v some pretty damn skilled restaurants near me, But I would have to say I can make the best Pizza, Fried desserts and sandwitches (grilled, baked, or cold) for quite the distance. I'm very good at cooking many things, I think it's because I'm kinda sensitive to textures and tastes and have just over a decade's worth of professional Experience.

I'm ace in the kitchen when I wanna be. I can make you a damn good sandwich with all the fixin's. Ramen is always a meal and a half when I make it, too. I never make just the pack: I toss in some diced celery, pulled rotisserie chicken meat, diced onions (white or green), powdered ginger, and chili oil. If I have beef roast handy, I definitely use it in beef ramen for the next, like, week. I also make a mean beef stew from a recipe the parents and I customized from a cookbook. And my chicken soup kicks ass, partly cos I don't use carrots (it makes the broth too sweet, and I like it savory).

Even breakfast shit I'm a stickler for. Everyone I know makes oatmeal by bringing the water to a boil, then adding the oats, which doesn't make sense to me. I put the oats and water in the pot together before I put it on the burner, then it comes out nice and creamy and doesn't take five minutes to make. Toss in some blueberries and a dash o' sugar and it's good eating.

Incidentally, a tip for making the perfect fluffy scrambled eggs: when the eggs start sizzlin', hold the pan on the burner as you fluff them for no more than ten seconds, then take them off the burner and keep fluffing for another ten seconds. Alternate on and off the burner at ten second intervals til the eggs come out how you like em. They should come out perfectly fluffy every time, with no brown spots.

Also for those of you who like to make new stuff in the kitchen, try braised lion's head. It's a pan full of fist-sized meatballs comprised of ground pork, diced shrimp, and minced ginger, cooked in napa cabbage. It's fucking great.

The most complicated thing that I have cooked by myself was a souvlaki burrito with cheese. I don't do cuisine.

I'm pretty good at cooking most Japanese, Indian, and Mexican dishes.  Of those, I would say my oyakodon and Kansai-style okonomiyaki; chicken vindaloo and chicken makhani; and Colorado-style green chili like you get at Chubby's or Santiago's are my best dishes, respectively.  Presentation is something I put very little effort into, however, as I don't place a lot of value in it.  I just want it to taste good.

Anyway, here's a picture of some oyakodon I made tonight:

8BQFOKy.jpg

Pretty much just how I remember it from when I lived in Osaka, except I'm poor as hell and had to use dried parsley instead of mitsuba tonight :-/

I can do it all, YOU WANT FRIES WITH THAT BABY? I got 'em. It's all in the prep. Like soak the potato wedges/fries in water over night to get that starch out. Then you can't just go throwing it in the oil once, you have to do it two times. Once at a lower temp (like 300 F) and you're just softening it up. Then you gotta work in batches for all the fries, so once they're all softened then you can turn the heat up to like 400 F (if you have a thermometer which I don't, just watch what you're doing) and THEN make them crispy.

Cooking things the right way can be pretty time consuming but worth it. The only thing I haven't attempted is like making tortillas and apparently that's pretty easy. 

I also like to make soups, they're healthy for you, and of course I love making salsa too but I don't know how I feel about these New Mexico chili's, I'm so used to the ones from Colorado I guess because I made better salsa over there somehow. Eh, maybe I'm just a bit rusty is all. I get too lazy sometimes and don't even wanna cook. I mean I love cooking and all but yeah lol and don't even try and make me work in a kitchen because it's too much for me. I can cook for people on holidays and stuff but I mean, that's a different kind of feeling, like I actually enjoy it. The pressure in a work environment is very different and makes me almost hate having to cook, so I avoid it. 

If you want a meat dish, I'm your man. Porkchops? Pan seared with a ton of onions and slathered in smokey, thick, gravy. Chicken? Shove it in a dutch oven with herbs, garlic, onions, potatoes, broth, and a brick of schmaltz. Steak? Cooked to perfection on the grill.

All my recipes are simple and tasty, nothing too complicated here.

Mostly lots of oil and S&P.

I also make savory sauces.

I can cook other stuff aside from meat but meat dishes are my passion.

Anyways, long and short of it is, I like savory shit.