Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr Noob

A question about Final Doom

Though Doom is a really old game, I've not really gotten into it until recent times, with the addition of the mod "Brutal Doom". After completing Ultimate Doom and Doom 2, I'm now getting onto Final Doom.

So, as everybody knows Final Doom has two separate stories: Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment. They have no chronological order, they are alternate conclusions to Doom. Obviously, I'd be interested in experimenting with both wads. But in order to "finish" Final Doom and the classic doom series as a whole, is it necessary to complete both of these alternate conclusions, or do I simply pick one conclusion, one wad? I hope I make sense.

In other words, does Final Doom allow me to choose my preferred storyline as a means of completion, like alot of modern games do?

Edited by Mr Noob

On this forum there are some differing opinions as to whether or not "Doomguy" from Doom1 and Doom2 are, in fact, the same person:

Stemming from that, I don't think there's any conclusive evidence to suggest that the protagonist you play as in either installment of Final Doom is necessarily the same protagonist in the first two games, even if it's the same protagonist in the first two games alone. Therefore, the answer to your question is likely no. It's better to think of Doomguy as an avatar rather than an actual character.

Although I understand the intent for your question, my opinion is that it isn't worth delving too deeply into the topic. Storyline has always taken a backseat in Doom and feels more like an afterthought in Final Doom than it does in the original IWADs. Granted, that hasn't stopped our community from filling in the blanks, real or imagined, regardless. 

I've taken all your comments under advisement, and I appreciate the feedback. Based on your feedback and some brainstorming on my part, I have come to a strong conclusion:

Irrespective of all the minor flaws and storyline issues, at the end of the day Final Doom has two wads (duh). Both wads must be finished in order to complete Final Doom and henceforth the classic Doom series. Otherwise there is no point in having two wads. Why would they put in two wads if the intention was not to complete both? Nor has it been mentioned anywhere that Final Doom gives you any kind of "choice". The only real choice is the wad you want to play first, and it is recommended to play Evilution first because it's easier. Plus, the Final Doom e-manual I read clearly stipulates that Evilution and Plutonia are both part of Final Doom, I mean, you don't even need the manual to tell you that really. I failed to see the obvious, but have now grown in wisdom.

And yes, Doom's storyline is really messed up with a ton of contradictions (like the Bible). Determining "canon" is difficult. But storyline was never Doom's priority, it was all about the gameplay!

Edited by Mr Noob

13 hours ago, Mr Noob said:

to "finish" Final Doom

It's simple: Nobody bothered to officially define what does it mean to objectively "finish" Final Doom, because there wasn't any important-enough reason to. Final Doom's creators/publishers didn't give away awards to players who would meet some kind of verifiable completion requirements, or anything like that. The games were meant to be enjoyed just for actually playing them.

18 hours ago, Mr Noob said:

But in order to "finish" Final Doom and the classic doom series as a whole...

Don't forget Doom 64.

19 hours ago, Mr Noob said:

In other words, does Final Doom allow me to choose my preferred storyline as a means of completion, like alot of modern games do?

If you're looking for some sort of complete story arc in your Doom experience, then I'd say you could approach it this way. It really doesn't matter though, cause Final Doom is technically two PWADs released commercially. You could technically substitute them for any 32 map megawad released by the community over the years and make that your official headcanon. Hope this eases your mind and helps you to continue enjoying Doom!

If you choose the Plutonia route doomguy becomes a sadist, if you choose the Evilution route doomguy becomes a masochist.

On 28.8.2017 at 3:13 AM, Mr Noob said:

Though Doom is a really old game, I've not really gotten into it until recent times, with the addition of the mod "Brutal Doom". After completing Ultimate Doom and Doom 2, I'm now getting onto Final Doom.

So, as everybody knows Final Doom has two separate stories: Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment. They have no chronological order, they are alternate conclusions to Doom. Obviously, I'd be interested in experimenting with both wads. But in order to "finish" Final Doom and the classic doom series as a whole, is it necessary to complete both of these alternate conclusions, or do I simply pick one conclusion, one wad? I hope I make sense.

...not quite sure if this question has been answered completely by now.

1st it's helpful to know the story behind how "Final Doom" was made.

The two episodes TNT and Plutonia are both actually nothing more than two seperate user made Megawads. That's it. They have nothing to do with each other... especially when it comes to storyline. They are completely separate.

So there is no particular order you have to play them in - when it comes to storyline.  

get some more info here:

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Final_Doom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Doom

I played Final Doom when it came out and had the same problem like you. I also thought there must be some kind of order to play the games in and some kind of connection to Doom II in which case Final Doom would have been Doom 3 - in but there wasn't any connection - which was somehow disappointing.

HOWEVER - Having said all that I would recommend that you play TNT first and then Plutonia for the simple reason that Plutonia is much harder!

One last thought... since you seem to enjoy a story background. I think you might enjoy TNT more then Plutonia. Both Wads have a story... but IMHO, TNT feels much deeper.

Have fun